How much Hassle swtiching back to STOCK exhaust?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

F100Panel

Reaction score
Taconic Valley, NE NY I can almost Spit into NY Ma
I have a 97 Max... Stage 7 Jet Kit, Marks 4 into 2 into 1 Exhaust... All set up on a dyno.... I wasn't looking for these upgrades they just happened to be on a bike that was selling for a good price.... I'd really like to go back to the the stock exhaust.../not concerned about performance loss, I'm never gonna push the bike to it's full potential....:worthy: I just like the look of the stock exhaust.... Were I to do that/go back to a stock exhaust, how much grief will that cause me? Is the bike gonna run bad, foul plugs all the time & require getting the stage 7 kit removed or will for just touring around I'll never really notice anything radically wrong with the engine's smooth running cause as it is, unless it low idles for several minutes ( the engine loads up & starts stumbling & a couple qwik twists of the throttle to clear it & the engine smooths out again ) you'd never know the engine had any upgrades.... What do ya think guys, somebody must have tried this before...?

yea you could probably set up a deal with someone on here for their setup. i'd almost htink about trading them outright for carbs/airbox/exhaust. be easier than tearing them apart!

i'd say though you should probably ask for some $$ on your end.

Understood putting an OEM Exhaust/mufflers on a Max with a stage 7 Kit will negate any performance advantages the Stage 7 provides.

Will the stock exhaust coupled with the Stage 7 actually cause me any problems? Modern bikes mystify me & other than being proactive for maintenance I really don't want to get into modifying or trying to resolve issues with the bike & I SURE don't want to VOLUNTEER to bring any issues on to the bike.

Understood putting an OEM Exhaust/mufflers on a Max with a stage 7 Kit will negate any performance advantages the Stage 7 provides.

Will the stock exhaust coupled with the Stage 7 actually cause me any problems? Modern bikes mystify me & other than being proactive for maintenance I really don't want to get into modifying or trying to resolve issues with the bike & I SURE don't want to VOLUNTEER to bring any issues on to the bike.

i don't know how many guys run it, but the stage 7 needs a more flowing exhaust, choking the exhaust like that may cause plugs to foul if it goes way rich. it would need a complete re-tune either way though.

if i were going back to stock exhaust i'd put the carbs back to stock. they're meant to work better together that way imo.

It'll run like poop with stage 7. The stock exhaust just doesn't flow enough air which means you'll run rich as heck.

I swore when I removed my stock exhaust, that it'd be a cold day in hell before it went back on! lol There are a lot of heat shields and other pieces that have to be installed with it, and it makes it MUCH more time consuming.

Chris

Most of the guys here with a stock setup would give their right arm to have the setup you already have. I just finished setting my 94 up with Marks 4-2 and getting the carbs set ( Not Stage 7 ) I have a set of Stock pipes with mods that'll probably set in the corner of my garage till the end of time. I've got an 89 that is probably a similar setup to what you have. It's got Kerker of 4-1 exhaust. If so, I'm gonna restore it with mods in place.

IMHO, Going back to totally stock would totally suck for me. But change makes the world go round..

Good Luck, you won't have any difficulty trading your setup for stock and someone may be close enough to you to change your bike and theres FOC to you...

I though what you guys have all told me was going to be the case....I just needed to be hit over the head with it.... I'll leave the exhaust alone & learn to like it.. I just gotta find somebody who likes those black wheels & wants to swap their Bright/Auluminum colored ..... Or find somebody with a set of Bright takeoffs they wanna sell outright...

Quick question... Why did you buy a bike you don't like? Seems to me, that another model year would have made more sense.

Got a 2002 we are going to be selling (we could take a trade in with it) lol. If you can't find anyone wanting to trade you for their parts hit me up and i'll get you back to stock. You'd need to take the carbs off and do a little there (or send them to me and i'll fix em).

I think I've got a nice exhaust around here too.

Sean

I have a complete exaust here that belongs to Naughty he was wanting to sell pretty cheap & I would also work out something with you on the carbs just let me know if you decide to swap it out.

To answer 4Gasem's question/it's a good one... I like the bike, it's color, it's low mileage & when you search for a deal, color choices are usually not part of the equation. I just like chrome, I want to increase it's appeal without putting a lot of money into it, Im not even sure I'll keep it....

I've been riding since I was 5/First bike a Ducati Mountainer 90cc..My parents were Dealers for Norton, Ducati & Moto Guzzi untill the helmet law introduction into NY put us out of bussiness in the late 60's... Mid Summer 1983 I was riding to work and I was crossing an intersection that was one way and a woman going the wrong way on the one way broadsided me/I thought I saw death. Only riding I have done since is when well meaning friends bring their new bike out to the house & goad me into a test drive. Bikers who have never survived a crash will never understand.. The cold sweat, the knot in the stomach as you let out the clutch...

Anyway I'm retired now & need a hobby.... The goal was- get a bike out at my rural house ( I think I can ride again if I stay out of the city..) that REALLY teases me to throw a leg over... a V65 Magna ( Magna...really? Ya gotta remember I'm old & that was the HOT thing in 83..) or a Vmax would have sufficient tease factor... & when no one is around just keep trying it until I can comfortably ride again or figure out I just can't & sell the bike hopefully not at too big a loss...

Well this Max is at the house & ....the TEASE factor is HUGE... I'll tinker over the winter, add Do-Dads & see what the spring brings....

I've come to the conclusion I'll keep the exhaust & other upgrades on it in place. I still wanna try to swap those black wheels or find some one who has a set of take off's laying around they wanna sell....

Yes, it would run like total poo-poo with stage 7 and stock exhaust. I seem to remember that bike dyno'd at like 124RWHP, so you're solidly in the 120+ club. To me wanting to downgrade seems crazy, but to each his own.

Bottom line: it would be a huge hassle. You'd have to get the stock exhaust and headers, install them, then pull the carb rack and put all the stock jets and parts back in. I wouldn't mind your exhaust, but I'm satisfied with my dual Holeshot slip-ons, always like the dual exhaust look.

Crack the throttle every so often, I bet you'll learn to like it real fast.

Likely you last 2 guys are right... If I can get my head outta my butt & get to enjoy the ride, likely Ill see things different...... I already debate gettin the rims on it chromed...But I don't wanna have done it ....for the next guy.... Time will tell......

We can chrome the rims or even swap your black ones. Just depends on how nice you want! I am not sure how nice I have on hand.

Sean

question. if thats a kerker how do u have the centerstand?

Back