Low charging voltage, radiator fan takes 5A

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukasz

Reaction score
Hello,
I recently added a USB charging device to my bike. As an additional feature it also shows battery voltage.
What I noticed is that my charging voltage sits around 13.2-13.4 volts when riding with no radiator fan spinning, but as soon as it kicks in, the voltage drops to 12V-12.2 and the bike struggles to idle properly, I've had it die on me twice today on traffic lights.
I took the fan out, checked the current consumption, and it's over 5 Amps. I could not find anywhere what the correct reading should be, but it seems like a lot! And if it's correct, then what could be the reason for the voltage drop?

My battery is pretty old, not sure exactly how old as it came with the bike when I bought it 3 years ago.

Hello,
I recently added a USB charging device to my bike. As an additional feature it also shows battery voltage.
What I noticed is that my charging voltage sits around 13.2-13.4 volts when riding with no radiator fan spinning, but as soon as it kicks in, the voltage drops to 12V-12.2 and the bike struggles to idle properly, I've had it die on me twice today on traffic lights.
I took the fan out, checked the current consumption, and it's over 5 Amps. I could not find anywhere what the correct reading should be, but it seems like a lot! And if it's correct, then what could be the reason for the voltage drop?

My battery is pretty old, not sure exactly how old as it came with the bike when I bought it 3 years ago.
Likely need to check the AC output voltage of the 3 wires from the stator. Then the regulator may be the main issue if the AC voltage is in spec.

First step is to change the battery. It worked for me. Cost me £100 but had to be done.

Okay chaps, turns out it was the fried stator in my case. Funny though, as the resistance readings initially were very close to the book. Only after starting the bike and letting it run for a moment, the readings changed indicating one the coils being faulty. Upon discovery, I have replaced the stator, and voltage regulator just in case, and was getting 17V overcharging. This time it was the voltage regulator, faulty from m the factory (cheap one from m China so avoid). I switched back to the original regulator and it works like a charm, finally.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I attach photos of the faulty and new stator for future reference. All the best!

Attachments

• PXL_20240619_205331197.jpg
    PXL_20240619_205331197.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240620_201906993.jpg
    PXL_20240620_201906993.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240620_201909556.jpg
    PXL_20240620_201909556.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
My vehicle has a aluminum radiator with 15 inch derale fan and when the fan kicks in you could watch the volt meter drop. Now its now not bad at some point of the day but at night with the lights at the volt meter is soaring above the pink line while at a forestall. I actually have stock pulleys and my radio is off. The only other accessory is a 5 inch tach hooked up at the dash.

192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1

Last edited:
My vehicle has a aluminum radiator with 15 inch derale fan and when the fan kicks in you could watch the volt meter drop. Now its now not bad at some point of the day but at night with the lights at the volt meter is soaring above the pink line while at a forestall. I actually have stock pulleys and my radio is off. The only other accessory is a 5 inch tach hooked up at the dash.
Shayia:

What type of vehicle do you have?

Back