Preventative Maintenance

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm a new Vmax owner... about 5 weeks now... 5 glorious weeks :biglaugh:

I'm reading a lot of the forum threads trying to learn as much as I can and there is one topic I here repeated over and over, maintenance!

So here's my question: What maintenance should I be doing to keep my bike maintained? I've changed the oil and filter, checked the air filter (It looks ok to me, but don't know what it 'should' look like). Based on a rough idle and slight misfire at low rpm (only when warm) I plan to change the plugs and wires and possibly clean and synch the carbs (to the shop for this...). However, what else should I be doing? I'm no mechanic, I can do basic stuff, and based on the information and help provided by this forum I'm confident that with the right tools I can do most work myself. I just don't know what else I should be doing?

At what frequency do I replace the gear oil in the rear wheel? ya know, junk like that :punk:

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds!:worthy:

Shane

- 2002 Vmax Carbon Fiber

as little amount as the rear end holds i just change it ever engine oil change. 1 quart will last you quite a while

Welcome!

Do you have an owners manual? You can follow that and be safe.

I would replace the gear lube now if you haven't already. Mobil 1 is commonly used by most of us but Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Redline are all good as well.

Keep a good coat of wax on the entire bike (including the engine) and it'll last you a long time.

DO NOT run Ethanol fuels in her and if you do you may want to run some BG44K or Seafoam to keep it clean.

Have you read on how to shoot the shotgun? It's a carb cleaning method you can do yourself.

While you're doing plugs and wires I would also check the coils and verify they're not cracked which happens quite a bit on the max.

Has the coolant been changed? If not it should be.

Brake and clutch fluid changed?? If not it should be...

Check pressure in the tires religiously...

Check water level in battery (if stock style).

I would probably (while doing the plug wires) do the "crimp mod" to it since you'll be elbows deep in it anyway.

Check out the VMF links button above for a lot of info on these and more.

all that has been said and:

a bit of SeaFoam every few tanks is a good idea, regardless of fuel.

cracked coils are very common, doesn't mean they're bad through. doubt the plug wires are actually bad either, but possible.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your responses and now have a target list!

About this Seafoam.... any suggestions on how much to add to the fuel? I'm assuming you don't soak the carbs like the video shows, just add it to the fuel?

Thanks,
Shane

One ounce of Seafoam per gallon of gas is the recommended mix.

Latest posts

Back