Stopping a '92 Max...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gally

Reaction score
I have been reading about SS breaklines, calipers, pads etc. here. Seems everyone has done something with their breaks but all have a little variation.

A good friend of mine who knows bikes had a look at my Max today and said the first thing I should do....before the shotgun or even before an oil change!, is to get SS lines, if possible seperate lines from the cylinder. It gets pretty hot here and the rubber lines take a beating....

If YOU were me and wanted a front break solution....what would you do? I dont mind spending some money to beef up the reliability and stopping power as was said here..."your money or your life"...cosmetics is lessor the priority...but need to look good too:thumbs up:.

What set up would you guys go with for a 1992 stock wheels and breaks???

I have been reading about SS breaklines, calipers, pads etc. here. Seems everyone has done something with their breaks but all have a little variation.

A good friend of mine who knows bikes had a look at my Max today and said the first thing I should do....before the shotgun or even before an oil change!, is to get SS lines, if possible seperate lines from the cylinder. It gets pretty hot here and the rubber lines take a beating....

If YOU were me and wanted a front break solution....what would you do? I dont mind spending some money to beef up the reliability and stopping power as was said here..."your money or your life"...cosmetics is lessor the priority...but need to look good too:thumbs up:.

What set up would you guys go with for a 1992 stock wheels and breaks???

I just spent 81.00 for some EBC HH brake pads and I will tell you what my brakes are great to me with the stock calipers and lines.
I will admit that SS lines will make a day and night difference in feel of the brakes but I dont think they increase stopping power. IMHO

Well, your stock rubber brake lines are 15 years old, so no doubt they are swelling under use. SS lines are a good start and use a good brake pad as lankeeyankee has suggested. There is no real advantage/disadvantage to using the 2 lines instead of 3.

SS lines are a good starting point. Then get a set of late model rotors (R1 or Vmax) and a set of huyabusa calipers and then the adapters I make and you'll have killer brakes. Total investment won't even be that much.

Sean Morley

SS lines are a good starting point. Then get a set of late model rotors (R1 or Vmax) and a set of huyabusa calipers and then the adapters I make and you'll have killer brakes. Total investment won't even be that much.

Sean Morley

I saw the post about "Buffaloracing" for the pads. Where is a good place to get the SS line setup? I would love to get the whole setup and install all at once.

Do the Huyabusa calipers make a dramatic difference over the pads and lines suggested?

Yes, one of the other members on here got one of my first sets. Here's a link to his post. Apparently there is a very tiny flaw in the adapter that all that was required was a little clearancing to the caliper. I don't think that it will always be that way since the tolerances of all the parts will vary.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=3200

The install is super clean and killer brakes.

Oh yea, he still has the stock lines on it too!!!

Sean

I saw the post about "Buffaloracing" for the pads. Where is a good place to get the SS line setup? I would love to get the whole setup and install all at once.

Do the Huyabusa calipers make a dramatic difference over the pads and lines suggested?

www.whitebuffaloracing.com is a great place for all your braking needs. Now for the 4 pot upgrade mounts I would talk to Sean (one2dmax).

Call or email WBR and talk to Mike. I have Galfer lines and EBC pads on both of my bikes.

Call or email WBR and talk to Mike. I have Galfer lines and EBC pads on both of my bikes.

Mike got back right away :clapping:with a quote on the lines and pads. Were your pads FA88 HH pads?

I think Ill go with the lines and pads. Getting the new calipers /rotors with the old lines will still have 16 year old lines in a lot of hot weather.

Should I do anything to the rotors before I install the pads...they look pretty good (no pits or anything) , they are not the drilled rotors.

Mike got back right away :clapping:with a quote on the lines and pads. Were your pads FA88 HH pads?

I think Ill go with the lines and pads. Getting the new calipers /rotors with the old lines will still have 16 year old lines in a lot of hot weather.

Should I do anything to the rotors before I install the pads...they look pretty good (no pits or anything) , they are not the drilled rotors.

Scuffing them up with some light sand paper or a scotch bright. I would also clean the calipers. Using some non chlorinated brake clean and a tooth brush, you need to clean the pistons so they slide in and out easily.

If they're HH pads then you're golden. A lot is us have the 4 piston brakes so our pads are different.

Good luck,
Chris

Latest posts

Back