road course?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbutera2112

Reaction score
ive got a 97 max...all stock aside from slip ons... local forum (mostly sport bike riders) is trying to get me to sign up for a track day next year to run with them lol....they said if i remove my mirrors and tape up my lights i should be allowed to run...i think this sounds like a bad idea on a max, but it sounds like fun and i cant afford a sport bike at the moment....ive never raced at the track either

thoughts? if i slap on a set of nice sticky tires do you think i will be able to pull it off? ive only got about 200 miles of street time, and offroading was about 2 years experience

how do these bikes do in corners?

by the way...i mean a road course, not a drag strip

They don't do all too well in corners. Lot's of pitching, rolling, with lackluster tire grip, and a flexible flyer frame and forks.

With so little street time, I think you'll scare the shit out of yourself if you try to keep up with your sportbike friends. Or worse....you'll put it in the litter.

i keep hearing horrid things about the frames on these bikes...should i buy a frame brace? for street use

might pick up the frame brace and fork brace from holeshot with my tax return

Frame braces, fork braces, braced swingarms, solid motor mounts all help. The swapping to lighter rims and radials is a big improvement as well.
But your not going to keep up with a sportbike.

I'm currently running Frame braces, braced swingarm, and solid motor mounts and you can feel the difference from my bike and a friend's stocker.

however, these things have seen road courses before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy674nc9858

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1-1tnvlwZI&feature=related
+ better brakes , fork springs and shocks , 17 " light weight wheels and radials will also help , but the weight will definately hold you back from the sport bikes . Still fun to blow some off on the straights.

hmm ok thanks for answering my question....it appears i need a lot more work/parts into the bike than i had planned on getting...dont wanna drop much money into this one, since i will be buying an 09 within the next 2 years...thanks guys

would the frame brace still be a good idea? or will the bike not suffer from normal street use?

would the frame brace still be a good idea? or will the bike not suffer from normal street use?

Depends on how you ride it on the street :biglaugh:.

I love my frame braces. I put them on about the same time I added the braced swingarm. Tightened things up nicely and made the bike more predictable in sweeping turns. Besides, they make a great place to hang the nitrous bottles.

I've put some money into the suspension of my Vmax (it's an 02)
Frame braces, fork braces, new springs, emulators, thicker oil, wheels, radials, ohlins shocks...and my bike handles like an older liter bike. Something akin to an early 90s ZX11 wit regard to weight and length. While it certainly handles better, and I can keep up with sport bike friends with no problems on the street...this is a heavy and long bike designed in the early 80s. There's no getting around that.

Latest posts

Back