Mesh Jacket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20Vmax20

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wondering what everyone is using for summertime protection on the max? I currently have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket with the CE armor in the elbows and shoulders that I have been using for about 18 years. It is very breathable in hot weather and I wear it every time I ride, but I have lost weight and I need a smaller size jacket so I figured this would be a good time to try something different. Does anyone have a jacket that they love to use in the summer?

I have two:

Joe Rocket
Fieldsheer

When the mesh jacket was released, I think the Joe Rocket was among the first to sell it. I don't recall seeing anything like that before. I bought one (Joe Rocket) on the spot, from a friend who owned a So. FL motorcycle parts and accessories store. I still have it, and it still does its job, flowing air, while carrying armor to protect your usual parts.

Many years later, I bought a Fieldsheer mesh jacket, which has two layers. The outer one is mesh, w/pockets for more and better armor than my venerable, comfortable Joe Rocket mesh jacket. There is a nylon shell for inside the Fieldsheer, for windbreaker use if the weather turns less-temperate.

1721091281119.png

Of the two, my favorite is the old Joe Rocket, as it passes noticeably more air at-speed. Probably the Fieldsheer would be more-protection if in an accident.

I sometimes also carry a much-larger than my chest measurement nylon zipper jacket, just a shell, but it does two things well, besides being sized large-enough to fit over either of my mesh jackets, without restricting my freedom of movement.
  • One, it gives me an additional layer if the temperature drops, and it's waterproof
  • Two, it is covered with a random (not-solid) design of highly light-reflective material, which lights-up like neon when illuminated by another vehicle's headlights
Both jackets have by themselves reflective material to aid in nighttime visibility.

It looks like Fieldsheer no longer makes motorcycle jackets, according to their website, but I did see some listed on Amazon. Looks like a nice option.

I bought a Vance mesh jacket with a removable water resistant liner. I’ve only had it a couple of months but so far I am impressed with it. It has removable armor in the elbows and back. Hopefully I won’t need those but just in case. Good airflow and a Great price on Amazon or Team motorcycle in FL.

Wow! Those Vance mesh jackets are identical in design to the Joe Rocket I’ve had for years. I wonder if Joe Rocket sold the design to Vance leathers since I can’t seem to find any of the JR in stock anywhere. This might be an option if they’ve discontinued the JR. Thanks Graham

Latest posts

Back