High Idle - Thottle Cables?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh! I did notice that! That is exactly what is happening! Great, once again, you guys rock! I have new allen head bolts to go into the diaphragm covers so I'll take care of both at the same time!

Disconnect the throttle cables in the junction block to eliminate them as an issue.

Good point. 2 screws remain to pull the cover off it and the cables are DC'd, I've already removed the scoop and plastics.... you're right though, that'll eliminate the cables as the issue! :worthy:

Make sure that your new cables follow closely the routethe old one used. When I put my new cables on, nicely lubed, it seemed like the cables were binding once I buttoned everything back up. I took everything back off and carefully made sure there was no binding but when I put the plastic relay panel back on it would bind the cables; come to find out I had one cable crossing over the other and when I tighted the panel down it was binding the cables somehow. Rerouted the cables to run parallel and problem was solved.

Make sure that your new cables follow closely the routethe old one used. When I put my new cables on, nicely lubed, it seemed like the cables were binding once I buttoned everything back up. I took everything back off and carefully made sure there was no binding but when I put the plastic relay panel back on it would bind the cables; come to find out I had one cable crossing over the other and when I tighted the panel down it was binding the cables somehow. Rerouted the cables to run parallel and problem was solved.

I had this same thing happen! The cables have to be exactly like the oem route or they will bind.

Actually had the same thing happen on the FJR too, loosened things up, re-tightened and the throttle worked perfectly....I never did figure out which component was causing the problem :confused2:

ok guys I yanked the carbs last night, bent the tabs a bit on the synch linkage, now she running and idling like a top.... still need to synch the carbs though, I wasn't going to do that at midnight last night :)

Isn't this forum just great? How could anyone owning a Vmax not be a member here. This forum is chocked full of info and people here willing to help with answeres no matter how tough the question or problem may be. I donate to the forum because I want it to stay alive and well. Anyway glad to see everything is going your way ZIPPO.........Joe

If it wasn't for this forum my bike wouldn't be running right now, it would basically be wrote off. The wealth of knowledge and generosity of every forum member never ceases to amaze me! I thank you all!!

Now to troubleshoot a shifting problem.... I had to fabricate a new mount on the frame because on my shifter side, it had been 'tore' back, but still attached. I think we welded the new one on slightly high because the piece of my shifter that connects at the motor was going to hit slightly on the peg bracket.... So I shortened the adjuster and mounted the shifter on the motor at a higher angle, but now I can't get the bike to shift down from 2nd. So I'm thinking that it's possible that I don't have enough movement on that shift to complete the shift... I'll pull the shifter and find out.

Back