Im interested in this vmax, not sure if its worth the trouble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100 HP from a Sportster can be had but it still won't run off and leave a VMax.:biglaugh: I use my Sportster to outrun all my Harley Buds. It's no where near 100 HP but it puts some Whoop Ass on much bigger twins.

I'm quite happy with the 112 or so RWHP my VMax makes when it runs right. I just want everything to keep working and that's what I'm going for now, reliability.

Good Luck,

not worth it. Not worth $1000 either IMO. If you can get it for $500 or so, part it out, double your money, and then take that $1000 and use it toward something that isn't in so dire need of repair. You can get a clean, well ridden Vmax for twice that. I see Vmaxs with 40-50k on them for $3000 or so. I'd take one of those any day of the week over that.

Bheinz57, thanks for the offer man, I have a truck and trailer I can use that me and my buddy take our bikes all over with, My dreams of 150 hp have subsided, Its like trying to make 100hp on a sportster, like 6000$ haha....

I think I am going to start looking for a 2002+ with around 12k or less... Whatever 2-3k a year is. Then see what it takes to get a 20-30 shot on it... A nitrous kit with pump seems to be right around 1000$ but having 4 carbs seems like Im going to need 4 nozzles. Very difficult to get all routed up and spraying evenly..

Maybe I will need to find someone who wants a mint 2003 100th anniv Sportster 1200 custom (kinda cafe racer mod haha)with 9k miles.. I can probably get 5500-5000 for the harley.

If you were closer I might have started a discussion about that Sportster...

I am actually going to be getting in a 2002 in a couple of months. Also will be selling my 99 (with 1300 conversion).

Sean

Absolutely nothing, It is seriously, no joke, not kidding MINT condition. Owned by a retired police officer in omaha.. he has had the bike since 500 miles.... Found it in indiana and had it shipped to omaha, he liked the bike a lot but got a new 30,000$ Harley Peace Officer edition and sold the sportster. I bought the bike with 6k miles and I have put 3,000 miles on it. Looking for something a little more power and I love gadgets, Harley's are just too darn stupid simple!! I have all maintinance receipts from when the Bike was brand new. Hasnt ever missed an oil change in its life, never missed an inspection or mileage checkup.. Super nice bike, its a shame they dont bring more money.

EDIT: bike is a 2003 Xl1200C 100th Anniversary, I have all stock parts for the bike as well, Even matching 100th anniversary backrest!!

http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/1894307625.html

Is it worth the trouble to rebuild the engine, I am an aviation mechanic so I LOVE to take apart/rebuild and recondition....

I am not sure where to find bearings, seals, gaskets etc for the bike though, any help would be great!!

I have a feeling that it might have gotten hot being as the back two cylenders are bad and not the front.... But im not 100% sure of the cooling system on these vmax's\

I currently ride a 2003 sportster with some andrews n2 cams, (yes i know its slow thank you :) )
HI, and congrats on possibly your new max, and dont cut down your sporty to quick...a 1200 with n2's should scoot along pretty fair LOL.

Found him, http://www.morleysmuscle.com/ I will give them a call monday and see what a full rebuild kit would cost me... Do you guys just hone or are there oversized pistons for boring? Same with crank journals, do they get turned or stock size?

Sounds like a good deal and a fun project. Hope you get it.

Oversize pistons are available, as well as longer rods. 1260 up to 1570cc. Sean Morley or http://www.pcwracing.net/ are great places to start talking with for your rebuilt. Either one can assist with pistons/seals/gaskets/bearings/ etc. Either one can answer most any question you would have about the rebuild and options too.

Absolutely nothing, It is seriously, no joke, not kidding MINT condition. Owned by a retired police officer in omaha.. he has had the bike since 500 miles.... Found it in indiana and had it shipped to omaha, he liked the bike a lot but got a new 30,000$ Harley Peace Officer edition and sold the sportster. I bought the bike with 6k miles and I have put 3,000 miles on it. Looking for something a little more power and I love gadgets, Harley's are just too darn stupid simple!! I have all maintinance receipts from when the Bike was brand new. Hasnt ever missed an oil change in its life, never missed an inspection or mileage checkup.. Super nice bike, its a shame they dont bring more money.

EDIT: bike is a 2003 Xl1200C 100th Anniversary, I have all stock parts for the bike as well, Even matching 100th anniversary backrest!!

I like the solid mount Sportsters for the reason you don't....

It's like working on a lawnmower.....:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back