Looking to pick up a used Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan64456

Reaction score
I've done a bit of research on the bike and looking for something between 4 and 6 grand price range... Can anyone recommend things to look out for? How is the handling on this bike? Can I take corners fairly well without worrying about bottoming out? Never owned a cruiser before, but definitely interested in trying this one out...

Thanks all

There are about 15 or so on the Buy & Sell Board,
...^ (In Red Above) ^...
Ebay usually has a few as well.
Then there is the VMOA.net site which is currently having "issues" at the moment.

The VMax is like a Silver back Gorilla. Powerfull as all hell and plenty of stamina, but a wee bit clumsy when it comes to nimbleness.
There are things that can be done to improve it's handling, as you will soon hear in this thread.
Or if you haven't already, peruse the many threads related to handling in this forum.

I would highly recommend at least riding one before committing to buying one. Because it is a one of a kind ride.

You'll generally want a 99 or newer, because Yam made the last upgrades by then for most of the issues they acknowledged.
Unless it's drastically lowered, I doubt bottoming out will be a problem. Unless your looking for a canyon carver, in which case you'll have some serious modding to do.

The V-Max is not a cruiser, it is a musclebike. Quite a difference. It was not built for comfort, but for brutal acceleration. You will enjoy it.

Mike

I've done a bit of research on the bike and looking for something between 4 and 6 grand price range... Can anyone recommend things to look out for? How is the handling on this bike? Can I take corners fairly well without worrying about bottoming out? Never owned a cruiser before, but definitely interested in trying this one out...

Thanks all

You would have to define "fairly well" for the handling and cornering as it is subjective to what you are use to. If you've come off of a new 600 SS then it handles and corners "poorly". However if you've come off a cruiser or older standard bike then it handles "fairly well".

Also, I think the bike handles pretty well. I am no GP racer, but I can push the bike pretty quickly through corners. I like the weight because, for me, it acts as a counterbalance to my tendency to turn in too quickly. On my RZ, which is a 325 pound bike, I always find myself riding in a manner that I would describe as "choppy"...I turn in too quickly, have to make many corrections, etc. The V-Max I just lean into a corner and power through smoothly. I cannot push the bike to its limits comfortably in corners, and that is good enough for me. I take corners at reasonable speeds..and hurtle down the straights. It is a good combo!

Mike

Welcome bro.

All good advice from these guys. If you happen not to like it after you buy it and your looking for a good home for it I'll be glad to provide it a home beside mine ! :biglaugh:

I looked into a Max years before I bought one. I got a good education on thes bikes from boards and a few private web sites not even close as helpful as this one but I knew the pros and cons and what to look for and expect. You said it yourself " wanting to try one out " good idea before you buy.
Read as much as you can, you should be able to get one in great shape for that price. Take your time and don't rush into it.

Good luck.:banana:

Latest posts

Back