What is gui crap in my airbox?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putin

Reaction score
2007 vmax 36000 miles. After winter bike started running strange, until it "choked" and almost died yesterday. With open choke, starts ok. Suspect dirty carbs, take off airbox and saw gui yellowish crap. What is this and from where? Can it go inside carburator?

Attachments

• 20240814_125730.jpg
    20240814_125730.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240814_131832.jpg
    20240814_131832.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Because you have a vent tube that runs from the engine crankcase to the bottom of the airbox, I believe it's oily condensation that is in the bottom of the airbox. It can't get into the carbs because the velocity stacks are mounted in the airbox and in the way.

Because you have a vent tube that runs from the engine crankcase to the bottom of the airbox, I believe it's oily condensation that is in the bottom of the airbox. It can't get into the carbs because the velocity stacks are mounted in the airbox and in the way.
Ye, but still sucks...

This might be a time to consider a couple of diagnostics.

A leak-down test.

A compression test (throttle held fully-open of course).

If you have a lot of congealing blow-by oil in your airbox, you may have sealing issues, like leaky valve seals or valve guides. The leak-down test helps to indicate a relative health of how-well the air pump which is your engine, is working.

Air coming from an exhaust could be out of adjustment exhaust valves. Worn piston rings can cause air to escape from the oil filler (cap removed). Air coming from the carbs/intake indicates out of adjustment intake valves.

A leak-down test.

Probably you are right. Means another headache. Right now carbs send to CaptainKyle for rebuilding, and i am not that mechanically inclined to do all that testing myself. Will try to ride as is.

That is not an uncommon site in these bikes. I wouldn't sweat it much.

That is not an uncommon site in these bikes. I wouldn't sweat it much.
They say it is not going into carbs, good enough for me. I will clean it from time to time. Fire Medic scared me with all those tests that i can not do myself, and there is no mech around to work on vmax. Thanks Sean for a good news.

The tests are to help determine the case of excessive blow-by from failing components in your machine. If the bike starts to smoke excessively, or only on some, but not all cylinders, then those are two ways to find where the problem(s) lie.

If you can change your own sparkplugs, you can do those tests. The gauges aren't expensive, you just like anything-else, have to follow the directions to obtain accurate results, and know how to interpret the data properly.

A leak-down test.

If you have a lot of congealing blow-by oil in your airbox, you may have sealing issues, like leaky valve seals or valve guides. The leak-down test helps to indicate a relative health of how-well the air pump which is your engine, is working.

Air coming from an exhaust could be out of adjustment exhaust valves. Worn piston rings can cause air to escape from the oil filler (cap removed). Air coming from the carbs/intake indicates out of adjustment

The tests are to help determine the case of excessive blow-by from failing components in your machine. If the bike starts to smoke excessively, or only on some, but not all cylinders, then those are two ways to find where the problem(s) lie.

If you can change your own sparkplugs, you can do those tests. The gauges aren't expensive, you just like anything-else, have to follow the directions to obtain accurate results, and know how to interpret the data properly.
Maybe. Let me finish with carburators first.

Those tests are for when the bike has an obvious issue, like pouring smoke out of the exhausts, CO2 in the coolant, overheating or other indicators of serious issues with the engine.

Those tests are for when the bike has an obvious issue, like pouring smoke out of the exhausts, CO2 in the coolant, overheating or other indicators of serious issues with the engine.
I Don' t have any obvious problems. Just carb issues.

Latest posts

Back