My oil leak revisited...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2dawson

Reaction score
Well, the good news is that the leak isn't from the stator cover, after replacing the gasket and sealing the wires, it is dry all the way around the cover. So is the cover 2, but my newly installed shift shaft seal is leaking like a sieve. There is also a lot of oil around the neutral switch, which is missing one mounting screw.

I replaced the oil seal by running a screw into it and pulling it out, that was easy. I cleaned the shaft and pushed the new seal in with a piece of PVC pipe. I either didn't use the right size pipe or didn't get it in far enough because it is really leaking around the shaft.

Does anyone have any helpful hints before I ruin another seal. I'm really trying to avoid pulling the clutch to change this seal.

Thanks,
Jim

Check the shift shaft for wear grooves. If a groove is worn in it, it will never seal. Look it over to see if it is visibly bent. That would cause issues too. I highly doubt either of these are you issue though.

Most probable cause is that it was not installed properly or deep enough. Remove the seal, check the bore it resides in. Make sure it is clean. Put a wrap of electrical tape on the splines of the shift shaft before you slide the new one on to prevent any tears. Pack the lips of the seal with some grease. Push into place and lightly tap it in. Shouldn't take a lot of force.

Something to try: .003 Feeler gage with a notch cut out of it about 1/2 inch from the end. Slide the gage in carefully and use the small notch to pull the dirt and grime out of seal or while you have seal retracted away from shaft use compressed air to blow into retracted area to get rid of grit of foreign object causing leak. Seal maybe already damaged if you did not tape end of shift shaft when installing. This method is usually used to clean fork seals, so you may not be able to get in such a small seal as a shift shaft seal. Just a thought........

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully I'll have a new seal in a few days and be more careful this time.

Back