Now.........more problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i allways put a double shot of the blue stabil in all of my engines that are sitting for the winter it doesnt heart anything and it will keep the gas safe for 2 years, after i put it in i let them run untill warm and you can smell a "pencil lead" smell comming from the exhaust !

So, its beautiful here today, so I decided to ride to work to try and run some of that ethanol treatment through. Got all of my gear on, went out to the garage, and it wouldnt start. It did start for a couple of seconds, but as soon as I touched the throttle, it died. Then all I got were a couple of ear drum popping backfires. Eventually I cranked the battery dead, so I gave up and plugged the tender in.

Just wanted to give everyone an update.

If you think the carbs need cleaned don't take it to a shop. You'll get raped. If you aren't up to the task shoot me a PM. I can help you out. I'm not too far away.

So I finally got to take the bike out for my inaugural ride of the season. Put everything back together from the COP install, started it up, let it warm up, and set off. Rode about 6 miles to where I work, just to show off that I was the first to ride, and when I went to leave, it took a little more cranking than normal to start. So I set off for a short little ride around town. Went about three miles and stopped at a red light. When the light turned I went to pull out, it stalled. Wouldnt start.

So I pushed it off the road, and after about ten minutes it started back up. I made it back home, but it died again in my driveway. When it was running, it ran great, perfectly normal. But once I got it started again at home, I noticed a pretty bad hesitation/dead spot right off of idle.

I called a friend that I work with who's in a Goldwing club, and he told me that a lot of guys with Goldwings were having identical problems. The cause of their problems has been from ethanol sitting over winter. The fix for them was just running some ethanol treatment thru a couple tanks of fuel.

So, im hoping for the same results. Sound right to anyone?

Thanks for the offer Mike. I may have to take you up on that. I think first im gonna try just draining the carbs, and maybe siphoning the tank out, then dump some fresh gas in. It should be possible to disconnect the fuel line after the pump and jumpering the pump, to pump the tank dry, right? Then ill probably try shotgunning it. If I still come up dry after that, ill be PM'ing you.

Yes, that would work.

There is a drain on the bottom too. Could get messy using that though. I recently drained my tank. I used a long clear piece of tubing. Nice and clean and quick. Check for rust.

You could jumper the fuel pump and open all the bowl drains, but a piece of hose to use as a siphon would be easier. Still, I doubt the fuel is the issue. I've seen cars run on gas that's a decade old and were fine other than stinky exhaust.

If you haven't done so, do the shotgun and peashooter. You can do both techniques easily within an hour.

Pretty much everyone who's taken a Vmax to a dealer with carb issues ended up paying loads of money and not being satisfied with the results. There's detailed photo tutorials here in the carb forum for complete breakdown and reassembly. If you don't want to undertake it yourself, pull the rack and mail them to Sean. It'll be a bargain compared to dealer rates and done right.

I'll definately be doing the shotgun as soon as I get a free afternoon. I never said anything about taking it to a dealer, and have no intentions of ever doing that. I've got all the help I need right here!

If you aren't sure if the carbs have ever been dismantled and properly cleaned I would recommend that. You can get a gallon can of carb cleaner (by Gunk) at your local A/P for around $40, o-rings, gaskets, etc....probably in the neighborhood of$150 - $200.

NaughtyG did an excellent 6 part pictorial thread on this if you aren't familiar with the v max carbs. Mike & I can both talk you through any rough spots if you want.

I'm gonna try the shotgun probably Sat. after work, as well as draining the tank and carbs.

I'm really REALLY hoping I'll be alright after that, and not have to remove the carbs. But I know that if I do have to, between you guys here and a guy I work with, I'll be alright doing it myself.

It's really hard on me right now though. It's almost 70 today, and I'm passing bikes everywhere I look. Not to mention everyone I work with asking me where mine is, because I'm usually always riding by now.

Well, this evening I dumped all of that ethanol treatment in the tank, drained the carbs, and got it running. Let it warm up and it seemed to be running better, so I set off. Put about 40 miles on, about half a tank. I stopped and topped it off, then rode back home. I have to say, the more I run it, the better it seems to be getting.

It stumbled off idle a few times, but never as bad as Monday night, not enough to kill it. I'm off tomorrow, so ill keep running it and getting fresh gas in it. Eventually, ill still shotgun it, maybe on the next weekend I get off. Hooefully it'll keep getting better and clear itself up!

Glad you got it sorted out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put another 50 miles on it yesterday. Runs great, almost perfect. Still hard to start though. When cold, it'll backfire with choke on, have to start it without choke, get it going, then get the choke on.
When warmed up, I still have to crank it more than normal, but it will eventually start up, then it's fine.

Stopped to top it off yesterday 4 miles from home, after riding for 50 miles straight, and took a little bit to get started again. Pretty embarrassing when everyone at the gas station is looking at you.

I think I'll just keep running it though, it's supposed to get cold again here with some flurries this week. So hopefully next week, I'll be able to keep running fresh gas through it. If it doesn't clear itself up (the starting problem) in a couple weeks, I'll still shotgun it.

All 89's seem to be Possessed........Mine'll be new by the time I'm done fixing it's daily failures.....:rofl_200:

Thanks guys, haven't gotten a chance to try it again since Sunday. It does appear that my rectifier/regulator is on it's way out again too. Just put a new one in last year and all was good, now the "dash" lights are flickering at idle again, and it's only charging ~12.3 volts at any rpm. Anything else I should check? I've read about the solder fix, on a main connection somewhere?, but never have done it yet.

Well, I'm about to leave my first job and head to the second, so that's all from me for the day.

Just a little update, I've still been riding it whenever time/weather permits. Sunday I put almost 100 miles on, stopped three times and it started just fine each time. But when we first left home, I barely got it going. Almost cranked the battery dead again. On the last time I tried it, it finally fired and I was able to keep it going.
It won't start at all with the choke on, you have to crank it a little with choke on, then take it off and crank it till it fires. Then feather the throttle and keep it going long enough to slip the choke back on, and it'll be fine.

Then once it warms up, it's almost 100% fine until you let it cool completely down, then it's a bear again.

Next thing I'm trying is seafoam.

I don't think its going to run right or start right until you get the voltage up..............Just my .02 cents

Back