Tools I'll need

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone mentioned a tamper-proof torx (t25 bit) is that what they mean.

Yes, you can get a hole set of of the torx bits from Harbor Freight for cheap. Or, use a locking pliers to remove the screw and replace with allen screws.

The philips he is referring to is actually a torx screw, and in this case it is a tamper-proof torx (t25 bit). There is one torx screw on all four of the carb slide covers. The philips chris is refering to is a No. 3 philips that hold the scoops on.
Probably you right. Its depends where do you live.
In my country most of people name torx's as philips an in other direction.

Basicly PHILIPS are hexagonal bolts with spherical head and Allen are cylindrical.
In poland we call them completely difrent names.
Sorry guys if i've done some miunderstandings...it seams that i need to lern
some US defines :)
gamorg02; said:
hey i had a question for u Europe folks, satariel666 or whoever.

in the US we have our rachets in 3/8", 1/4" and 1/2" sizes that are standard, what are your standards?

Also imperial sizes but mostly usable one is 1/2" and very rare 1/4".

Thanks Sean for the great list but I hope to never have to need a lot of them........lol

I just want to start off with the basics and I have full sets of craftsman wrenchs and sockets in standard and metric.

Since I will be taking my carbs off beside the torque wrenchs I'm concerned about the special phillips everyone is talking about. Just called Sears and they have no idea what it is.

Someone mentioned a tamper-proof torx (t25 bit) is that what they mean.
Again sorry for mistoughts.

Sean post an great advice with Impact driver.
Its must to have.

You think you guys are confused imagine someone like me who is just learning
:rofl_200:

Off to buy my inch and lb torque wrenches and tamper-proof torx (t25 bit).
27mm open end/box end/rachet end

ordered a carbtune but held off on the Colortune because of the warning someone posted...

will catch up with you later today

Ron

OK here's some pics...

---------Allen?-------------------Torx-----------------Phillips

Attachments

• socket-head-allen-cap-screw.jpg
    socket-head-allen-cap-screw.jpg
    14.1 KB
  • torx_4.jpg
    torx_4.jpg
    53.2 KB
  • phillips.jpg
    phillips.jpg
    38.3 KB
You think you guys are confused imagine someone like me who is just learning
:rofl_200:

Off to buy my inch and lb torque wrenches and tamper-proof torx (t25 bit).
27mm open end/box end/rachet end

ordered a carbtune but held off on the Colortune because of the warning someone posted...

will catch up with you later today

Ron
I have colortune and im using this with pure pleasure, however ist old USSR production and have about 30 years on neck :D
Works fine and very helpful but i use this with many many bikes so for me its usable.

In v-max you can set the mixture without this and with no problems.
Maleko made some great manuals is Carb section.

I can't help you with modern colortunes.
I just dont know them...

On my tamper proof torx on the carbs, I just broke off the little post in the middle with a punch and used a regular torx tool. That said, I replaced all my carb bolts (and every other bolt on the bike) with stainless steel allen (AKA hex head) bolts. No more rusty, corroded or reamed out bolts.

OK here's some pics...

---------Allen?-------------------Torx-----------------Phillips

Thanks I know what each type of bolt is, the confusing part is some people were calling them different names.....lol

I just bought a 33 piece security set at Sears..

Ron

Thanks I know what each type of bolt is, the confusing part is some people were calling them different names.....lol

I just bought a 33 piece security set at Sears..

Ron

Yeah sorry Ron that was for our Polish friend... Just so he knew where we US peeps stood...

OK here's another thought - don't use regular Phillips head screwdrivers - use JIS ( Japanese Industrial Standard ) Phillips screwdrivers. They fit tighter - less chance of slipping/stripping. Available here pretty cheap for a set of 4 - http://www.mcmaster.com/# Search the site for JIS & you will find them. NOT a necessity, but if you're a tool nut like me & have a separate tool box just for the VMAX it's a nice addition. A superior tool for a superior bike IMHO.

I know you guys are trying to help but DAMN if I was to buy every tool that is being suggested as "the best" I would have to sell my bike to pay for them..........lol

Double check before you buy that colortune.

Some people were saying it doesn't fit good with our Vmaxes.

And go with the 4 column Carbtune, much easier to sync.

Who is saying that? I had someone suggest I get one when I buy the carbtune.. ??

anyone else want to chime in

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR & GET AN INCH LB. TORQUE WRENCH ! A LOT OF THE TORQUE SPECS. ARE IN REAL LOW FOOT LBS. FOR EXAMPLE ; THE OIL PAN BOLT TORQUE SPEC. IS 7.2 FT. LBS. I HAVE OVER $30,000.00 INVESTED IN TOOLS AND DO NOT HAVE A FT. LB. TORQUE WRENCH THAT GOES THAT LOW , SO YOU MULTIPLY 7.2 FT. LBS. X 12. INCH LBS. = 86.4 INCH LBS. SO TIGHTEN THEM TO 86 INCH LBS. & YOUR " GOOD TO GO " !:punk:

I went to Sears today and asked for a INCH LB. TORQUE WRENCH and they looked at me like I was talking greek, there was only a girl who knew nothing just a cashier, a old guy who said at his age he doesn't remember much...that's a quote.........lol

I called the store 75 miles away and got the same kind of answers. The difference between them and me is I admit to not knowing about torque wrenches..

I would appreciate if any of you could tell me which torque wrench that they carry is the one I need for INCH LB.

I'll even give you the direct link to the torque wrenches at Sears

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=torque+wrench

Thanks

Ron

Thanks, no colortune for me........lol I'll just order the Carbtune

Ron

I had a colortune, it's terrific in theory...look directly into the combustion chamber and tune the fire to the perfect shade of blue!

It would prolly be great on a lawnmower, on a v max...nothing but a PITA!!

I sold it and was thrilled to get rid of the damned thing.

E Bay has a bunch of torque wrench's...you could undoubtedly find one there...maybe even a Carbtune also.

Also get a good manual...I use Chilton's, they're good, and there are others. Again--e Bay.

danny

Latest posts

Back