V8 max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Windber Pa there was a Harley that some guy built that had 2 bikes joined together named King Kong. Google King Kong Windber Pa

Whenever I see extreme creations like this or even the production Boss Hoss I am reminded of the legendary "Wild"Bill Gelbke and his Roadog and Auto Four creations. http://www.walneckswap.com/miscpage_010.asp
My dad knew Bill Gelbke and had several stories about the man . Sadly neither of them are with us any more.

Whenever I see extreme creations like this or even the production Boss Hoss I am reminded of the legendary "Wild"Bill Gelbke and his Roadog and Auto Four creations. http://www.walneckswap.com/miscpage_010.asp
My dad knew Bill Gelbke and had several stories about the man . Sadly neither of them are with us any more.
I herd a story that Wild Bill was the only person who could ride that crazy thing.:biglaugh:

Supposedly Buzz Walneck occasionally rides it to shows and rallies. However, he usually trailers it, go figure.

Cool idea for sure, but......

No shifter, no rear brake lever, single radiator for twin engines, single stock exhaust for twin engines but the exhaust isnt even connected, Carburetors on outside cylinders appear to be missing (look at the chrome runner covers). No way to get your legs on the outside of that engine without riding your leg on the engine itself. No way to make a turn without grinding the cases :ummm:

Show bike. Probably starts and runs stationary and sounds and looks amazing. Just cant really ride it....

Show bikes are cool, I'm just more impressed by finished bikes that can perform as cool as they look though.... :confused2:

Gelbke's bike was a Chevy II 4 cyl I think, w/o looking at the site. That was a popular engine in midget racing until they began cutting a Chevy V8 in half to make the Sesco-Chevy. As an engineer, he was very creative, too-bad he had such an untimely death. I think he may have been mentally-ill at the end of his life.

The H-D Museum in Milwaukee has one of those twin-engine bikes, it may be "King Kong." i just checked my archive, it is.

Cool idea for sure, but......

No shifter, no rear brake lever, single radiator for twin engines, single stock exhaust for twin engines but the exhaust isnt even connected, Carburetors on outside cylinders appear to be missing (look at the chrome runner covers). No way to get your legs on the outside of that engine without riding your leg on the engine itself. No way to make a turn without grinding the cases :ummm:

Show bike. Probably starts and runs stationary and sounds and looks amazing. Just cant really ride it....

Show bikes are cool, I'm just more impressed by finished bikes that can perform as cool as they look though.... :confused2:
At first I thought It was real. Then it wasn't,now it is real again.Only to my disappointment, it's just a non functional fake bike.Somebody must have had a lot of time on there hands.:rofl_200:

In Ann Arbor MI Tom Monaghan had an auto museum which had a pretty-widespread collection. I recall one of them was a rail dragster but it was apparently half-size, except for the motor. I seem to recall it had a double blower on it, the thing looked more like a cartoon car than a real racer. I have a film negative of it somewhere, and a print picture but not easily retrieved w/o a lot of searching. Sadly, I don't believe the auto museum still exists.

Showpieces are fun to look-at, but I like operational, functional ones better.

This seems to be a good time to mention another famous MI motorcyclist, EJ Potter, the "MI Madman" who raced a self-built V-8 dragster. Doesn't this pic look like a man & machine barely under control? A real crowd-pleaser!

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/05/08/ej-potter-michigan-madman/

Attachments

• ejpotter1.jpg
    ejpotter1.jpg
    33 KB
Back