Hey, any reloaders?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many others reload. I've been reloading pistol rounds for many years. I currently use a Lee turret press, Lee scales and powder measure and load .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt, .38+P and .357 mag. Unique powder works well and I like either Hornady 185 gr. HP/XTP or 185 gr Nosler HP, depending on what my intended use is.
That's kinda old school stuff, I'd like to hear about some of the newer rounds if anybody else is into this.
I find it comforting to know I have the capability of cranking out several hundred rounds in a short time, real comforting.

I reload both .40s (the most inherently innacurate round ever, hugley over rated) and 10mm ( then most versitile round ever, hugely under-rated). I can load the 10mm to below .40 (Id never do that) to perfomance .40 people only dream of. Don't blame the gun or my abilites for the .40s terrible accuracy, I tried five brands for semi-auto pistols (had others shoot them too) in .40, finally kept the Glock cuz it shot the best. I also have a GLock in 10mm as well as a 610 S&W, which is the ONLY gun that will make a decent group with .40s. Both these guns are dreams to shoot full power 10mm from, which was the original point... a powerful semi-auto round. Oh yeah, I use all Hornady equipment

I fired two guns in my whole life. It was on my honeymoon in Florida (no, not at the wife ;-)) And I was reloading over and over, because it was pretty cool to shoot. The guy who took us there was happy pacifists (like he thought we were) didn't carry guns as we were hitting bulls eye over and over ;-)

I shouldn't forget the UZI I used when I was in the Dutch army in 1992. You should have seen me, long hair, almost as low as my butt (just like 25% of the guys there that time). There were soldiers from The States at our base and they were all looking like they looked at some aliens or something. Dunno why I'm sharing this..ah well, I'm at the other end of the world so what :)

I dont know about the .40 calipers long range accuaracy. I was just wanting some ammo to take to the range.
My XD Sub 40 serves it purpose and is accurate for its purpose of 10 FT and under.
Over 8000 rounds and not 1 jam or misfire. Springfield XD:punk:

I dont know about the .40 calipers long range accuaracy. I was just wanting some ammo to take to the range.
My XD Sub 40 serves it purpose and is accurate for its purpose of 10 FT and under.
Over 8000 rounds and not 1 jam or misfire. Springfield XD:punk:
Springfield XD are very nice! I have shot my buddies 45 XD a lot.
Cept the problem for me is a .45 is just too big to conceal carry on my skinny lil ass. And I have seen far too many 9mm wounds on people that are still breathing, to downsize to a 9mm.
I personally use a Sig P229 in a .40 and I consistently shoot between 10 and 20 yards with very good shot groups. There is no doubt in my mind I can hit my target with a .40, and the intended target of that .40 hollow point round, is not going to walk away.

I used to hand load .303 British with my buddy Dave , but he moved to Tenn. & took his gear with him.:frown: .303 kicks azz for deer/boar hunting here in the swamps. Now that the kids are gone I may buy some reloading equip. of my own & get into it again. What's better , Dillon or Lee ?

I used to hand load .303 British with my buddy Dave , but he moved to Tenn. & took his gear with him.:frown: .303 kicks azz for deer/boar hunting here in the swamps. Now that the kids are gone I may buy some reloading equip. of my own & get into it again. What's better , Dillon or Lee ?

I don't know a lot about Dillon loaders, but believe they are decent quality. I use Lee because they are fairly inexpensive while being resonably accurate. RCBS is probably some of the best reloading stuff out there, you can't go wrong with any of their equip.

I don't load commercially, just for my own use which is more home/self defense than anything, like running through the woods with a 5 cell mag lite in one hand and my Colt Combat Commander in the other. Not necessarily a maniac, but I think you know what I mean---------.

dan :2gunsfiring_v1:

I love to reload. Its like relaxing to me. I use a Lee press and a combination of Lee and RCBS dies.

I mainly reload the plinking loads for my .44, .45acp, .357 and for the target and hunting loads for my .300WM

I use Hodgdon powder and winchester mag primers. The type of bullet varies from Hornady and Sierra.

I haven't reloaded in 10 years but used to almost every weekend. Was into scoped and unscoped long range pistols, plus alot of general plinking with the 9mm, .45ACP and .40Cal

I used, and still have out in the garage, a Dillon "Square Deal B" press which was really a sweet press for pistol only. It never drifted on powder charge once it was set. My girlfriend at the time bought it for me.

I loaded
.44 Mag
.44 Special
.357 Mag
.45 Long Colt

My all time favorite round;

The 45 long colt, it can loaded to surpass .44mag for killing stuff or accuracy, and loaded way down for just screwing around or target practice.....I shot it out of a scoped 3 Screw Blackhawk and also my favorite play gun which was a Ruger Vaquero cowboy gun with the 4 1/4 inch barrel and the birds head grip shape.

I dont' personally reload but my father does with a dillon press. Not sure of the model but it has a hopper for the brass and he can pump out quite a bit of ammo when he wants to. I know he can do upwards of 300 rounds and hour if he tries although he usually doesn't go that fast. He has the dies for .45, .40, super .38, and 223( thing that is the right caliber for an AR-15). He also shoots in various 3 gun competitions and pistol comps. Just about everyone there uses a .40 and they can be made to be plenty accurate for any practical or competition use. He just gave me a (new to me) Glock model 22. Old police trade in, checked it out and a did a trigger job, great pistol for home use. I hope to never use it as it is loaded with self protection rounds that are hotter then shite. Next step for me is a concelled carry licence.

Next step for me is a concelled carry licence.

Hey. are you aware of the recent changes to the texas gun laws? The removed traveling all together from the penal code and simply made it illegal to carry a gun in your vehicle only if you are:

In the process of committing a crime
Know gang member
Otherwise prevented from owning a firearm (felon, restraining order etc.)
Or fail to keep it concealed

It was HB-1815 or 1813 year 2007.

The police and liberal media have done a fantastic job of concealing this recent change from he public....

I still want a CCL but this change removed some of my desire to get it since I only wanted it for the vehicle anyway.....not sure how this plays on a M/C

Yup, I am very aware of it and that does make not as urgent of a matter, cause I can still have it for traveling. But I don't want to chance having it on my MC because that is not addressed in the law and it would probably fall to what kind of judge you end up in front of.

Yup, I am very aware of it and that does make not as urgent of a matter, cause I can still have it for traveling. But I don't want to chance having it on my MC because that is not addressed in the law and it would probably fall to what kind of judge you end up in front of.

Yeah, I know a lot of Cops around here and to be honest many of them had no clue, or worse yet told to ignore it continue arresting people.

You could also end up on the side of the road for an hour while they verified you didn't have a felony or restraining order before letting you go, Having a CCL really would simplify things....

I have all the equipment.I basically just started buying Hornady ammo instead.I feel that it is every bit as accurate as my handloads for hunting.

I haven't reloaded in 10 years but used to almost every weekend. Was into scoped and unscoped long range pistols, plus alot of general plinking with the 9mm, .45ACP and .40Cal

I used, and still have out in the garage, a Dillon "Square Deal B" press which was really a sweet press for pistol only. It never drifted on powder charge once it was set. My girlfriend at the time bought it for me.

I loaded
.44 Mag
.44 Special
.357 Mag
.45 Long Colt

My all time favorite round;

The 45 long colt, it can loaded to surpass .44mag for killing stuff or accuracy, and loaded way down for just screwing around or target practice.....I shot it out of a scoped 3 Screw Blackhawk and also my favorite play gun which was a Ruger Vaquero cowboy gun with the 4 1/4 inch barrel and the birds head grip shape.

The .45 Long Colt is my all time favorite also. It's one of the most versatile rounds out there but, for some reason seems to be often overlooked. I shoot it out of a Ruger Blackhawk 7 1/2" that I tuned up a little-reduced power mainspring, fine stoned sear/hammer surfaces, stuff like that. Butter smooth trigger, the thing will drive tacks.

Is the Dillon powder measure a separate piece of equipment from the press or is it a station on the press? My Lee is a station on the turret and I don't like it, there's too much drift. What's the sense of throwing charges if you have to weigh every one? I will pick up a hand held throw this fall, when I start loading again. Probably another RCBS but I'll check out the Dillon also.

dan

The .45 Long Colt is my all time favorite also. It's one of the most versatile rounds out there but, for some reason seems to be often overlooked. I shoot it out of a Ruger Blackhawk 7 1/2" that I tuned up a little-reduced power mainspring, fine stoned sear/hammer surfaces, stuff like that. Butter smooth trigger, the thing will drive tacks.

Is the Dillon powder measure a separate piece of equipment from the press or is it a station on the press? My Lee is a station on the turret and I don't like it, there's too much drift. What's the sense of throwing charges if you have to weigh every one? I will pick up a hand held throw this fall, when I start loading again. Probably another RCBS but I'll check out the Dillon also.

dan

The Dillon B press's powder measue is just one station on the press, I worried about it at first and used to double check every few rounds, checking it less and less often as I learned I could trust it, eventually going a 1 hour 250-300 round session without checking until the last few and it was always dead on.

That was 10 years ago and I'm out of the loop now, don't even know if they make it anymore.....it will load handgun rounds only...

The Dillon B press's powder measue is just one station on the press, I worried about it at first and used to double check every few rounds, checking it less and less often as I learned I could trust it, eventually going a 1 hour 250-300 round session without checking until the last few and it was always dead on.

That was 10 years ago and I'm out of the loop now, don't even know if they make it anymore.....it will load handgun rounds only...

I was hoping the Lee measure would perform like your Dillon--but it doesn't. I like to stay close to, if not at, the max load and just can't trust the Lee. Guess I'll pick up another RCBS, they work well.

dan

Danny, hope it's ok to post this om your thread. It's a funny, but nonetheless AMMO related:biglaugh:

Attachments

• pgun2.jpg
    pgun2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back