Other Bike Riders

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
Just getting back to riding after a long absence. When riding and another bike rider passes going the opposite direction, they generally always take their left hand and point it down towards the road.

Is this a way of saying hi? Are you supposed to return the movement?
I just want to know about this so I don't look stupid and want to know what it means.

I see a lot of those waves here, but it is with two fingers. I return the wave and a head nod when one is tossed at me. I figured it was a friendly way of saying hello or something like that.

I wave back but I tuck my thumb in and flash "four" fingers, normally just a quick wave @ bar level.
I think the 2 fingers down started out because of the big farings blocking their wave from view so they started waving lower, but not sure. :confused2:

I try to always give another rider a friendly wave, usually two finger down or left palm open off handlebar at slower speeds, just a nice jesture..............unless someone has pissed you off, then we'd have to express the one finger wave.......:biglaugh:........Tom.

It's just a sign of respect/greeting to fellow Riders.
I always wave back unless I'm at a light holding in the clutch and then I nod.
It used to be that most Harley Riders wouldn't wave at anything but a Harley.
That doesn't seem to be the case anymore from my experience.
I personally wave at every rider I see (Two fingers down at an angle aka a Peace Sign).

Just a general "part of the brotherhood" type thing. There's really no right or wrong way.

Apparently it's common for Jeep (specifically Wrangler) owners to wave to one another as well when passing on the street.

The most common ones I see are the low "V" gesture(seems most common by guys on harleys....maybe something about the v-twin engine?), a single index finger pointing at the ground, or just a look and nod.

I've had several "wave retracts" from dolts on Harleys, and every time they're the ones who really take the pirate costume theme to heart. They stick their hand out, but as we get close enough they can tell it's not a "real" bike, they yank it back and give you the patented Harleyboy(TM) scowl like they're totally disgusted your non-HD is allowed to grace the same roads as his Ultra Wide Fat Heritage Classic Glide FLTCHCEBIX.

I've heard from sportbike riding friends that patting the top of your helmet means "cops ahead" (as in you just passed some), and that a thumbs-up means "clear sailing".

It's a recognition of someone who is "like you". This is something that began decades ago, similar to the way 911 owners flash their headlights at one another. It started before you saw as many bikes on the road, and it gets a bit tiresome now-a-days. Don't get me wrong, I dig that motorcycles being fashionable means more & better bikes and accessories. However, back in the days when bike trailers weren't a "must have" accessory, the speed limit on and around The Dragon was 55 mph (and hardly anyone knew it had a name), and one didn't expect to see hundreds of other motorcyclists on any given sunny weekend, waving to a fellow biker was a bit more meaningful than it is today. It's become little more than a reflex, with bikers even waving at folks on scooters and tricycles. Fuck that.

I still do it, but I only really mean it if I know you, or you're on a VMax ;)

EDIT TO ADD: The reason people do the "low V" is because it's easier when you're at speed. Try holding your hand out or up at 75+, then do pointing down. The "V" part is just "peace". Patting your head does indeed mean "cops ahead".

Yeah, I usually get tired of waving especially on nice weekends....in the rare case I see another Vmax I'll go out of my way to try and get next to them for a chat, but that's not always possible.

Otherwise, yeah....like you said it's more of just a reflex action. If someone waves at me I'll acknowledge it. Usually just give them a little nod.

I pull the clutch in, drop it back out, and raise the front the front wheel. :) Ok, I only did that once.. or twice.

Just a general "part of the brotherhood" type thing. There's really no right or wrong way.

Apparently it's common for Jeep (specifically Wrangler) owners to wave to one another as well when passing on the street.

The most common ones I see are the low "V" gesture(seems most common by guys on harleys....maybe something about the v-twin engine?), a single index finger pointing at the ground, or just a look and nod.

I've had several "wave retracts" from dolts on Harleys, and every time they're the ones who really take the pirate costume theme to heart. They stick their hand out, but as we get close enough they can tell it's not a "real" bike, they yank it back and give you the patented Harleyboy(TM) scowl like they're totally disgusted your non-HD is allowed to grace the same roads as his Ultra Wide Fat Heritage Classic Glide FLTCHCEBIX.

I've heard from sportbike riding friends that patting the top of your helmet means "cops ahead" (as in you just passed some), and that a thumbs-up means "clear sailing".

Vette owners have been waving at each other since the early '60s . Drove a '63 convertible for a year or so , but you didn't see a whole ton of 'em then.

Back in the 60's we didn't wave at anybody unless you knew them.It just wasn't done back then.I believe the trend came from the 1%'ers
I'd say you're probably correct, I grew up knowing and occasionally riding with 1% ers in the early 80's (I wasn't a Member and I rode a Yamaha, so I was relegated to the Back of the pack).
So, I have just always waved at other riders as a sign of respect/comraderie.

Went out today for a 50 mile ride. No other vmax riders. Was a great riding day in Norman, OK. Lots and lots of bikes on the road. I get tired of waving at all those folks I don't know. I spent a lot of time trying to keep up with the waving. It has gotten out of hand for me.

Went out today for a 50 mile ride. No other vmax riders. Was a great riding day in Norman, OK. Lots and lots of bikes on the road. I get tired of waving at all those folks I don't know. I spent a lot of time trying to keep up with the waving. It has gotten out of hand for me.
I share your mind set on that....Seeing another Vmax on the road is a rare event.

I see a few from time to time. But that is few and far between. I have yet to see another max at a local riding event. I get a lot of comments on how nice it is and how it looks or how fast that thing, or what a fast bike you got or something that order. I know there is a few in my area and have seen them out but when you are out riding nothing but v-twins or sport bikes.

Back