those that have ridden one....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can make an S an N but it's VERY hard to make an N an S. The N's are VERY rare. Only brought here one year. Basically the same though.

Bullet proof motor that's a DREAM in the twisties.

If I was buying "touring" bike I would look no further than a Connie 14.

Chris

You can make an S an N but it's VERY hard to make an N an S. The N's are VERY rare. Only brought here one year. Basically the same though.

Chris
+1

Great power (slightly detuned from ZX14 - same motor), touring ergos, and great pricepoint for what you get.

Maybe I should qualify 'touring'. The vmax in my mind is more than touring capable, so anything similar would get my vote. I also consider the vmax more standard than cruiser by foot position and overall positioning.

Chris

thanks everyone so far for your thoughts, any other thoughts from anyone?

I've been on both the st and the gpz 1100's. Talk about comfortable rides.

If I were to sell my max, it would be to get one of these two bikes.

Have you considered a mid 90's model ST1100 or the GPZ1100?
They can be had for about $4-5K in decent shape.

They make nice hp, flat as hell tq curve, handle well and can hit 150mph :)

Attachments

• st1100.jpg
    st1100.jpg
    82.5 KB
  • kawasaki_gpz_1100_1995.jpg
    kawasaki_gpz_1100_1995.jpg
    48.9 KB
i love the bkings, man they have to be a hoot. i also like the z1000s tho... i dunno i like em all >.<

I've been on both the st and the gpz 1100's. Talk about comfortable rides.

If I were to sell my max, it would be to get one of these two bikes.

Have you considered a mid 90's model ST1100 or the GPZ1100?
They can be had for about $4-5K in decent shape.

They make nice hp, flat as hell tq curve, handle well and can hit 150mph :)

nice bikes, but too toury for me. i don't want a 'tourer' but something i can put bags on and not want to kill myself after a couple hundred miles.

Only other bike I can think of is the FZ1, R1 motor/ upright seating/ small fairing is a good combo, should be a few of them around.
Here's a black 2005 on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-FZ1-1000cc-Motorcycle-/150477058222?pt=US_motorcycles#v4-37

not a huge fan of the fz1 body work, plus the throttle response. its either on /off, no like smooth midrange (at least the one i rode).

i love the bkings, man they have to be a hoot. i also like the z1000s tho... i dunno i like em all >.<

me too!

i don't want a 'tourer' but something i can put bags on and not want to kill myself after a couple hundred miles.

You ever looked at the Kawi Versys Garrett?

An '08 or even '09 would be within your budget. From what I hear, they are really great lil' bikes. Only a parallel twin 650, of course..

You ever looked at the Kawi Versys Garrett?

An '08 or even '09 would be within your budget. From what I hear, they are really great lil' bikes. Only a parallel twin 650, of course..

yea not bad bikes. i think that would kill my 'torque/power similar to vmax' requirement tho...

I LOVED my 2007 Speed Triple. It was fast, handled amazingly well, sounded awesome with the Arrow 3 into 1. After proper dyno tuning and a tune-boy, it had 118 rwhp, and 75 lbs of torque the torque was like a flat line across the sheet and you could tell on the road. I loved it. I wasnt crazy about it's willingness to wheelie - but everyone else seems to think thats a PRO not a con, lol. You can get them WAY under $7K. There is a sick 2006 with lots of goodies at European Motorcycles of Pittsburgh for a lot less. Not to complicate things but I would also REALLY look at a Moto Guzzi Griso. Like an S3 but way calmer. Downside is that it's a lot slower too, even tuned, for the years that fit your price range. The 2009+ are a lot faster but are in the $9K range or better.

Finally there's the beast. BMW's K1200R . 163 HP, 94 Torque. Loads of options from ABS, heated seats, traction control. You can put bags on it and ride from Alaska to Chile. In your price range you'll probably find a non-ABS one but frankly the maintenance on the bare models is sooo much easier. This thing really is bullet proof.

I LOVED my 2007 Speed Triple. It was fast, handled amazingly well, sounded awesome with the Arrow 3 into 1. After proper dyno tuning and a tune-boy, it had 118 rwhp, and 75 lbs of torque the torque was like a flat line across the sheet and you could tell on the road. I loved it. I wasnt crazy about it's willingness to wheelie - but everyone else seems to think thats a PRO not a con, lol. You can get them WAY under $7K. There is a sick 2006 with lots of goodies at European Motorcycles of Pittsburgh for a lot less. Not to complicate things but I would also REALLY look at a Moto Guzzi Griso. Like an S3 but way calmer. Downside is that it's a lot slower too, even tuned, for the years that fit your price range. The 2009+ are a lot faster but are in the $9K range or better.

Finally there's the beast. BMW's K1200R . 163 HP, 94 Torque. Loads of options from ABS, heated seats, traction control. You can put bags on it and ride from Alaska to Chile. In your price range you'll probably find a non-ABS one but frankly the maintenance on the bare models is sooo much easier. This thing really is bullet proof.

loved my s3 as well. it was the 955 model and still a blast. def wasn't as comfy as the vmax though. why'd you sell yours?

there is a 1200r within a couple hours for 7700. looks nice. def something to consider. love the look of the 1200r.

Garrett, talking of triples, what about the Tiger 1050? A friend of mine in O-town rides one, and while it kinda looks like a trailie, it's actually a top-notch and very comfortable road bike. That 1050 motor has some punch too :)

something to consider, but my huge 29" inseam may not work well with the tiger.

I actually found the S3 very comfy once I got the Sargent seat. I also had thicker bars, was going to put in risers and then I think it would have been perfect. I got rid of it because it felt a little small for me. I felt like a gorilla on a unicycle. So I went to a Harley SuperGlide. Big mistake. I really liked the Harley a lot but after a 94 VMAX and an S3 the Harley felt like it was standing still.

I love the look of the K1200R too. heck even the R1200R is sweet, but nowhere near as fast and then I'd get the Guzzi instead. I'd go ride it but be prepared to love it. The suspension is ridiculous, feels like you are invincible. $7,700 sounds pretty good if it's in good shape, which those usually are.

loved my s3 as well. it was the 955 model and still a blast. def wasn't as comfy as the vmax though. why'd you sell yours?

there is a 1200r within a couple hours for 7700. looks nice. def something to consider. love the look of the 1200r.

Latest posts

Back