What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny that I just installed Cycle One Off's spin on filter adapter. It was easy to do, looks good and didn't leak.

Installed a brand new set of gold KYB forks on Toxic, cleaned her up, and rode to work:eusa_dance: Have a couple of minor "gripes" to fix and then hopefully off to the BRC!!!

Yesterday I went and bought a shiny set of scoops. $300 CAD for the pair :clapping:

Attachments

• Scoops.jpg
    Scoops.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 25
Cycle one off is in the VMF links. The oil adapter is listed under oil pressure gauges. I would call and talk to Tom. You also need the front frame brace that is curved for clearance. It's a bolt on, so no problem there. I bought my brace from Yamahapartsdepot.com., but Tom also has them.

Ordered the blackened Kury throttle boss from Morley....love it! Mikuni 150's also arrived from Sean John so going to pop those in.

Cycle one off is in the VMF links. The oil adapter is listed under oil pressure gauges. I would call and talk to Tom. You also need the front frame brace that is curved for clearance. It's a bolt on, so no problem there. I bought my brace from Yamahapartsdepot.com., but Tom also has them.

Awesome! Thanks. I'll check it out.

This was about a week ago, not today, so forgive me for posting late:

My neighbor is thinking about getting a bike, so I offered to let him ride my 650 Kawi Ninja. I took the vmax.

Anyway, I live out in a rural area, so we headed for the farm roads. Hehehe ... the story probably requires no further detail. The two bikes are actually pretty well matched , but he was surprised that I was continually able to beat him. Off the line, from a rolling stop, and WOT.

It was a blast.

To my poor little Ninja's defense, I'm familiar with the vmax, and he had ridden sport bikes, but not mine, and none for a while.

Anyway, that's my two bits for the day.

Here's today's dumb question, on the oil drain plug do you need to take out or loosen the phillips head screw in the middle of the drain plug before you remove it?

Here's today's dumb question, on the oil drain plug do you need to take out or loosen the phillips head screw in the middle of the drain plug before you remove it?

Does it have a screw?!?!

Just remove the bolt. It does have a magnet, maybe that's what's attached to the screw. Not sure. But I just changed the oil last night, and I only removed the large bolt. 17mm if I'm not mistaken.

The early years had a magnetic oil pan drain plug with a screw head. Just take the big plug out.

Sean

I installed speed bleeders. This is the first bike I have ever put them on. Wow, why have I waited so long?

Took my long awaited new Shinkos to a local auto shop that said they can install my tires. What a mistake!!! They couldnt install the front saying it was too tight and they would scratch up the wheel, which they already did some minor scratches. The rear was mounted, but the red dot was a quarter ways off from the valve stem. A

Anyhow long story short, taking it to the motorcycle shop today to get it done right. I'm such a fool to try to save money here since its my bike in question and my LIFE too!!!..........

Cant wait to have these babies mounted up and break in before Thunder next month!

Took my long awaited new Shinkos to a local auto shop that said they can install my tires. What a mistake!!! They couldnt install the front saying it was too tight and they would scratch up the wheel, which they already did some minor scratches. The rear was mounted, but the red dot was a quarter ways off from the valve stem. A

Anyhow long story short, taking it to the motorcycle shop today to get it done right. I'm such a fool to try to save money here since its my bike in question and my LIFE too!!!..........

Cant wait to have these babies mounted up and break in before Thunder next month!
All the Shinko's I've used have taken a bit of lead to balance but I've never had any issues once they are on the bike. I think you'll end up liking them once you feel the grip. I'm running mine with a Metz 880 front tire and it's been a good combo for 6 k miles.

No problems here with using the auto store to do the tire installs.

Sean

I took Redbone for a quick 30 mile shake down run to test my suspension setup with all my gear for a 4 day weekend loaded up. Since I feel my Progressive HD 440's are a touch stiff on spring preload on the lightest setting I didn't change anything. I found that the ride was much smoother, maybe needing a touch more preload. Since I had my forks dialed in with progressive springs/ intiminators and 5 wt silkolene oil they worked pretty good with the added weight. They did feel a little light but I think it was due to the light spring setting of the rear shocks. I will test it out again tomorrow by changing the shock preload a notch or two.

I took Redbone for a quick 30 mile shake down run to test my suspension setup with all my gear for a 4 day weekend loaded up. Since I feel my Progressive HD 440's are a touch stiff on spring preload on the lightest setting I didn't change anything. I found that the ride was much smoother, maybe needing a touch more preload. Since I had my forks dialed in with progressive springs/ intiminators and 5 wt silkolene oil they worked pretty good with the added weight. They did feel a little light but I think it was due to the light spring setting of the rear shocks. I will test it out again tomorrow by changing the shock preload a notch or two.

If you feel the HD springs are too stiff you can swap them out for about $50.00.

Today I looked at the vmax lovingly while I drove away on the rocket ... in the rain.

My max is too squirrel'y in the rain and I need to re-wire my headlights which presently have semi exposed wiring and thus, I do not dare expose it to the elements.

She'll get some good miles this summer though ... if the rain ever goes away.

I rented a truck and a trailer and brought my bike home today!
Installed the battery, cleaned up the connections on the rear 2 coils and mounted everything, popped the seats back on, replaced the fuel filter. Gotta go see my boys Sea Cadet ACR, then after that and before the banquet I'd like to get the Coolant manifold mounted and hoses reconnected.

Tomorrow I'm heading to Halifax to go see Toolman (forum member) to pick up, what I hope is, the last round of parts that I need to get her back together! All my gaskets and cables arrived yesterday at the stealership so I picked them up on my way home, along with fresh oil, filter, fuel filter and another jug of engine ice :punk:

Weeeeeeeeeeee, with any luck I'll be firing her up this week and synching the carbs!! :clapping:

Back