Need opinion on potential purchase - '05 modded max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I need your opinion on a potential 2005 Vmax purchase that is listed at $6k. I am 900 miles away so can't see it in person. Maybe that is a reason to avoid it entirely if I can't check for a 2nd gear issue before driving 13hrs.

Here is a video of the bike -

Here is what the ad says about the bike:
Runs perfectly, and handles better than 99.9% of Vmax in existence. Clean title.
Upgrades include:
-Full OHLINS suspension ($7000 alone)
-OTEC Billet aluminum swing arm
-Full Holeshot exhaust
-Cam upgrade, and tuned
-DYMAG carbon fiber wheels
-Billet adjustable rearsets
-Steering stabilizer
-Pro-Taper bars
-Led headlights
-ISR brakes with floating disc and steel lines
-More!

Thank you for any opinion!

If this one doesn't work out, The next one I was looking at is https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2221423514883869/ .

Attachments

• vmax7.jpg
    vmax7.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1
  • vmax6.jpg
    vmax6.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 1
  • vmax5.jpg
    vmax5.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 1
  • vmax4.jpg
    vmax4.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 0
  • vmax3.jpg
    vmax3.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1
  • vmax2.jpg
    vmax2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 3
  • vmax1.jpg
    vmax1.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The value of the Ohlins suspension alone would make this bike a deal. Plus, and probably more important, you get to say with assuredness that "my bike doesn't have a 'death-wobble!'

That bike is worth a trip, even if you don't buy it, just to see it. Besides what could be wrong with it, if you ask the seller about 2nd gear, nad he says, "it's OK and no jumping out of gear issues."

1723206742843.png

If you do buy it, I'd make an early priority to strip-off the exhaust wrap and get it Jet-Hot coated. The wrap over time could cause premature rust perforation.

Apples and Oranges.

Only real similarities are the years.

One is heavily modded (correctly it appears--wheels suspension etc) other is basically a stock bike with pipes added.

You have to decide what you want and what your expectations are.

PERSONALLY would be on a 900 mile road trip .

Good luck

In addition to the Ohlins also add the ISR callipers, m/c's and Otec arm to the list of 'desirable' parts - look up how much they cost!
I had the long Holeshot end cans and they were loud so if these are the short ones they are likely to be louderer. The headers are most likely ceramic coated and I do have a little corrosion on the underside of mine. That may explain the wrapping so I would want to investigate the condition of the pipes under the bandage.
I doubt that any changes to the cam on its own will increase power much and could affect how the power is delivered (speculation). As with any purchase a ride on it would be prudent.

If it is this owner that has spent some significant amounts on the bike then it is unlikely to have been neglected. However if it was several owners ago then it's condition would warrant closer attention.

Bike like this don't come up very often and if it floats your boat then a trip should be considered.

Attachments

• Buying a V Max.pdf
    258.2 KB · Views: 0
Get a one-way flight and ride it home (unless he has all the stock parts).

I would buy it due to these upgrades alone:

Full OHLINS suspension
OTEC Billet aluminum swing arm
Full Holeshot exhaust
DYMAG carbon fiber wheels

It is also an anniversary edition with the tank badge. If this was in California, I'd be on it.

Hi Everyone, I need your opinion on a potential 2005 Vmax purchase that is listed at $6k. I am 900 miles away so can't see it in person. Maybe that is a reason to avoid it entirely if I can't check for a 2nd gear issue before driving 13hrs.

Runs perfectly, and handles better than 99.9% of Vmax in existence. Clean title.
Upgrades include:
-Full Holeshot exhaust
-Cam upgrade, and tuned
-Steering stabilizer
-Pro-Taper bars
-Led headlights
-More!

If this one doesn't work out, The next one I was looking at is https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2221423514883869/ .

This would be a dream bike for me. I just wish it still was in the Red stock color 🤷🏻‍♂️ (personal preference).
She just looks so good in Red or Maroon to me. The gold front forks would look good with red also (to me).
I would steal it before you can buy it if wifey wouldn’t kill me for doing so 😅. Definitely worth more than $6k to me.

I’m just happy the wife let me get a 2015 VMAX but I want to get a 2005 anniversary edition some day so I have a gen 1 version also. Good luck on getting it or whoever gets this beautiful toy.

P.S. I would also remove the piping exhaust wrap and heat treat it in some golden color to match front forks 🫡.

Maybe you can sell it to me when I retire in 10 years or so 😇

Does anyone know what brand that hed headlight is on that Ohlins bike? And how difficult to mount it? Thanks.

One more thing, that Otac? Swingarm. How $, how hard, how big a tire? Thanks

The second gear issue is more prominent in the earlier years…..I wouldn’t let it dissuade you from considering a 2005.

If I was looking it would already be on its way to my home.

Upgrades include:
-Full Holeshot exhaust
-Cam upgrade, and tuned
-Steering stabilizer
-Pro-Taper bars
-Led headlights
-More!

I have a stock 05, original owner, I would stay away from this one as it will probably, most likely, give you many headaches due to all the mods. An 05 stock is a great machine if not abused.

Latest posts

Back