Going to buy Marks or Holeshot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep in mind if you have a braced swingarm, marks pipe with his crossover probably wont fit. Depends on the brace that you have, so better check first before you order and find out the hard way.

Thanks everyone for the input, I'm going with Mark's. Any opinions on jet kits and air filters to go with the new pipes?

I'm running at Sea Level, stock jets, shimmed needles 0.028, could go up to 0.038-0.040 with no ill effects. AF Screws 3-1/4 turns out. Runs on the economy side at about 14 to 1 Air Fuel Ratio.

Mark can make recommendations. Sean Morley has his own jet kits for sale.

Good Choice, Good Luck......:biglaugh:

Love the looks and sound of my Holeshots (got them black ceramic coated for a great look). Get many compliments on how my bike sounds. Spun 121 RWHP on a hot day in Kansas without the carbs being fine tuned. Got a stage 7 and Holeshots and I'm a happy man....I'm a Holeshot fan.

Darren:punk:

Dekberg, that's an impressive number, but I have decided to go with Mark's. Holeshots are nearly 400 dollars more and a bit salty for my budget. I ordered them today. SS, 4-2, 14" cans, and no tips. Mark was great on the phone, answered all my questions. SpecOps13 he told me the same thing you say regarding shimming the needles, the number he mentioned was .040. I'm guessing that going tjat far may would increase power, but reduce mileage, right?

Simple Answer, Yes... Mine is on the lean side at almost exactly 14:1 Air Fuel. Only Dyno Run I've had was with a slipping clutch at the time. 101.79 is all she'd pull...Make sure the needles have the little pin in the hole when they go back together and at 0.040, make certain the needles aren't binding on the plastic cap that screws in on top of them...

My bike is a stock 88'. I replaced my Kerker 4into1 with a mark's 4into1. I dyno'd before and after. Kerker 108, marks 117. The plugs are still over my idle screws . My A/f ratio is still a little rich, but not to bad. I had a high of 48mpg over for about 1200 miles last summer, freeway miles. I think your going to like them
PS. Mark is as nice a guy in person as he is on the phone. Rand

Mark's exhaust 4-2, SS, 14" cans, 2" outlets, no tips.

I took it out for a test run this morning, it sounds great, but I'm thinking earplugs are in order as the exhaust pulses between 3k and 4k hurt my ears a little bit. Aside from that, I like the consistent sound through the rpm range compared to drilled stock pipes.

I think it's safe to say that Mark's pipes have moved me from the category of "if I get a ticket" to "when I get a ticket"

Still need to adjust the carbs. Somewhere in this forum are pictures of the location of the A/F screws and also the large needles being removed from the carbs, looked last night for about an hour for these threads with no success. Anyone know what I"m talking about?

Owning a Vmax has been quite a learning experience for me so far and I'm looking forward to doing more mods in the future. If you would have asked me last year if I would ever consider replacing an exhaust system on a motorcycle, I would have said "no way, I'll pay someone to do it."

Thanks to all of you for your input and help, I've saved money and have accomplished something that I"m proud, again, Thanks everyone! I've made my donation to the forum and I would encourage anyone else who benefits from the collective knowledge of this great group of people to do the same.
progress.gif

Mark's exhaust 4-2, SS, 14" cans, 2" outlets, no tips.

I took it out for a test run this morning, it sounds great, but I'm thinking earplugs are in order as the exhaust pulses between 3k and 4k hurt my ears a little bit. Aside from that, I like the consistent sound through the rpm range compared to drilled stock pipes.

I think it's safe to say that Mark's pipes have moved me from the category of "if I get a ticket" to "when I get a ticket"

Still need to adjust the carbs. Somewhere in this forum are pictures of the location of the A/F screws and also the large needles being removed from the carbs, looked last night for about an hour for these threads with no success. Anyone know what I"m talking about?

Owning a Vmax has been quite a learning experience for me so far and I'm looking forward to doing more mods in the future. If you would have asked me last year if I would ever consider replacing an exhaust system on a motorcycle, I would have said "no way, I'll pay someone to do it."

Thanks to all of you for your input and help, I've saved money and have accomplished something that I"m proud, again, Thanks everyone! I've made my donation to the forum and I would encourage anyone else who benefits from the collective knowledge of this great group of people to do the same.
progress.gif

Your air fuel screws are probably still covered over by the stock brass plugs. They need to be drilled and then you screw a screw in and pull them out. Be careful when you drill them. Too far and you'll ruin the screw heads. They're on the bottom of the slide cover plates (silver round caps on the side of the carbs) 3 to 4 turns out from all the way in should be good.

I found that turn down tips take the edge off the sound. I have the straights now and like them. My wife and I wear earplugs in our helmets anyway.

Chris

My Kerker is pretty rusty but I was just going to have it recoated but after reading this I'm thinking I'm going to do a Mark's 4 into 1, I'm extending and bracing my swingarm over the winter and I want to have the exhaust on there that I'm gonna run so I only have to do the swingarm once. Just have to save some more cash over this summer I guess....

Well, it's been about three weeks now, running Mark's exhaust. All I can say is Sweeeeet! When I come up to an intersection and rev the throttle, heads turn, it's way cool. Last Saturday, I came up to an intersection and stopped behind a guy on a crotch rocket and gunned the engine. He turned around and looked and when the light turned green, he sped off in a big hurry, heh! I'm thinking I might of got to him a little bit. If any of fellas out there are trying to figure out what aftermarket exhaust to go with, I highly recommend Mark's.

Last edited:
Sounds good in a nasty sort of way:punk::punk::punk:. I think you made a good choice.

Mark's all the way. He can ceramic coat the headers black for same price. Actually if I was to do it again I would have it all coated except the cans! Sounds great. I get compliments everyday

John, what set up did you go with? Can length and opening?

I went with 14 inch cans and 2 inch outlets. It's a good volume for me, just enough to hear it at highway speeds without a helmet, but not so loud that the guys I ride with are annoyed.

Mark's all the way. He can ceramic coat the headers black for same price. Actually if I was to do it again I would have it all coated except the cans! Sounds great. I get compliments everyday

If I were to do it again, I would have did what you said. The black ceramics would have better matched the flat charcoal gray paint scheme.

Ya, all the youtube vids are at best teasers that can only give an idea of what it sounds like in person. I have absolutely no regrets. Congrats!

Latest posts

Back