well, i did a dyno pull yesterday

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nosboss

Reaction score
First off the bike is a 1985 with 15k on it. Full kerker 4-2-1 and a stage 7 kit. It was 90 some degrees outside with very high humidity. Let me start by saying I am a little disapointed with the numbers. It made 108 hp and 69 tq. :ummm: The air/fuel was good most of the way hovering around 12.5-1 and diping a little towards 12 and 11.5 in the top half of the rpm's They pulled it in fourth and fifth and it made no difference in the numbers. I suppose the weather had a little bit to do with low numbers. I guess on an averag day it might pull 110. Any thoughts?

Yeah I was a little nervous putting mine up on the dyno after the last time I put down 122 rwhp versus last nights 117. I know the weather was really poor, and I can't even give a good comparo to my numbers as I have the Dyna on my bike now set two steps above stock as well. I didn't have the dip switch settings memorized to even get back to a stock setting to go off of. And really, the weather SUCKED. Even at 8PM it was still high 80's and in the 70-80% humidity, ICK!

Anywho, here are both of our vids and sheets.

Jason - NossBoss

RoeferDyno7-15-08.jpg

Dustin - QuarterHorse

JonesDyno7-15-08.jpg

FWIW here's a run down on the bikes.

NosBoss - 1985 Vmax, Kerker Header, Kerker Can, Stage 7 Carbs

QuarterHorse - 1993 Vmax, Hindle Header, Kerker K45 Can, Stage 7 Carbs, Dynatek.

First off the bike is a 1985 with 15k on it. Full kerker 4-2-1 and a stage 7 kit. It was 90 some degrees outside with very high humidity. Let me start by saying I am a little disapointed with the numbers. It made 108 hp and 69 tq. :ummm: The air/fuel was good most of the way hovering around 12.5-1 and diping a little towards 12 and 11.5 in the top half of the rpm's They pulled it in fourth and fifth and it made no difference in the numbers. I suppose the weather had a little bit to do with low numbers. I guess on an averag day it might pull 110. Any thoughts?

Yeah, weather makes a difference. Based on dyno sheet you could drop a main jet size but probably wouldn't worry about it since bad weather conditions.

Yeah, weather makes a difference. Based on dyno sheet you could drop a main jet size but probably wouldn't worry about it since bad weather conditions.

I was a little more worried than he was about it, but what about the 9-10 HP difference? Same dyno, same night.

I would rather wait for a decent day and do another dyno pull before I go changing the jet sizes. It was really miserable when the pulls were done. The main reason I'm not really concerned about it is because Quarterhorse lost 5 horsepower compared to his last pull. That would make me believe I could gain about 4hp on a better "weather" day. I think 112 is more like it... but what do I know.:ummm: Is the kirker header that much worse than the hindle?

The machine is supposed to account for the weather conditions.

Sean

I would rather wait for a decent day and do another dyno pull before I go changing the jet sizes. It was really miserable when the pulls were done. The main reason I'm not really concerned about it is because Quarterhorse lost 5 horsepower compared to his last pull. That would make me believe I could gain about 4hp on a better "weather" day. I think 112 is more like it... but what do I know.:ummm: Is the kirker header that much worse than the hindle?

No... Usually the Kerker is one of the best...

Not all dyno's are the same. Of course temp and humidity differences make a difference but so does the dyno itself.

108 is a bit low IMO but nothing to be ashamed of either. At Sturgis on the River the one Cobra piped bike ran 95 and then a full on stage 7 Kerker piped bike ran 112... The 112 guy was so pissed he crumpled up the paper and tossed it. He had an air shifter and all kinds of go fast stuff on it like Dymag wheels and such. In a way it was some what comical to see..:angry flame devil: :biglaugh: IMO it's all about how a bike is broken in... My 2006 with 2900 miles dyno'd 124 and 76lbft. in Topeka and I used the www.mototuneusa.com way to break it in. It's all about sealing those rings VERY well.

The guy on the dyno even pointed out that the Kerker primary tubes were smaller than the ones on my Hindle, thus his question. I didn't have a good answer, and hadn't seen a side by side comparo done with them.

Actually, I have a picture on here somewhere showing the Hindle, Kerker, UFO, are all the same primary pipe size.

Sean

Actually, I have a picture on here somewhere showing the Hindle, Kerker, UFO, are all the same primary pipe size.

Sean

And then there's the Holeshot with it's 4" pipe size... LOL Dale calls it his big tube kit... or something like that...:confused2:

I know the weather was really poor, and I can't even give a good comparo to my numbers as I have the Dyna on my bike now set two steps above stock as well. I didn't have the dip switch settings memorized to even get back to a stock setting to go off of.

The dyna for the early model units has a sticker that will tell you the settings which is right next to the dip switches. I dunno if yours does but it would help without trying to find the book.

front primary tubes measured out to 1.50 inches on a digital caliper.

Latest posts

Back