Morley Drag Racing Crash

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello All!
Let's start with everything (but the bike) is A-OK.

I had an unscheduled dismount (crash) this last weekend while running at the 52nd annual Truett and Osborn all bike drags. It happened on last pass on Saturday during practice. And my last run of the day. I'd been wheeliing (like normal for me) all day and this last pass I simply carried it further then intended and ended up going over backwards at the top of 1st gear (55-60 mph).

I would normally shift this into 2nd gear and ride it back down but this time I waited a little longer, and then couldn't get the shift done. By the time I was going to shut it down, I was already too high and couldn't get my wrist to roll forward to use engine braking to bring it back down. I flat didn't think about using the rear brake to bring it down (almost never is needed so not something I normally practice).

Anyway,
The 2005 was completely annihilated and has parts that survived and parts that were totally destroyed and it surpised me on which was which. My resultant slide for me ended up letting my jacket roll up under me and got a bit of rash on my love handles, a couple of spots on my knees, and a broken pinky (at the tip plus jammed heavily). Gear did it's job and only got a few scratches on the lens of the helmet while the main helmet is almost untouched. My ass took a hard hit and jeans cleaned off the track lol. Tore open a section at the bottom around my riding boot but no damaged to my ankles/feet. The gloves have virtually no damage. The sleeve on the left arm of the jacket has a little rash but again not even enough to make me not want to keep riding with it. I was not wearing my lower pant suit that zips to the jacket since I was riding the "slow" bike. If I had been wearing it, then I would have almost zero crash injuries. I fell off the back when the bike contacted the taillight and tag, and after my initial impact I simply brought my arms into my chest and then relaxed as much as I could and waiting to stop rolling. The bike did 7 violent flips and landed on the other side of the guard rail (after hitting the guard rail and exploding one of the support posts).

Amazingly there is actually video of the crash! I was side by side with another Vmax friend and he had a friend in the stand recording his pass. I just happened to be in the near lane and clearly visible to the camera. The pictures show the damage at the track, and then the pile of parts I ended up with which are headed to the junk pile (maybe). The body set was destroyed (except front fender), the frame took a hard hit from the guard rail (enough we almost had to cut it to get the carbs up enough to remove). The forks are bent, the wheels are broken, and exhaust is smashed on the right side. Plus right scoop and other parts.

The engine survived with almost zero damage. The brake pedal was barely bent and not even enough to move into the clutch cover which almost always happens when even dropping the bike. The shifter was the same way. All engine covers were untouched and even the radiator and covers were untouched. The handlebars are straight, no headlight damage, no broken crown, and no smashed speedo. Again all parts that would usually show signs of damage even in a light crash.

One we got the bike on the trailer we checked for debris in the airbox which had none and hit the start button. Bike fired right up and was ready for more lol!

When you watch the video you will see that the bike was running well. It power wheelied itself up without double clutch or anything like that. Just a very very good running 2005 stock engine (which is already sold lol). We were only running 1/8 mile passes which the times would have put me solidly in the mid 11's (7.36@97mph)
I can't find a way to download the video so here's a link if you have a facebook account:

Anyway,
It's been mentioned that I need to get an auction going and sell some of the damaged parts with my signature on it! I just may do that lol.

20240907_165729.jpg

20240907_165401.jpg

20240910_172210.jpg

Hello All!
Let's start with everything (but the bike) is A-OK.

I had an unscheduled dismount (crash) this last weekend while running at the 52nd annual Truett and Osborn all bike drags. It happened on last pass on Saturday during practice. And my last run of the day. I'd been wheeliing (like normal for me) all day and this last pass I simply carried it further then intended and ended up going over backwards at the top of 1st gear (55-60 mph).

I would normally shift this into 2nd gear and ride it back down but this time I waited a little longer, and then couldn't get the shift done. By the time I was going to shut it down, I was already too high and couldn't get my wrist to roll forward to use engine braking to bring it back down. I flat didn't think about using the rear brake to bring it down (almost never is needed so not something I normally practice).

Anyway,
The 2005 was completely annihilated and has parts that survived and parts that were totally destroyed and it surpised me on which was which. My resultant slide for me ended up letting my jacket roll up under me and got a bit of rash on my love handles, a couple of spots on my knees, and a broken pinky (at the tip plus jammed heavily). Gear did it's job and only got a few scratches on the lens of the helmet while the main helmet is almost untouched. My ass took a hard hit and jeans cleaned off the track lol. Tore open a section at the bottom around my riding boot but no damaged to my ankles/feet. The gloves have virtually no damage. The sleeve on the left arm of the jacket has a little rash but again not even enough to make me not want to keep riding with it. I was not wearing my lower pant suit that zips to the jacket since I was riding the "slow" bike. If I had been wearing it, then I would have almost zero crash injuries. I fell off the back when the bike contacted the taillight and tag, and after my initial impact I simply brought my arms into my chest and then relaxed as much as I could and waiting to stop rolling. The bike did 7 violent flips and landed on the other side of the guard rail (after hitting the guard rail and exploding one of the support posts).

Amazingly there is actually video of the crash! I was side by side with another Vmax friend and he had a friend in the stand recording his pass. I just happened to be in the near lane and clearly visible to the camera. The pictures show the damage at the track, and then the pile of parts I ended up with which are headed to the junk pile (maybe). The body set was destroyed (except front fender), the frame took a hard hit from the guard rail (enough we almost had to cut it to get the carbs up enough to remove). The forks are bent, the wheels are broken, and exhaust is smashed on the right side. Plus right scoop and other parts.

The engine survived with almost zero damage. The brake pedal was barely bent and not even enough to move into the clutch cover which almost always happens when even dropping the bike. The shifter was the same way. All engine covers were untouched and even the radiator and covers were untouched. The handlebars are straight, no headlight damage, no broken crown, and no smashed speedo. Again all parts that would usually show signs of damage even in a light crash.

One we got the bike on the trailer we checked for debris in the airbox which had none and hit the start button. Bike fired right up and was ready for more lol!

When you watch the video you will see that the bike was running well. It power wheelied itself up without double clutch or anything like that. Just a very very good running 2005 stock engine (which is already sold lol). We were only running 1/8 mile passes which the times would have put me solidly in the mid 11's (7.36@97mph)
I can't find a way to download the video so here's a link if you have a facebook account:

Anyway,
It's been mentioned that I need to get an auction going and sell some of the damaged parts with my signature on it! I just may do that lol.

View attachment 95470

View attachment 95471

HhoView attachment 95472

Whoa! Bikes get rebuilt, we only get one Sean! Glad your okay man.
I just gotta say it looked like that Gen 1 was about to get right with that
1700 Gen 2 .

Dude, I am glad you are ok and took on minimal bodily damage. Bikes can be fixed/rebuilt and you are one of the best at building them. I have no doubt that you’ll be back out there lighting up the strip in the near future.

Back