What tools do you carry on your bike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just wondering about the tire patch stuff a lot of you mentioned - you do mean the spray can that reinflates and temporarily fixes your tire, right?

I just can't see how you would get the wheel/tire off on the roadside, without a LOT more tools. The really large rear wheel nut comes to mind..

take a look at this brian: http://www.stopngo.com/ i have their kit plus the compressor for long trips.

short trips -> factory bag plus some electrical tape, vice grips and a razor to strip wires

long trips -> above plus tire patch stuff, spare levers and mirror (bar end).
Thanks Garrett, I like that one and I found another one from Slime. The tire top off unit is only $14.

NG-

mine is a plug kit. my vmax tool kit has a 27mm wrench in it though too. lack of CS would be the biggest issue probably if i had to remove it though.

I'm just wondering about the tire patch stuff a lot of you mentioned - you do mean the spray can that reinflates and temporarily fixes your tire, right?

I just can't see how you would get the wheel/tire off on the roadside, without a LOT more tools. The really large rear wheel nut comes to mind..

NG-

mine is a plug kit. my vmax tool kit has a 27mm wrench in it though too. lack of CS would be the biggest issue probably if i had to remove it though.
Could always use something like this if you don't have your centerstand.

Locally I use the factory tool kit, adding 2 of each fuse, phone charger, flashlight, spare key, electrical tape, tire gauge, pen & paper and leatherman.
On longer trips I add (on top of tools above) flashlight batteries, duct tape, wire, 14-16 ga electrical wire, posilocks, positaps wire stripers/ needle nose pliers, needle nose vice grips, screwdriver w/ multi tips and magnet extension, 1/4" drive ratchet w/ 8/10/12/14mm sockets, 8" adj wrench, file, wrenches 8/10/12/14mm, assorted hose clamps, spare H4 bulb, assorted zipties and medicine bottle with spare bolts washers, nuts, cotter pins to fit bike.
I really need to get a tire repair kit with air pump to add to the kit. What do you use for a air compressor? I found this one: Cycle Pump. It's not cheap though @ $100!
EDIT: I completly forgot about the allen wrenches, need to add that to the checklist.

I carry most of the above, plus a multimeter. The meter has an audible continuity feature, perhaps the most useful feature possible, when troubleshooting. I've had to use the meter a couple times.
For tires, I carry one of those "Inflate an' Seal" bottles, plus some tire plugs. Never had to use them yet!
However - something I haven't seen mentioned yet - I carry a Clymer manual. This I consider my #1 tool kit part. I don't leave home without it.
Cheers, happy touring!

I can take the wheel off with the OEM tool kit. I would stick a plug in a nail hole with the wheel on the bike, then pump it up. It get's you home. I've patched a tube on the road side with my old R100. It was a pain but the weather was dry which made it less of a problem.
Steve

What about a trailer for the tools?
Cellphone and road assistance is all you need... I ditched my vmax toolbag to the parts bin like 10 years ago...

I use some of the stock tools; 10,12,14mm wrenches. Replaced screwdriver with good one with 2 phillips 2 straight. Added an 8" adjustable. Stock kit pliers (which can crimp in an emergency) Only the allens I need on my bike and no more. Plug wrench. I wrap about 18 to 20 inches of electrical tape around one of the wrenches. about a foot of safety wire. a couple of butt splices 2 wire nuts, 4 wire ties rolled up with it all. There may be something I have left out/It's tight but it all goes in the stock location. I have 3 different tire inflator systems, and not sure the best to carry on the max: The CO2 with 4 or 5 bottles (kept on dirt bike). The engine/spark plug hole inflator (kept in the backrest bag of the Honda) and a small (about the size of 2 wallets) air compressor. Not sure where to best store that. It would fit where my coils are if I went to cops though.....

A truck pulled out in front of me on the highway once, I could've used some toilet paper that day.

One other thing I carry in my tools on a trip, a key switch by pass. I made this up after I got
trailered home last year. I could have just plugged it in and road back home. It's small.(I know what you're thinking Tim, tow a spare bike..lol)
Steve

Last edited:
I have the original toolkit under the seat myself, along with wallet with AAA. I do plan on going thru it and taking out some stuff and adding others.

I hear ya Rusty! Some years ago I remember being stranded on the side of I 5 north right where 78 east takes off by the "Duck Lagoon" on my old shovelhead.Didn't have a cell phone in those days but had a crap load off extra parts,tools,tape electrical wire,spare plugs,points etc in my saddle bags and still couldn't figure out the problem. Along came another biker who pulled over and asked if he could help. I asked if he could get to a phone and call my wife to bring the trailer and come get me that would be cool. He immediately reached in his jacket and pulled out a cell phone and said"Here ya go,give her a call" Well I thought that was the shit man! Called her and she came with the trailer and bailed me out. That's when I discovered that a cell can be your best friend as a biker provided you're in an area with service.:bang head:
Mike

Latest posts

Back