vboost not working

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diddly squat

Reaction score
my vmax has been sitting a lot this winter.
i noticed on occasion that when i would ride it after sitting a couple of weeks the vboost would come in after a few tries, but today it isn't coming in at all. think the gas is fairly fresh.
what would "stick" on these, causing this?
mine's an '86.
thanks in advance!

Check the connections for corrosion and wriggle the wires going into the vboost controller and see if that helps

Mine started working intermittantly, and then the controller died.

When you turn on the ignition, do you hear the vboost initializing? If you dont hear it, check your relay that is behind your left scoop. My old '95 had bad connections so I ruffed up the connections with sand paper and it worked like a charm thereafter.

When you turn on the ignition, do you hear the vboost initializing? If you dont hear it, check your relay that is behind your left scoop. My old '95 had bad connections so I ruffed up the connections with sand paper and it worked like a charm thereafter.

yes, it is making all the right sounds.
wondering what in the system could be hanging up for lack of use if the electrics seem to be working? :ummm:

The vboost controller takes its pulse from one of the coils' wires, the first thing I'd check is all the connections to the controller and associated wires. Disconnect, look, clean, lubricate, reconnect.

well, i disconnected all those wires and sprayed them w/contact cleaner.
still doesn't work.
if my controller is bad, will the solenoid still make it's noise when i turn the key?

Maybe it's a mechanical problem, related to the cable(out of adjustment, unhooked, etc). Have you looked at the cam/plunger/cable assembly(not sure of the terminology), when the boost is going thru it's test cycle? You can see it operating, use a flashlight. Look between the carb bowl drain hoses, at the top of the plastic chrome "H", right hand side of the bike.
Cheers!

pulled the airbox and the mechanicals are working.
would everything w/the servo working properly maybe point to a bad controller?

Normally when the vboost cycles when the key is turned on it is working. I have a controller if you want to try it. Where in Houston are you located? There is a great bunch of guys in the houston Vmax group ( http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/V-Max_Houston/ ) and we are having a tech day April 1st. You are welcome to come to the tech day, and join the group if you want to.

follow up on vboost not working

i accepted Rhoy's kind offer to try out his controller and went to his house yesterday.
my vboost started working again on the 40 mile trip to his house.
Rhoy surmised i must have some bad connections in the wiring.
he answered all of my numerous questions, and was a genuine nice guy.

thanks to Rhoy and this forum for a great experience! :clapping:

Back