Purchased the 98

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdogmason

Reaction score
Ok fellas, I purchased the 98 on Friday, it is in great condition, I was pleased all weekend with it. My first question is about the tunning of course. When the bike gets to about 5500 rpm it starts to burp and looses power and then gets itself backtogether for the V-boost, sometimes in second gear it burps and blaaaas through the v-boost as well. Is this a carb tunning issue? Can I tackle this myself with some assistance from you forum guys? This bike has the stage 7 jet kit and Kerker Slip-on's. What is a good point to start? Are the carbs out of wack? The bike starts up great, idles fine, the choke works perfect, runs great under normal load, it's just when you get on the throttle 100% when the burping starts. Any assistance to get started would be great. Tdog

Ok fellas, I purchased the 98 on Friday, it is in great condition, I was pleased all weekend with it. My first question is about the tunning of course. When the bike gets to about 5500 rpm it starts to burp and looses power and then gets itself backtogether for the V-boost, sometimes in second gear it burps and blaaaas through the v-boost as well. Is this a carb tunning issue? Can I tackle this myself with some assistance from you forum guys? This bike has the stage 7 jet kit and Kerker Slip-on's. What is a good point to start? Are the carbs out of wack? The bike starts up great, idles fine, the choke works perfect, runs great under normal load, it's just when you get on the throttle 100% when the burping starts. Any assistance to get started would be great. Tdog

Thats alot of Kit for slip-ons, Generally Slip-ons don't require any carb work. Score yourself the full Kerker system (or any full system for that matter) and you'll have better performance.

All in all, sounds like you have dirty carb issues.

This may be a stupid question, but can I buy a 4 to 1 header pipe and use one of the slip on cans, to try and save some money? Is the slip on canaster the same as the 4 to 1 kerker canaster?

double post, sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
This may be a stupid question, but can I buy a 4 to 1 header pipe and use one of the slip on cans, to try and save some money? Is the slip on canaster the same as the 4 to 1 kerker canaster?

double post, sorry

Nope! 4-1 systems have a much larger outlet out of the collector.

Just buy a Kerker 4-1. You won't regret it!

First off, a full exhaust system would definitely work better with a stage 7 jet kit. As far as using one of the kerker cans that you have would depend on the inlet diameter of it to the header pipe outlet - a kerker 4-2-1 header has a 2.5" outlet - I am not sure with the kerker slip ons have.

As far as making your setup run better, 1st check plugs - are the carbon fouled? If so, check the the main needle clip height - lower clip position - richer - higher clip position - leaner

You may be able to drop clips down one or two notches each carb to lean it out abit (if sparkplugs are carbon fouled)

Mike

Latest posts

Back