Storing Bike(s) for Winter (Great White North)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
Ok, I need some winterization advice for the bikes (Max and ZX6R).

It's gonna snow, it's gonna get cold (-30C/-22F), so what do I do? Bikes will be stored in my UNHEATED shed, existing floor is concrete, the addition I need to add will be wooden.

take a look here man:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=5902

i'd also make sure ur antifreeze is a good mix.

I've seen that before, but most reference heated storage... I'm not that fortunate. :(

So I've acquired a Center Stand to use to store it, and plan to place carpet under the front tire. I had planned to remove the batteries (both bikes) and store them in the basement.... (hmmm.... my wife loves her bike, bet I could convince her to let me store them in the basement!!) ok, that thought aside, I've heard reference to 'flogging the engine'? I think that's what it was called. Is that when you remove the plugs and pour a cap of oil into the cilynder, turn it over a couple times and replace the plug? Is this recommended????

Your best bet is to add seafoam to the fuel for stabilization and then fog the engine and then shut off and don't run till spring. (flogging is something you do at the track!)

Turning the key every so often to keep the bowls full of fuel doesn't hurt though.

Pour oil into the crank case until it's RIGHT at the point of overflowing out. That will keep all the lower parts of the engine in oil and away from any air and moisture.

Check anti-freeze to make sure it's capable of the cold.

Any bare metal, coat with WD-40 (not the brakes though!!!!)

Buy (if you don't already have) a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. and leave it connected all winter.

Get a nice cover over it and you're good to go.

Chris

Your best bet is to add seafoam to the fuel for stabilization and then fog the engine and then shut off and don't run till spring.

Turning the key every so often to keep the bowls full of fuel doesn't hurt though.

Pour oil into the crank case until it's RIGHT at the point of overflowing out. That will keep all the lower parts of the engine in oil and away from any air and moisture.

Check anti-freeze to make sure it's capable of the cold.

Any bare metal, coat with WD-40 (not the brakes though!!!!)

Buy (if you don't already have) a Deltran Battery Tender Jr. and leave it connected all winter.

Get a nice cover over it and you're good to go.

Chris

But the battery should come out so it doesn't freeze right? I'm using Engine Ice in mine, good to -27C so I should be ok there.

Oh, one more question. I have not picked up a Battery tender yet, but am planning too soon. While 2 bikes = 2 batteries, am I better off getting 2 battery tenders? Or one and move it back and forth week to week?

only problem with constantly keeping th ebattery on the tender (and its happened with mine) is that it causes the water to boil out. leaving a dry battery. not sure if this is as designed or something.

i'd get a dual tender.

only problem with constantly keeping th ebattery on the tender (and its happened with mine) is that it causes the water to boil out. leaving a dry battery. not sure if this is as designed or something.

i'd get a dual tender.
From what I've read about the Battery Tender, it's not supposed to do that?:ummm:
A dual would be a good idea, but I can buy 2 Jr.s for less than one dual.....

i'm not sure what the time period ur supposed to check the fluid, but both of my regular batteries have eventually went dry. and they were on tenders. i got a solid one.

then buy 2 jr's. no question there. that way they don't have to be next to each other.

I have had my SV1000S hooked to a Deltran tender its whole life. (except when riding duh) and I've NEVER had an issue. Don't mistake trickle chargers with tenders.

I have 3 or 4 of the Jr's and LOVE them.

Deltran also makes multi battery tenders but then you have to have all your toys next to each other or the batteries out of the bike. I wanted to do neither.

I have a tender Jr. on my 1998 F-150 4x4 which I took possession of in Sept. of 1997. It has the original battery in it. 90,000 miles!

I must say that ALL my batteries are the newer sealed type. IMO if you can you need to swap for sealed unit asap. Much better life IMO.

Chris

Ok, so it's settled... I'll order 2 Jr's and the bikes are going in the basement for hibernation over the winter.... Good time to do some mods! :)

Up here it gets pretty cold during the winter (-60's F) without the wind-chill. All my bikes I have stored outside, XS, Venture, Goldwing, etc... Here is what I've done and I've had Zero issues come spring:

• Changed The oil and gear oil.
  • Adjusted the antifreeze level to take the cold temp.
  • Put some sort of sabilizer in the fuel. in a full tank (I've used seafoam and stabil, however I had fuel issues in the small engines, ie. mower, leaf blower, and edger while using stabil).
  • Ran engine a little with the stabilized fuel then drain float bowls.
  • Pulled spark plugs and shoot a little WD-40 in the jugs and turn the motor over a few times. (we have a dry winter, so it wasn't needed to spray other metal areas).
  • Pulled battery and put it on the tender in the garage. (there was a time when I didn't bother pulling it, and just let it sit. I would get a sears battery for my Goldwing then warranty it out in the spring at no cost :biglaugh: The Venture's battery did just fine being left in the bike, the XS not so much).
  • Put bike on the centerstand.
  • put 2x6 under front tire.
  • Covered it up.
The Vmax is small enough to be kept in the garage next to my furnace. You look around up here, a good chunk of the bikes populus keep thier bikes outside either in a shed or on the back porch. Hope this helps, cold weather storage and safety items to carry in your vehicles is something that get's taught up here at an early age.

Attachments

• ap9325072.jpg
    ap9325072.jpg
    27.1 KB
  • winter 1.JPG
    winter 1.JPG
    8 KB
  • winter4.jpg
    winter4.jpg
    10 KB
Last edited:
Up here it gets pretty cold during the winter (-60's F) without the wind-chill. All my bikes I have stored outside, XS, Venture, Goldwing, etc... Here is what I've done and I've had Zero issues come spring:

• Changed The oil and gear oil.
  • Adjusted the antifreeze level to take the cold temp.
  • Put some sort of sabilizer in the fuel. in a full tank (I've used seafoam and stabil, however I had fuel issues in the small engines, ie. mower, leaf blower, edger).
  • Ran engine a little with the stabilized fuel then drain float bowls.
  • Pulled spark plugs and shoot a little WD-40 in the jugs and turn the motor over a few times. (we have a dry winter, so it wasn't needed to spray other metal areas).
  • Pulled battery and put it on the tender in the garage. (there was a time when I didn't bother pulling it, and just let it sit. I would get a sears battery for my Goldwing then warranty it out in the spring at no cost :biglaugh: The Venture's battery did just fine being left in the bike, the XS not so much).
  • Put bike on the centerstand.
  • put 2x6 under front tire.
  • Covered it up.
The Vmax is small enough to be kept in the garage next to my furnace. You look around up here, a good chunk of the bikes populus keep thier bikes outside either in a shed or on the back porch. Hope this helps, cold weather storage and safety items to carry in your vehicles is something that get's taught up here at an early age.

This here is what you would call an expert opinion.....:clapping:

Last edited:
I hear ya KJ, I live in a rural area on Lake Superior with lots of snow and frequent whiteouts. We've learned to keep vehicle in top shape full of gas and always travel with survival stuff extra clothes, snow shovels, tow ropes, come alongs, shelter, and way to start a fire. I also always carry a cooler in my truck so milk, juices , etc will not freeze on the way home from grocery store.
I'm lucky to be able to keep my bike in my brothers heated basement so we can work on our bikes. Still need to keep battery on charger though as he doesn't want bikes started while in the house.

We've learned to keep vehicle in top shape full of gas and always travel with survival stuff extra clothes, snow shovels, tow ropes, come alongs, shelter, and way to start a fire.

Yup, I just got done checking the winter items. Snow will be here in October, Temps will be going sub-arctic shortly after. I did have to re-up on the candle department.

A friend of mine and I broke down in his chev truck while coming back from Anchorage. It was pretty cool how a couple of space blankets and a candle burning on the consol kept us fairly warm, for the 3 hour wait for the wrecker to show up.

Battery Tenders will not boil over a battery, they're specially designed to prevent that and keep the battery at optimal charge. Trickle chargers supply a constant amperage. Tender's aren't expensive and they work great, Dennis Kirk sells the Junior model for $32.

I've had issues with sta-bil as well. I used it at the recommended ratio in my big 12 gallon gas can for the lawnmowers, ect. I fill that can maybe once a year. After 2 years in the spring, the gas reeked of varnish and had a very strong "stale gas" smell. Maybe it works for a month or two, but any long term storage it doesn't seem effective.

I really don't do much and have never had issues with my toys. For my Yamaha 4 stroke sled, I just add stabilizer to the fuel, unload the suspension, and forget it. It's indoors, but not heated. I went out to it the other day, it hadn't beeen touched for about 5-6 months and it started right up and ran great. When I had a 2 stroke sled I would put a little oil in the cylinders and slowly pull it over a few times also.

For my bike I did similar, stabilizer in the gas, on the centerstand, and in the garage. The Magna was a beeotch to start in the spring, it would start, run, die about 20 times before it ran on it's own. Ran kinda crappy for a mile or two but then cleared itself out and ran fine. I would have drained the carbs there, but if you've seen a Magna's carb rack you'd understand.

Latest posts

Back