the quest to jack up my bike...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
As some of you may know, I got some custom paint done!
As some may also know - I have the old hindle exhaust 4-1. Where the pipes sit ON TOP of each other, instead of side by side.

I am hoping to jack up the bike and remove the front wheel (and also I'm installing a fork brace while it's off).

The hindle hangs low and to the right.

I spent a couple hours building a brace to fit around the exhaust and onto the frame. I have blisters from the saw :p

I got it all built - and then realized I don't think there is going to be enough room for the jack AND the brace to fit under there.

We shall see tomorrow.

I have never jacked up a motorcycle - so this is all new to me.

Hopefully I'll be posting some pics up tomorrow of the custom paint!

As some of you may know, I got some custom paint done!
As some may also know - I have the old hindle exhaust 4-1. Where the pipes sit ON TOP of each other, instead of side by side.

I am hoping to jack up the bike and remove the front wheel (and also I'm installing a fork brace while it's off).

The hindle hangs low and to the right.

I spent a couple hours building a brace to fit around the exhaust and onto the frame. I have blisters from the saw :p

I got it all built - and then realized I don't think there is going to be enough room for the jack AND the brace to fit under there.

We shall see tomorrow.

I have never jacked up a motorcycle - so this is all new to me.

Hopefully I'll be posting some pics up tomorrow of the custom paint!
Good luck, let us know how it works out! Make sure you tie down the bike too, just as an added safety measure.

Here is a scissor jack that I picked up at Wally World for around $20.00. There is a nice flat spot on the oil pan where the jack sits very nice. I raise up the front until the rear tire in on the ground with slight pressure, and the bike sits rock solid.

Attachments

• DSC00822.jpg
    DSC00822.jpg
    84.2 KB
Interesting.

I thought I had to jack up by the frame rails?
I could add a portion to my brace that would sit under the middle - fpr added stability!

Ghost....Here's all you need for your front wheel/fork brace job. 3 pieces of scrap 2 x 4's as shown, place by your crash bars and push down on the sissy bar or grab rail, whichever you have, when the back of the bike goes down, the front comes up and the 2 x 4 brace stands up straight under the crash bars.

Only cut the uprights so the front wheel is a small ways off the floor...3/8" or so.

When you're done with the project just tap the bottom of the brace forward and the wheel will return to the floor.

1-man job! :punk:

Attachments

• 100_1383.jpg
    100_1383.jpg
    120.8 KB
  • 100_1385.jpg
    100_1385.jpg
    116.1 KB
I like it Danny. I've been doing the same, jacking up slightly under the oil pan using a hydraulic car jack, then placing car jack stands under the engine guards.
Super-stable and it ain't going anywhere.

Interesting.

Well, today I managed attaching the rear fender and faux tank cover.
The rear involved a little more work than I thought it would.
Some tricky nuts but nothing crazy.
I am just waiting on the front fender now - which requires the tire off.

Off to work for the next few days....

I will say this - from just seeing the rear and the faux cover - it looks flipping amazing....
just like I envisioned!!

Now if my knee gaurds would show up in the mail - im almost done ;)

Naw. He told me he sent them, has no tracking number.
They would have been here by now if all had gone according to plan.
It's not your fault gamorg :) He just isn't too concerned im out money AND gaurds.

I will send him another email tonight.

Paul: check with your post to see if they messed it up..
Me: I can't check without a tracking number...
Paul:I don't have one. Check with your post to see if...
Me: . . . .

Ghost....Here's all you need for your front wheel/fork brace job. 3 pieces of scrap 2 x 4's as shown, place by your crash bars and push down on the sissy bar or grab rail, whichever you have, when the back of the bike goes down, the front comes up and the 2 x 4 brace stands up straight under the crash bars.

Only cut the uprights so the front wheel is a small ways off the floor...3/8" or so.

When you're done with the project just tap the bottom of the brace forward and the wheel will return to the floor.

1-man job! :punk:

simple and effective, i like it danny :punk:

Guys, just to bring this topic back up - I'd like to ad a twist.

Does anyone have photos of their setup for jacking a Max WITHOUT a center stand? I've used some pretty rickety rigs in the past for such cases, but being older and wiser, I thought I'd rig something more substantial this time.

Photos or suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Guys, just to bring this topic back up - I'd like to ad a twist.

Does anyone have photos of their setup for jacking a Max WITHOUT a center stand? I've used some pretty rickety rigs in the past for such cases, but being older and wiser, I thought I'd rig something more substantial this time.

Photos or suggestions would be appreciated!

$88 - 1500lb lift from sears. Nice, you can even move your bike around once it's in the air too then lock the wheels if you don't want the lift to move. Just jack it up and put on the safety straps and your golden.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950190000P?keyword=motorcycle+lift

Attachments

• P1030080.jpg
    P1030080.jpg
    73.2 KB
  • P1030082.jpg
    P1030082.jpg
    71.8 KB
  • P1030086.jpg
    P1030086.jpg
    77.6 KB
  • P1030087.jpg
    P1030087.jpg
    71.4 KB
  • 00950190000-1.jpg
    00950190000-1.jpg
    54.9 KB
Yeah that's the jack I have - however, it doesn't work with the HIndle.

Otherwise it's awsome.

Yeah that's the jack I have - however, it doesn't work with the HIndle.

Otherwise it's awsome.

I was just looking at some various images of the hindle. I was thinking a cradle mounted on top of the lift and cut away to support the pipe on one side and the frame on the other might work.

Like a re-enforced square made from 2x6's then take a jigsaw and trim up where the pipes are.

Note, it appears that the bike is jacked up right on the header which we do all the time. The hindle equipped bike can maybe be done similarly by adding some 2x4's on the side that doesn't have the tubes.

Sean

I tried to build a support that would lift on the frames. The jack wouldn't slide under the bike with the brace included. Very frustrating.

I will trust you Sean that you jack it up on the header - as i didn't have the nuts to try it...

Back