Seat cushions, Airhawk ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Transam

Reaction score
Okay, so I just came back from a short ride with the wife and
my ass is allready sore. I allready have one of Sean's seats
on the bike and Progressive 440 shocks. It is to the point where
I may have to look at another bike. I had been looking at a Venture
a guy was selling but I really love the Max and it's in great shape.
Sean do you have any recommendations ? I have the standard
seat that you sale but was wondering if you offer something that
would help. Has anyone used the Airhawk or any Gel cushions
that might help ? I know everyone loves Seans seat alone but
it's not working for me. ( nothing against Sean ) Maybe I have
a strange anatomy or a boney butt. I hear the Airhawk is good
but $300 for a pair is pretty steep.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Have you tried a corbin seat? I know that there are a lot opinions on the looks, etc... but I have one that I use on long trips and the wife and I love it - Also, my wife also uses a gel pad that we bought at a local auto parts store - was on sale for about $15.00 - it has a loop strap on it that goes around the back rest to help hold it in place.

With the corbin, you can also keep the Morley seat for shorter trips, etc...

Mike

I got the Corbin and find it extremely comfy! Only doing 1-3 hr trips every now and then, but have yet to ever get a sore arse.

Have you tried a corbin seat? I know that there are a lot opinions on the looks, etc... but I have one that I use on long trips and the wife and I love it - Also, my wife also uses a gel pad that we bought at a local auto parts store - was on sale for about $15.00 - it has a loop strap on it that goes around the back rest to help hold it in place.

With the corbin, you can also keep the Morley seat for shorter trips, etc...

Mike

Haden't thought of a corbin as some had said it was hard as a board and
my arse was allready sore. Unfortunately dont have the funds to invest
in a Corbin, spent most of my funds on Seans seat , shocks and replacing
the fork seals. I had seen some Gel pads for about $80 but not sure
about them. If I later go with the Airhawk or Gel pad I can transfer it
to another bike. Just kinda sucks. I actually don't have a problem with
the look of the Corbin.
Thanks,
Chris

The stock seat is very uncomfortable to say the least

I have the Airhawk 2 and the Travelcade Gel Pad (Saddlemen)

http://www.saddlemen.com/store/inde...th=169&zenid=8af4b8f0c8bc3bcced43af6f8e243d68

The Airhawk sits in the cupboard most of the time, did not like the way I shifted around on a pocket of air on the stock seat. It made me feel less in control of the bike underneath me.

I am a Clydesdale of a rider 6'5" 320lbs so upgraded seating or padding is a must.

The Airhawk is very well made, I was sure I was going to pop it when i first sat on it but it is made out of a very tough rubber compound, and it is much more comfortable than the stock seat but I always reach for the Gel pad for the feeling of increased stability it gives me....

If I go on a long ride I will put the Airhawk in the backpack to be able to switch back and forth between the two

I like the way the pads lift me out of the "bucket" that the stock seat feels like after about 15 minutes of riding and the way the seat forces your crotch into the faux tank cover will be helped by either pad

If you buy the Airhawk remember to only add very little air to it otherwise it will be like sitting on a balloon

I have the AH and as long as you set the air pressure right you should never feel like you're sitting on air other than the fact that it's more comfy and allows your ass to breathe... lol

Pretty sure I have this one for me. http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=1247498492.1106&pid=3&product=AirHawk

This one for Susan (which we have yet to test) http://www.rlmotorcycles.com/cgi-bin/eShop/index.cgi?cart_id=1247498492.1106&pid=5&product=AirHawk

Personally I like them.

The goal to touring is to stretch real well and to take some ibuprofen. I learned that from an Iron butter... lol

Thanks guys,
Guess the bum just needs some toughening up. :rofl_200:
Still look into the airhawks or a gel pad at the least.
Thanks again,
Chris

Thanks guys,
Guess the bum just needs some toughening up. :rofl_200:
Still look into the airhawks or a gel pad at the least.
Thanks again,
Chris

Just remember Gel gets hot and stays hot for a long time which sucks when the bikes out in the sun...

I have used gel pads and they do get hot. I add a sheepskin in the hot part of the year as it helps with the hot seat and cuts down on the sweating and "monkey butt". Plus adds a little cushion. The sheepskin pads usually come with velcro straps. I attach the mating velcro to the bottom of the seat with the tape provided and add rivets to help secure it. The sticky tape usually fails in the Texas heat and the rivets keep the velcro in place. This method does require the seat to be removed to add or remove the pad but it is a cleaner install. Also it can't be stolen when parked.

Thanks for the links Chris - this looks like a better price than usual.

I am considering a BIG road trip soon so I think an AH will be needed. When you say 'pretty sure', can you check that yours is the 14"x14"? I'd hate to buy the wrong size..

Yes please.:punk:

The gel cushion I was looking at was an AMS and allready had a
sheepskin cover. raises you about an inch.
Chris

Latest posts

Back