I need your valuable opinions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you got the exact same system I have... lol

It's not chipping so much as it gets sand blasted and looks dull after a while. It's not horrendous but it's noticeable... All in all I think you need to do what YOU want. You can always have them recoated if you want later...

Pickling paste will remove the bluing from the pipes. We sell it here for using after welding stainless...

Chris

Yeah, after weighing the options I think I'll be happiest with Stainless, I'd be pissed if after a few years or 3000+ miles the ceramic started to chip, the bluing I can fix and that is what made me make my decision.

Ron

Why chrome a bike that yamaha spent so money to black out. JMO but thats the fun of owning a vmax. I still like the look of dale wakers pipes better. They tuck closer to the frame and I like the cans better. Either way it will be nice.

Why chrome a bike that yamaha spent so money to black out. JMO but thats the fun of owning a vmax. I still like the look of dale wakers pipes better. They tuck closer to the frame and I like the cans better. Either way it will be nice.

No doubt that Dales pipes look and fit better, but Marks sound so much better it's not even funny... I've had both... The cross over makes all the difference when it comes to sound.

The nice thing also about Marks is he will sell you one down tube or what ever you want whereas Dale won't. He'll sell you two cans for 650 bucks or a complete system for 1100... Hmm... No brainer for me to choose Marks.

No doubt that Dales pipes look and fit better, but Marks sound so much better it's not even funny... I've had both... The cross over makes all the difference when it comes to sound.

The nice thing also about Marks is he will sell you one down tube or what ever you want whereas Dale won't. He'll sell you two cans for 650 bucks or a complete system for 1100... Hmm... No brainer for me to choose Marks.

When I spoke to Mark I asked if you can keep your center stand, he said "Yes" I assume if it still hung down and looked bad he would have told me.

Looking at Dale Walkers he states,

Note! Though the Holeshot V-Max 4-2 header clears the center stand and the mounts do not have to be trimmed off the frame, Dale still really recommends removing it. The pipe is tucked up so well that is makes the center stand totally visible, and real ugly. What we recommend is for home tuning simply to slide the center stand into place, pop in the two pivot bolts by hand and put it up on the stand. This can be done in minutes for normal oil changes or washing the bike etc. So dont order the stop kit unless you really think you have to have it.

So although you can keep your centerstand with Dale's you really can't ( shouldn't )

That is a good reason for me not to buy Dale's and go with Mark's and I agree on the sound, marks sound much better.

Ron

All the after market kits are this way Ron... The cans are so much smaller and tucked in that it makes the center stand look stupid. Mark welds a boss to the cross over pipe to put the stock rubber bumper in place so that the center stand has somewhere to stop and sit when not used. That being said... I do just as Dale suggested. I keep it off... IT'S UGLY!!!

Chris

I tried retaining the centerstand but it looks totally out of place, sticks too far out. I took my centerstand off, but have had it back on to do some mods, it's easy to put on - take off.
Just be forewarned that if you temp reinstall it and plan to leave it overnight or longer run a strap to it to keep the bike from rolling forward and off the centerstand b/c there's no spring to hold it in place.

I know some of you must be thinking "This guy has had 7 VMAX'S :ummm: "

Every one I ever owned was and stayed completely stock, this is the first one that wasn't and as most know it came with UFO pipes.

I'm trying to change it to what I think I want and each step I find out new things that make me feel like a complete fool. You'd think after owning 7 VMAX'S I would know all about them but in fact I never worked on any of them with the exception of changing the oil and spark plugs.

So this vetern VMAX owner feels like a VMAX virgiin these days........lol

Please excuse my dumb questions, I'll learn in time

Ron

when a bike fell into my Vmax dale walker offered to reskin my muffler for less than 200.00(it was closer to 125.00). But I just bought a new one instead. He sold me one :confused2:. I keep the center stand hanging on my wall and when I work on my Vmax I just throw the bolts on and use it. It takes less than a minute. I can run mine but it looks way better with out one. As far as sound of system that is all in the ear of the listener. I do like Marks but I could never get him to call me back and Dales customer servive is the Best. Anyhow you will like your purchase.

I tried retaining the centerstand but it looks totally out of place, sticks too far out. I took my centerstand off, but have had it back on to do some mods, it's easy to put on - take off.
Just be forewarned that if you temp reinstall it and plan to leave it overnight or longer run a strap to it to keep the bike from rolling forward and off the centerstand b/c there's no spring to hold it in place.

lo how is it going to roll forward? I left mine on the stand for over a week before with out the spring.

TRUST ME! It will roll forward!!!! Ugh... I use a ratchet strap when ever I use the stand.

Just my opinion, it helps if you quote what you are replying to...

lol ok maybe in a earth quake. :biglaugh:

Uh huh... OK... Let me know if you find it heavy too... If you're just letting it SIT on the CS you're fine but when you get to working on it, it takes a very small movement and it will roll forward.

I usually don't quote when I am on my phone... The last few (not this one) were on my phone.

Chris

It's doable... You'd have to cut and grind and reweld the arm on... That's more work than threading two bolts in 2-3 times a year for me...

Chris

It's doable... You'd have to cut and grind and reweld the arm on... That's more work than threading two bolts in 2-3 times a year for me...

Chris

Maybe I just like playing with my Harbor Freight lift but it seems to me like I've always got a bike up in the air!

I even use it to polish up the pipes, just sooo much easier than bending over to do it. :biglaugh:

danny

Maybe I just like playing with my Harbor Freight lift but it seems to me like I've always got a bike up in the air!

I even use it to polish up the pipes, just sooo much easier than bending over to do it. :biglaugh:

danny

hey danny.. i may be ordering a holeshot CS bumper or whatever it is. if i do maybe that will work out for you, altho from what i can tell all it does is move the resting spot of the CS down a little bit. not sure.. worth a looksy tho

If memory serves I have one of these DW bumpers... I think it's shaped like a T. I'll have to look I guess... I'd give it to someone for a half of what Dale wants but that half has to be a donation to this site... I can look for it tonight.

Chris

Latest posts

Back