Lifting the bike with catalytic converter in place

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran into this when I decided to raise the yoke back to the position on the fork tubes that intelligent Japanese engineers determined was the optimum spot (flush).

I could'nt get over my apprehension of essentially resting the bike on the head pipe flanges. I ended up doing this:
With the rear lifted on the paddock stand, I placed a 2x4 block of wood between the oil pan and a flattened out scissor jack. After just a couple of turns, the front tire was off the ground.

Last edited:
Age old question stretching back as far as I can remember. Unless the metal is extremely thin, like cheap aftermarket or rusted badly, and/or the lifting force is focused on a very narrow area, you should be okay. I don't know that I've ever heard of anybody damaging a pipe being careful and with the lifting force spread out. I

Still, I always look for an alternative - like the 2x4 between the pipes and the motor - but sometimes there's no alternative.

when I'm unsure of the strength of the part I will use a jack on I use a board to spread the pressure point and a piece of carpet on that

Latest posts

Back