Help me spend my itty bitty windfall?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee_brake

Reaction score
I've been quiet but I've been busy!
Another of my three out-of-production bikes is a little '92 CB750 Nighthawk and I LOVE that bike. Had it for years. It ain't fast, it ain't cool, it's just a lot of fun and simple to maintain and handles effortlessly. I love it so much that, years ago when I had a good government job, I bought a good-running parts bike for it. Put it up right for storage in the wood shed, never needed a single part, except a brake lever and a stripped out sprocket cover bolt.
So...I got the parts bike up and running (damn I love old Hondas for reliability) and sold it to a new rider tonight, to pay for stuff for my Vmax!
So no, it's not a lot of money but now I can do some stuff!

First on the list is a set of rearsets. I was looking at Boxenstopp's set, they're 22cm back and 3cm higher. They are the first rearsets you see in his catalog. Anybody know anything about them? If I had my way about it, I'd control the bike from the passenger pegs, so the farther back, the better.
But I can't see the quality at all in the photos. Are these a good set? Any ideas? Anybody ever worked with the Boxenstopp guy?

Next I need a fork brace. I'll be putting in some Progressive brand springs in the front...have to wait for the rear.
Which fork brace is the best bang for the buck? I really don't care if it's ugly, or even used. Because I have to put some money back for a rear tire too!

And of course Sean's seat. No need to convince me on that one, now I can finally go ahead and get it going.

I won't have the money now, but I can dream and I can't find it with a search: which exhausts retain the centerstand? UFO and what others? I'd love to know about a 4 into 1/2 into 4 where I can keep the centerstand with a reasonable amount of rejetting or none at all.

Would really appreciate any experience talking here.....woohoo I haven't held a wad of cash in a long, long time!

I'm wanting rear-sets as well, but I can't bring myself to spend that kind of $$ right now. I've seen a few different sets on eBay, but they are $400 and $450 (if I remember correctly) and it might be out of Florida, may even be Boxenstopp? I do have a set CAD'ed up, but we need to get them made. If you PM me your e-mail address I can send you some pictures I have collected of various rear sets.

As far as "needing a fork brace" I'm not sure if you really "need" it or not. It think there will be some who disagree with me, but I would save that money for something more worth-while. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the stock brace. If you have a wobble, check your steering head bearings. I do think the frame and swing arm flex and you might be better off getting solid motor mounts. I think I can get aluminum mounts for just under $70.

I may be able to be talked into selling my rear progressives. I think I have the 11.5" 412 springs. I have about 5k miles on them, and I think I may be putting the bike back to (mostly) stock.

Sean is working on a seat for me (or better be:clapping:) as we speak. I think you are going to the right guy for that.

He and others can talk more about the exhausts and options. I have a Kerker, so no center stand for me.

Jeff

As far as "needing a fork brace" I'm not sure if you really "need" it or not. It think there will be some who disagree with me, but I would save that money for something more worth-while. I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the stock brace. If you have a wobble, check your steering head bearings. I do think the frame and swing arm flex and you might be better off getting solid motor mounts. I think I can get aluminum mounts for just under $70.

I may be able to be talked into selling my rear progressives. I think I have the 11.5" 412 springs. I have about 5k miles on them, and I think I may be putting the bike back to (mostly) stock.

Jeff

I tend to agree on the fork brace - I have a big beefy one on my bike, but I don't think it makes an ounce of difference. Since I now have a spare original one (off my parts Venture-engined bike), I might try swapping it next month then I'll be able to tell for sure if it makes a difference or not.

I also have a spare pair of rear Progressive shocks, and they're also very low - maybe 11" or 11.5", and a little older (need cleaning up). I believe they're 440s though - again I'll have to check next month. :confused2:

Thank you VERY much for the advice, I'll hold off on the fork brace and look into solid engine mounts. If I can do it my garage at home I'd do it right away.

Are the stock shocks 13"? I know it sounds weird but I really don't want to be any lower in the saddle, I like a taller seat height! I'm hoping Sean can do his seat mod without putting me any lower on the bike, but whatever he must do, it's just agony now. I don't even have a "package;" I don't see how any grown man can endure that seat!

So nobody's running rearsets at least 15cm back, who can speak for or against them for quality or service?

Thank you VERY much for the advice, I'll hold off on the fork brace and look into solid engine mounts. If I can do it my garage at home I'd do it right away.

Are the stock shocks 13"? I know it sounds weird but I really don't want to be any lower in the saddle, I like a taller seat height! I'm hoping Sean can do his seat mod without putting me any lower on the bike, but whatever he must do, it's just agony now. I don't even have a "package;" I don't see how any grown man can endure that seat!

So nobody's running rearsets at least 15cm back, who can speak for or against them for quality or service?

Stock shock length is 13" and a second on the brutal stock seat.
I imagine Sean can do just about anything you want regarding the seat.

yea, we can do a lot with the seat but if I keep the stock seat height the look would be nasty.

I do have a used fork brace for the early bikes (92 and older). I sell progressive stuff new but jeffs shocks would be a good buy too. Lowering the bike will also help the handling but some like the extra suspension travel.

I have a used 4-2 UFO system as well though it has some damage to the head pipes. We have the tubing to fix them right now (just got it before I left for Jeffs to fix abes bike). Still won't be cheap but less then new cost.

I charge a bit more for the mounts so you can get them whereever. It's a good mod and with my unclean mind I imagine you may like the subtle increase in vibration. I had another Vmax lady rider tell me she couldn't buy one of my seats since she had a hard time letting her old man have his vmax back after she rode it with my seat (she has one too).

A braced swingarm will help some flexing too and there are a few here that can do that (including me lol - I have one on hand actually right now).

Sean Morley

Sean made my seat and it is not cut down too much(about a 1" or so) per Sean's suggestion b/c I'm run about 265-270#. It's wonderfully comfortable and I highly recommend it. Here's how my seat looks:

Attachments

• IMG_2789.jpg
    IMG_2789.jpg
    60.2 KB
  • IMG_2788.jpg
    IMG_2788.jpg
    71.8 KB

Finally, someone steps up to the plate without trying to sell out and say whats BS. For that,,,,,,I Salute You Jeff! and will buy you beer in Topeka :cheers:

Great, now there are some pictures of some rearsets on the way, I'd like to see some installed before dropping the cash.

So...looks like the solid motor mounts may liven up the "feel" of the bike more than a fork brace? I can understand that. I'd only read that the stock one was too wimpy.

Can I put in motor mounts myself without a big hassle? I have a bottle jack and large, muscley-armed friends who will lift in return for beer....

Dang I've been pinching my pennies so tight for so long, that I'm reluctant to make the fateful calls with credit card in hand at all! Except Sean. That seat is karma for some awful thing we all did in a former life or something.

Coffee_Brake, just wanted to throw one more go with Sean on the Seat, For me it was better money spent than my Walker Pipes and Jets. Great workmanship and fit for me was perfect, no more crushed Package:biglaugh:. I can walk after 200 miles in the saddle.

Just my .03cents

Great, now there are some pictures of some rearsets on the way, I'd like to see some installed before dropping the cash.

So...looks like the solid motor mounts may liven up the "feel" of the bike more than a fork brace? I can understand that. I'd only read that the stock one was too wimpy.

Can I put in motor mounts myself without a big hassle? I have a bottle jack and large, muscley-armed friends who will lift in return for beer....

Dang I've been pinching my pennies so tight for so long, that I'm reluctant to make the fateful calls with credit card in hand at all! Except Sean. That seat is karma for some awful thing we all did in a former life or something.

The back 2 motor mounts are the hardest to put in. The front ones are a lot easier. I believe there is a thread on replacing them, along with the part numbers.

Awww man, the rearsets look great. My bike will never look that cool, though! Snow must foster good-looking bikes or something!

Thanks, looking through this place for info on the delrin mounts....

I just ordered some parts from Boxenstopp a week or so ago. The guy is super nice, but he can be hard to understand if you're not familiar with people who hail from Germany. I speak German, so it wasn't a problem with me. He does speak fluent English, but with a heavy accent.

Only bad thing about his products is that some of them he doesn't have in stock and has to order from Germany. I'm on a 3-4 week wait time for the parts I ordered because they have to get shipped from Germany. But he's on top of his paperwork and has promised to call as soon as he receives the parts in!

Overall, he seems like a great man who runs a great business. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again (unless I found the product cheaper elsewhere)

Finally, someone steps up to the plate without trying to sell out and say whats BS. For that,,,,,,I Salute You Jeff! and will buy you beer in Topeka :cheers:
I agree with this! I have a brace for one and only one reason. Because the stocker looks like poo when you lower your fender on it. I can't see ANY reason why the stocker isn't up to the task of providing the support or rigidity that's needed up front.

As far as exhaust systems are concerned I would look at Holeshot and Marks if you want to keep the center stand. Holeshot has all the parts you need to keep the stand. Meaning they offer the bump stop and such that you'll need.

I wouldn't piss on UFO if Jon was burning. :damn angry: lol

Real rubber helps too. Metzler ME880's are awesome!

I just ordered some parts from Boxenstopp a week or so ago. The guy is super nice, but he can be hard to understand if you're not familiar with people who hail from Germany. I speak German, so it wasn't a problem with me. He does speak fluent English, but with a heavy accent.

Only bad thing about his products is that some of them he doesn't have in stock and has to order from Germany. I'm on a 3-4 week wait time for the parts I ordered because they have to get shipped from Germany. But he's on top of his paperwork and has promised to call as soon as he receives the parts in!

Overall, he seems like a great man who runs a great business. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him again (unless I found the product cheaper elsewhere)

You are right, he seemed friendly over the phone but I wasn't sure he understood me. I tried to keep my "southern" to a minimum! I suppose my Bavarian drinking buddy who also has a Vmax would order for me....at least he'd understand what I wanted...

Both my Concours and the Vmax love the ME880's, and they are on sale at my local dealer right now!

I'm pretty sure I can get you a set of aluminum ones shipped to you for $85 or maybe a little less? I haven't had any experience with the Delrin, but I have heard they can crack after time. Let me know if you are interested.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back