Rode my Super Magna around the block....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, 172 mph or something sticks in my head as a "design" top speed. I'd think speedometer error is large at high speeds, and it's been 20 years ago, but I seem to remember that my 85 V65 Sabre's speedo top speed was in excess of 150 mph. Seems it was the about the same in 5th or 6th gear. I also remember my buddy's 1100 Katana kind of walking away from me at higher speeds, hehe.

I loved my 85 V65 Sabre. It had a unique character and personality. 6 gears, a big fuel tank, a cool digital dash with fuel gauge, gear indicator and temperature gauge. Lots of low-rpm torque and a top speed over 170 mph. Thought about finding another one... but my Vmax is bad-ass! :punk:
I had the 700 Sabre in that same color combination, I also added a small Rifle instrument fairing. Nice enough bike but was never able to get it above 129 mph (speedo).

My V30 had a tremendous speedometer error. It was close to 10% fast, faster you went, the bigger the error. It had the stock size tires as well, so I assume it was just built in error. However, the odometer and trip meters were accurate to any other bike.

My Vmax with a new front tire was actually pretty accurate....below 60 it actually over-read a bit, at 65 it was pretty much dead on, and above that it started to under-read. But it was still that 120 indicated was actually around 118.

My Z has a 6.8% error, though that got corrected with a speedohealer. GPS accurate now for speed, though now the odometer reads about 6% less than actual.

Mines pretty good... Matches my fellow Vmaxxers speedo pretty well.. Guess it depends on the bike? And mine being the 83 has plenty of go to it.

I had the 700 Sabre in that same color combination, I also added a small Rifle instrument fairing. Nice enough bike but was never able to get it above 129 mph (speedo).

Can't remember what kind of little dark shield I installed on my V65 Sabre, but it was pretty sweet and I had a little radar detector behind it on the speedo housing. Loved that bike. Some day I'll find another one. Seemed like it would nearly hold it's own with my buddy's new (early 90's) ZX7... but maybe I'm dreaming. I do remember his mid-nineties ZX6 would walk away easily.

My Dad bought a V45 Magna brand new in 1984 (leftover bikes at killer prices in those days). With me on my little CB350Four, that V45 was so fast! Later when I had a a989 Ninja 750R, the Magna seemed a whole lot slower, but I always liked it.

Fast forward 15 years, and I bought a 1983 V65 Magna for $900. It slipped in 2nd, but I didn't really need it for the riding I was doing. I polished all the aluminum, did a lot of maintenance, and eventually I sold it to move to CA for $1600 (still needing 2nd gear). I wanted another (nice) one until I realized why get the number 2 cruiser, when I could get a V-Max for not a whole lot more.

While the Max is a bit wobbly in comparison, the V65 was a bit top-heavy. Radials cured that - '90's ZG1000 Concours tires fit perfectly! Wish a Max radial upgrade was as hassle free :bang head:

A buddy had the SuperMagna... loved the look, but would like to see one with a 180 radial on a non-disk wheel out back. That would be the the icing!

I bought an "87 Super in May, a great bike but didn't have the power I was expecting. I just got a '00 VMAX and it is freakin awesome. It has aftermarket pipes on it that sound like a V8. As you all know they comfortable, fast, has legendary looks, it is just plain MEAN. The Super is now up for sale.

I bought an "87 Super in May, a great bike but didn't have the power I was expecting. I just got a '00 VMAX and it is freakin awesome. It has aftermarket pipes on it that sound like a V8. As you all know they comfortable, fast, has legendary looks, it is just plain MEAN. The Super is now up for sale.

Sounds like you exactly mimicked what I did...

Latest posts

Back