what cleans off old oil?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
so my old valve gaskets were leaking and i just ran the bike for the first time today after replacements and there are some oil marks. not sure if they are old or new, and looking for something good to clean them off so i can tell. any suggestions?

here's what i'm looking at...

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    70.3 KB
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    78.4 KB
if you had avgas that works great, or if you can get de-natured alchohol, i usually pick it up at ace in the states, comes in pint or gallon cans, works great no residue left

You're fine as long as you don't heat it... Personally, I won't allow any red in my garage.

Chris

91% alcohol in a spritz bottle works well and it's enormously cheap. You get a quart of it at drugstores for like a dollar. Use it on metal surfaces only though, it can mess with plastics and rubbers. It's also good mixed with sea-foam for the famous "sea-foam shooters" haha

Honestly I've never found commercial foamy degreasers to work that well. They're too expensive and the can is empty after like 5 seconds of spray.

Still, oil "stains" like that can be tough to get rid of no matter what you use. If you're looking for oil leaks, buy a can of that white foot powder spray. Spray the suspect area and you'll get a nice white coating. Any fresh oil will be very obvious, and then it just wipes off.

91% alcohol in a spritz bottle works well and it's enormously cheap. You get a quart of it at drugstores for like a dollar. Use it on metal surfaces only though, it can mess with plastics and rubbers. It's also good mixed with sea-foam for the famous "sea-foam shooters" haha

Honestly I've never found commercial foamy degreasers to work that well. They're too expensive and the can is empty after like 5 seconds of spray.

Still, oil "stains" like that can be tough to get rid of no matter what you use. If you're looking for oil leaks, buy a can of that white foot powder spray. Spray the suspect area and you'll get a nice white coating. Any fresh oil will be very obvious, and then it just wipes off.

like this?

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CGQQ8wIwAQ#

Yeah, something like that. One can will "paint" quite a lot and it sticks on pretty well. By far the best tip I've heard for finding the origin of leaks.

Fast Orange also works well for loads of other things than cleaning your hands. If you get the non-pumice version it works good for getting oil stains out of clothes, just rub it in and let it sit for a while before tossing it in the wash. Mix it 50/50 with water to get a watery paste, get an old toothbrush, and it's great for cleaning greasy corners and ridges on oil pans.

Back