new here, with questions.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Random comment : I had a piece of card go into the airbox inlet and sit inside the 'Y' at the top of the airbox. (Don't ask how, it's stupid) When the bike was running it would whistle/whir/hum, which confused me for a while.

On another tangent, I wonder if there is a measurement for how much fuel you should get out of the fuel pump in one minute? Disconnect the pump from the carby's, connect power for 1 minute and measure. Surely that would be a good piece of info for trouble shooting problems like this?

Random comment : I had a piece of card go into the airbox inlet and sit inside the 'Y' at the top of the airbox. (Don't ask how, it's stupid) When the bike was running it would whistle/whir/hum, which confused me for a while.

On another tangent, I wonder if there is a measurement for how much fuel you should get out of the fuel pump in one minute? Disconnect the pump from the carby's, connect power for 1 minute and measure. Surely that would be a good piece of info for trouble shooting problems like this?

Try this: if it produces a stream like a two-year old thoroughbred peeing onto a flat rock so the splatter soaks your Levis as you hold the bridle reins in your hand, the output si, as they say, "adequate."

If the output is like a vMax rider eligible for Social Security who has a prostate condition, and who couldn't produce a stream powerful or plentiful enough to wet a bull ant's back, "you've got problems!":biglaugh:

I thought we all ended up not being able to control things when we got old.
Not plugged up glad to know its like a stopped up drain . Dont know if I want old battle nurse taking care of things or worse Bubba the Male nurse .

If you open the fuel cap and hear an air whoosiing or sucking soung (after riding it and it dies) then it's a plugged vent which is not uncommon. A simple way to test is to leave the cap loose and see if it runs fun that way.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Did you check this? I had this happen to me on my '98. I had ridden from MI to TN to visit a friend and the next morning the bike would not start. I could hear the fuel pump running with the key turned on and when I shut it off and removed the gas cap I heard the air rush into the tank (the vacuum was so strong I had to practically pry the gas cap off). Stuck an air nozzle into the vent line at the top of the tank and blew out whatever was blocking it. No problems after that.

Scott

Yeah I checked. It's not a vapor lock like that. I can hear the pump ticking at idle. Plus it primes for 2-3 seconds every time I turn the key on.

The pump should NOT prime each time you turn the key on. Only after the bike has sat for awhile (a few hours or overnight) which allows some fuel to evaporate out of the bowls. Plus with the bike running you should feel a click every so often as it replaces the fuel. It should not be continuously clicking as the bike is running.

What does it mean if it tries to run every time?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Most often means the pump internals need repair or replacement. Could also mean one or more float bowls stuck open - but that might lead to severe flooding out, or gas pouring out the overflows. Just to name a couple.

Got a pump coming, hopefully here this week. Gonna swap it out and hopefully that's the problem.

Back