Paint Removal From Side Scoops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
My side scoops were painted black when I bought the bike, but I prefer the aluminum look. Is there a good product / method of paint removal from these covers that won't damage the surface?

Is it paint or powder? There in lies the problem. Any gel style paint remover will work at removing regular paint, but will not work well with powder.

Auto-Zone has a spray on paint remover that I've heard works real well too.

Chris

I've had good luck with Mar Hyde Tal-Strip II. Its in an aerosol. If it is powder it may not do the job. Caswell plating and Eastwood both sell powder coat removers.

Send 'em to Sean , his chrome rocks , and no heavy duty polishing , always look great . Warning , Warning , possible addiction can occur . :punk:

Attachments

• DSC02318.jpg
    DSC02318.jpg
    119.6 KB
  • DSC01835.jpg
    DSC01835.jpg
    69.3 KB
i read somewhere once that someone use a "graffiti removal" product. i think you can find it a wallyworld

I am not a big fan of having a lot of chrome on a bike because that means more time cleaning and less time to ride. But I ordered a set of Bright Chrome scoops from Morley's Muscle and they really gave my old 85 max a look that made me say "now thats a mod worth doing" ......... I polished a set of scoops with an orbital sander to remove the original finish but I don't know if that method would work with powder coated paint.

I am not a big fan of having a lot of chrome on a bike because that means more time cleaning and less time to ride. But I ordered a set of Bright Chrome scoops from Morley's Muscle and they really gave my old 85 max a look that made me say "now thats a mod worth doing" ......... I polished a set of scoops with an orbital sander to remove the original finish but I don't know if that method would work with powder coated paint.
I'm with you with the "less chrome is better" credo but if you factor the amount of work it takes each year to get that shine back chrome may not look so bad. I have done the work 3 years now but wishing there was better way to do it. I wish I had a good powdercoater that could show me examples of some polished looking stuff and I'd probably go for it.

We have a new powdercoat that's pretty stinking close to chrome. Check out the swingarm in our facebook account that we recently posted.

I was just about to offer to trade you because I'm going to paint mine and they are stripped, but I see your in Hungary.

his bike is here tho.

Yes, it's in the U.S., and I'll be returning in June for about 1 week.

EvilD - What condition are your scoops in? When you say "stripped" do you mean it is just prepped for paint, chrome. etc.? Or can I just polish them as-is? Do you have pics?

So many questions...

Here's a better picture of mine:

Flames.jpg

Yours have painted over damage. At least with that picture that's what it looks like.

Yes, it's in the U.S., and I'll be returning in June for about 1 week.

EvilD - What condition are your scoops in? When you say "stripped" do you mean it is just prepped for paint, chrome. etc.? Or can I just polish them as-is? Do you have pics?

So many questions...

Here's a better picture of mine:

Flames.jpg
They are in pretty good shape, sanded with 2000 grit, lightly polished them last year, not happy with the way they look and can't afford to chrome them. I'll post pics over teh weekend. But I think Sean is right, that pic looks like it has a repair under it.

autozone or murrys sells an aresol remover that is call aircraft coating remover,,, this stuf will remove damn near anything in minutes... is AMAZING how it works right before your eyes..... if your gonna polish em , you can just sand it off , but the aircraft coating remover makes it SO much easier.. id use that , then rough sand em , going to lighter and lighter sandpaper , till u get to at leat 600 grit , the finer the sandpaper you use , the better final shine you will get... usingg a highspeed bench pioliher gets the best results,,, anything aluminum can be made to look damn near like chrome

Back