exhaust and jet kit in rochester, cheap...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda unrelated, but what exactly is the benefit of so-called "performance" clutches other than a pretty anodized color? Isn't a clutch a clutch? It either works or it doesn't?

more holding power. i don't think its really necessary for an every day rider?

Once you upgrade your clutch you will think differently about that. A stock max clutch does slip more then you think.

fair enough kevin. i wouldn't know either way. when my plates need replacing maybe i'll do an upgrade.

Kinda unrelated, but what exactly is the benefit of so-called "performance" clutches other than a pretty anodized color? Isn't a clutch a clutch? It either works or it doesn't?

That "pretty anodized" part is a Barnett pressure plate. The nice thing about the Barnett piece is that it will allow you get rid of the diaphragm spring and replace it with coil springs. Many people prefer the feel of a clutch with coil springs over a diaphragm spring. Coil spring clutches generally offer more "feel" to them. For anyone who thinks that the vmax clutch is either off or on, the coil spring conversion mod may be what you want.

The barnett coil spring conversion will give you a bit more holding power than than the stock setup too. If you remove the half plate, retaining wire, and spring seat and put in a full plate and do the coil spring conversion you will have a pretty good holding clutch. But, the DD clutch will hold better than the Barnett will IMO. You can also play with spring preload if you want more holding power with the Barnett setup by putting some washers on the springs. Just gotta watch for coil bind.

I was debating doing this but with some factory yamaha parts instead of buying the Barnett kit. I got all the parts to do the swap except for a new pair of coil springs which are around $20.00. I'm not sure if I'm actually going to do the swap or not. If anyone is interested in buying the parts, shoot me a PM. The total cost, including new springs, would be cheaper than the Barnett setup.

those so called strong springs from barnett suck..I had a set made custom for mine alot stronger spring..I went from DD to barnett and was a joke even with the strong springs til i had special ones made to my specs...

Again realize I am 200 pounds ,,run a bored out 12-1 compression stage 4 cams,,,down draft carbs and nitrous so i need the over kill for the track..Now im sure most everyone else unless you are running something near the 130hp and up im sure will have no problem with the strong barnett springs..it just barnett really dropped the ball when they made the so called strong springs...

those so called strong springs from barnett suck..I had a set made custom for mine alot stronger spring..I went from DD to barnett and was a joke even with the strong springs til i had special ones made to my specs...

Again realize I am 200 pounds ,,run a bored out 12-1 compression stage 4 cams,,,down draft carbs and nitrous so i need the over kill for the track..Now im sure most everyone else unless you are running something near the 130hp and up im sure will have no problem with the strong barnett springs..it just barnett really dropped the ball when they made the so called strong springs...

Im not happy with my barnett. It seems to lock and hold, but its like a on and off light switch. Its not easy fanning/slipping for a hard launch.

Latest posts

Back