How to: Fix your Vmax's low voltage or charging problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Fire-medic! 🙏🏻 That clearly answers the question about my single pickup. I’m disappointed the Clymer manual didn’t mention the difference since the parts diagram shows one pickup and the photo shows two. If I may ask, what is the source of the two different electrical diagrams? After chasing down many electrical car gremlins I can read them.

Last edited:
Sorry as to where that was sourced, I cannot recall. For things like that I usually google a specific word group, trying to narrow the search results. Something like '1985 Yamaha VMax wiring diagram' and then sort through the chaff until I find the best rendition. #1 is the colors make it an easy time of it, following leads and trouble-shooting. Blowing it up as big as possible is necessary for my Boomer eyesight.

Here's one I got in about a minute using 'search the internet for this image,; by right-clicking on the schematic I sent you in this post. Note that this is the 1985-'89 diagram and the pick-up lead is 5 wires.

1725368869997.png

The 5 pick-up coil leads:

• black
  • red & white
  • orange
  • green & white
  • grey
1725369000443.png

Thank you for explaining how you found it. Filed for future reference. The boomer statement made me laugh. 🤣 Count me in for that group, not just the eyes but hearing too! Now, if someone can answer the question about the tab?

Finally, after an internet search and deep dive in this forum I finally found a reference to the tab in my first photo, labeled ‘1’, and I did have it on the correct screw but on the wrong side. Refer to the photo here of a cover for sale in the parts for sale section where I circled the tab correctly oriented. Many thanks to this forum for providing all the info I need to finish the job!

Attachments

• IMG_0146.jpeg
    IMG_0146.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back