Hey Lads-newbie question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BothaBoeta

Reaction score
I have a 97 Max.Just started riding her.Is it all VMaxes but she has tremendous bottom end power,but it seems like she needs a 6th gear.By the time I hit 75mph it sounds like the motor wants to climb out and throttle me,however I can ride slowly around the neighbourhood in 5th.....I'll keep an eye the rev-counter next time I'm out.
Cheers
Philip

I have a 97 Max.Just started riding her.Is it all VMaxes but she has tremendous bottom end power,but it seems like she needs a 6th gear.By the time I hit 75mph it sounds like the motor wants to climb out and throttle me,however I can ride slowly around the neighbourhood in 5th.....I'll keep an eye the rev-counter next time I'm out.
Cheers
Philip

Your not alone, a 6th gear would have been nice.

oh man my mileage would be great. i like the cruise @ 80 - 85 mph and sixth gear woulda been nice to put her at about 4500 rpms..

i'll be getting a 5th overdrive at some point..

ya we all want a 6th gear for sure, otherwise i find 5grand or 75mph keeps me going for the quick short runs down to the states to meet the gang for lunch without stopping every few miles for go-go juice

Sean just did mine. I need to get some exact figures but last night it seemed like 70mph was just shy of 3500rpm:biglaugh:

Sean just did mine. I need to get some exact figures but last night it seemed like 70mph was just shy of 3500rpm:biglaugh:

thats awesome, must pay for itself in fuel pretty fast if you drive the bike lots?

I've also got the RS 5th and want to try it with a Venture rear..will probably switch pumpkins before going up to Thunder

I've also got the RS 5th and want to try it with a Venture rear..will probably switch pumpkins before going up to Thunder.....

Davidon,I'm so new you have to type slowly so my idiot butt can understand,what does this mean?

Also I was on Morleys site looking for a price on the 5th gear overdrive and couldnt find it.Who can do an affordable carbsink and adjust my jetkit in ATL?Anyone know?

Shoot,I almost forgot...my carbs are wired open,VBoost motor stopped working so mechanic took it out.Who can test this motor to see if its fixable?Which year VBoost motor will fit mine?Anyone have a price idea?

Are those to many questions?

Yea definitely! Only joking lol..

Any year (85-07) vboost motor will work. Should be able to find that at a decent price on fleaBay.

To test the motor, simply apply 12V to it - if it spins it's good, if it doesn't it's not. More often than not, it's bad connections in the Vboost controller (under left scoop) that stop it from working, and the motor's just fine. Resoldering the connections fixes the problem.

Anyone with a manometer and knowledge of Max in your area should be able to do your carb sync for near to nothing - it's SO quick and easy to do. 10mns tops.

The 5th gear overdrive is pricey, because you have to take your motor out, split the cases, then replace the gear inside. If you can do this yourself it'll be way cheaper, but it's more than I could chew.
It gets expensive because of shipping costs (engine's heavy!) and hours needed to do the job. Sean Morley can give you the best rate going - email him at [email protected]

The Venture pumpkin is just the rear end out of a Yamaha Venture...certain years bolt right up to the Max, and the result is a slower turning motor at the same speed as stock. I've got one on my bike (didn't know it had it till I heard about how high they ran) and have really come to love it.

As far as your other questions, to find out how much the 5th gear overdrive it, shoot Morley an email....he's a great guy to deal with. I've been meaning to ask him the same question, as I'd like to still lower mine down more on the freeway.

I'm not positive, but I think all Vboost motors were the same though the years.

There is never to many questions...it's a great bunch of people here, and they are more than willing to help!

Yea definitely! Only joking lol..

Any year (85-07) vboost motor will work. Should be able to find that at a decent price on fleaBay.

To test the motor, simply apply 12V to it - if it spins it's good, if it doesn't it's not. More often than not, it's bad connections in the Vboost controller (under left scoop) that stop it from working, and the motor's just fine. Resoldering the connections fixes the problem.

Anyone with a manometer and knowledge of Max in your area should be able to do your carb sync for near to nothing - it's SO quick and easy to do. 10mns tops.

The 5th gear overdrive is pricey, because you have to take your motor out, split the cases, then replace the gear inside. If you can do this yourself it'll be way cheaper, but it's more than I could chew.
It gets expensive because of shipping costs (engine's heavy!) and hours needed to do the job. Sean Morley can give you the best rate going - email him at [email protected]

Shoot-I just dropped some serious cash on having the motor out and replacing all sorts of shiat to fix a bottom end knock.She runs great now,but I want that 5th overdrive DANG IT!Thanx for all the info people...i'm bound to nag you for more.

I'm going to websearch for that Venture solution.
Thanx again

Quote : Also I was on Morleys site looking for a price on the 5th gear overdrive and couldnt find it.Who can do an affordable carbsink and adjust my jetkit in ATL?Anyone know?

Shoot,I almost forgot...my carbs are wired open,VBoost motor stopped working so mechanic took it out.Who can test this motor to see if its fixable?Which year VBoost motor will fit mine?Anyone have a price idea?

Are those to many questions?[/QUOTE]

B.B.

Call 770-962-5221 , Bill Scoggins owns Scooter World & will probably answer on Tuesday - Saturday , tell him V-Max Paul sent you and ask to speak with his son , Tommy . He's built 'em ( along with some custom HDs ) and can tune 'em . Call ASAP , they may be busy and time is short for Thunder . They are reasonable and honest.

Alternative is 770-449-4340 Yamaha-Triumph of Doraville . Owner is knowledgable and has worked on them since '85 . Not as inexpensive as Tommy , but honest.

Hi Rollie-any chance youre ever in East Cobb?I'm looking for someone with a Max to safely test drive mine.My steering is kinda hard(I know an extended swingarm makes turning harder) she has a steering dampner and I dont know if this thing is responsible for the awkwardness.Also,my previous bikes are cruisers with higher handlebars(Honda CB750K and VT1100) and my Max has shorter sportbike type ZBARS.
cheers
Philip

If you have a dampner and the stearing is stiff, check it out. if it's an adjustable one just turn it down a few clicks. That will loosen things up.

Hi Rollie-any chance youre ever in East Cobb?I'm looking for someone with a Max to safely test drive mine.My steering is kinda hard(I know an extended swingarm makes turning harder) she has a steering dampner and I dont know if this thing is responsible for the awkwardness.Also,my previous bikes are cruisers with higher handlebars(Honda CB750K and VT1100) and my Max has shorter sportbike type ZBARS.
cheers
Philip

May be over that way next week to see a vendor . Extended swingarm should not make your steering hard ; dampner could , over tightening of steering bearings could ..... Are you riding or trailering to Thunder ?

Back