No more vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colour79

Reaction score
So i picked up my bike friday, had the post 93 shift cam put on by a local mechanic. When I took the bike in I knew one of the shift pins fell in the oil pan and in the future i was going to have to take it out. So i took out the battery and charged it overnight and installed a new fuel filter while i had the seat off. The next morning threw the battery in, put oil in the bike, and turned it over. The first thing i noticed was a loud chattering coming from the clutch cover and the bike not shifting. When i engaged the clutch and down shifted i felt and heard the gears of the bike grinding, and not trying to force anything turned the bike off (bike was running for less then 30 seconds). So I called the mechanic and ask what was up. He said they shifted through the gears with no problems and the job was straight foward (I also gave him a printout of the how to change shift cam thread from this forum). He mentioned that when I filled the bike with oil, that could have push the pin into the transmission, and now i have a problem. The mechanic was straight foward and said they wouldn't want to work on the bike because the price of labor would exceed what the bike was worth. The shop that I took it to is a reputable shop, they do custom fabrication and build bikes (I had to wait a month to get my bike worked on). Plus how I'm i going to argue with someone that does this for a living, he could give me hundreds of senarios of what that pin could have done when running the bike. So Im done putting anymore money in this bike, not knowing what the problem is. The bike was running like a champ in spring, no second gear problem or any transmission issues. I also understatnd if the pin somehow did get in the transmission the bike is toast. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to express them. At this point I have nothing to lose.:sad2:

Wow, this really sucks....You need input from Sean Morley. I don't understand the pin getting to the tranny and if it was caught by the clutch, the mechanic should have found it and taken it out.... Some things aren't adding up here... Atleast for me...

+1 To all Dave mentioned.I don't think YOU'RE as done with them as they are indicatting. It's possible the damage isn't to bad. Something is fishy with that shop though. Sounds like a run for cover to me.
Steve-o

The thing that jumped out at me was the mechanic going through the gears.
Did he say he did this with the engine running or off. The reason I ask is these puppys really don't like to shift with the engine off. You can shift into 1st and 2nd (I can't remember if you can 3rd) but thats about it.

So If he's going through the gears with the engine off and its still behaving fine. Your mechanic did something wrong or he flat out is lying about checking his work. And a little pin who's alledged movement through the engine and trans makes a great scapegoat. Especially when a good wrench can have the pipes and pan off in under an hour.

I'm thinking if he didn't test it right and then sent it on its merry way back to your diggs. When you first fired it up, the trans wasn't totally engaged thus the grinding and the same when you shifted to another gear, they're not meshing, so it's possible he put it back together wrong.

I've heard the "we wont work on them cause the cost of repair outweighs the cost of the bike." story before, it normally comes with the big fulldressed tourer bikes that are a pain in the ass to get to the engine, or shops that have so much work they can afford to pass on (who would refuse work in this economy). Or the most common, the mechanic who is not the best, knows they screw(ed) up and don't want to see the bike or the customer again and use a high dollar amount to discourage the customer. Its fucked to think about how many good bikes went to the boneyard cause of people like this.

When my segment went out in my old venture, I was told this (his shop does awesome business, especially in the fall hunting season, on quads, when I took my bike down) and he was thinking transmission. He took a look at the segment, then once he saw it was hosed, did the work.

Hope everything works out for you. Plus here, you can get guided and led through your engine repair. Videos, Tech help, pretty much anything Vmax can be found here. So thats another avenue you can take.

they can shift the bike with the engine off you just have to move the rear wheel back and forth....

however, who lost the pin, you or the mechanic, it made it sound like you did previous to bringing it in?

if you take the clutch off you can see in the transmission i believe, maybe a magnet in there might help?

KJshover made a bunch of great points. I think that the pin is a scapgoat, and yes they have a insain amount of bikes to work on, reason to send my bike away. Because the chattering is coming straight from the clutch case, so maybe he didn't install the clutch right. And when he ran threw the gears the engine was off because i had the only key with me. Something just doesn't add up, I have been thinking about this all day. When I get some time off I'm going to take off the clutch case and take a look (maybe in the morning). Thanks for the feedback lets me know I'm not going insain thinking this, if others are on the same page as me.

Quite the opposite of insane. The mechanic, if he were worth a shit should have given you a functional, fixed bike... That's really all there is to that story. If he was good at what he does, he'd want to know how and what is FU....

Good Luck and when you find his FU, stick it up his Butt... Are there any other members from this site close to you. Never hurts to have a witness...

Back