Ordering a 2013

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sat on a 2013 in Laconia yesterday at the Yamaha tent. I'm on my absolute tippy toes and that will be the reason why I won't buy a gen 2. Is there a way to lower these an inch or two without radically modifying the suspension?
There's no other bike I can imagine owning, but I need to atleast have the balls of my feet on the ground when stopped or for moving the bike around. Thanks

Hey Mini....
all I needed to do on mine was to raise the forks up in the triple tree 1/2 inch and set the preload on the rear to it's min setting. With my 31" inseam, this worked for me. Some have used a 1" lowering kit on the rear, but I didn't find this necessary.

Thanks for your response. So setting the rear at its lowest setting isn't too soft?

So setting the rear at its lowest setting isn't too soft?

It's just the " spring preload" setting that is set at the minimum setting of 11 ( 6 is standard and 1 is max hard). Tkink I have mine set at 10.
The rebound damping force and compression dampining setting I kept at the std setting. Works fine for me. Not too soft at all.

Eh hem.....if you are talking about lowering a gen II, that forbidden website/vender youFohwhat'shisname, makes an $85 lowering bracket for the gen II's rear end. My 09 came with one installed when I bought it, and it makes the gen II sit a couple inches lower to the ground. I removed it as soon as I got comfortable wrenching on the new bike, and went back OEM. I'm 6' tall.

There may be other brands of lowering links on the market as well.

I don't believe there is a spring pre-load on the back of a gen II. I could be wrong about that. It is my understanding all the adjustments under the rear are hydraulic dampening, and rebounding adjustments.

Eh hem.....if you are talking about lowering a gen II, that forbidden website/vender youFohwhat'shisname, makes an $85 lowering bracket for the gen II's rear end. My 09 came with one installed when I bought it, and it makes the gen II sit a couple inches lower to the ground. I removed it as soon as I got comfortable wrenching on the new bike, and went back OEM. I'm 6' tall.

There may be other brands of lowering links on the market as well.

I don't believe there is a spring pre-load on the back of a gen II. I could be wrong about that. It is my understanding all the adjustments under the rear are hydraulic dampening, and rebounding adjustments.

The big knob is the spring pre-load on the back, the 2 smaller knobs do dampening and rebound.

If you back off on the preload adjustment you can see the bike get lower in the back as you turn it. It can make a difference for a shorter legged rider....and will work well as long as they are not real heavy.

The big knob is the spring pre-load on the back, the 2 smaller knobs do dampening and rebound.

If you back off on the preload adjustment you can see the bike get lower in the back as you turn it. It can make a difference for a shorter legged rider....and will work well as long as they are not real heavy.

If I had ever stopped long enough to actually read the owner's manual, I prolly would have known that by now. (I never stop and ask for directions when I'm lost either) Mine were all set at max when I got it, and I dibbled around with the smaller dampening knob to ease up on how hard it took the bumps. Being I'm heavy, I left the other knobs at max.

Now I know. Thanks Mark, for the info.

Latest posts

Back