Why a Vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
I've been riding for a long time. Lotsa bikes, miles, years, stories. I'm not a poser and like the real deal. Power over style. Substance over "aura". Adrenaline over ego.

I recently re-acquired another of a bike I had years ago. I loved it and regretted selling it for many years. But, I got another and the mod monkey hit on that one, too. I kept it sensible and can easily revert to fully stock condition if I like. Another of the '80's power cruisers, the ZL900 Eliminator:

Eliminator_Rt_Side.jpg

Now this bike is certainly no slouch, and I've been riding it a lot lately. Mainly since the Max was semi down for some much-needed brake work. Well, the brake work was finished last weekend and I got back on Mr. Max after over a month.

And I remembered the answer to the thread title question. It's a whole 'nother dimension.

Holy Hell these are great bikes!

But, you guys already knew that.

Max_Parked.jpg

Sorry. I'll be alright.

Must be my meds wearing off...

Desert! Very nice ZL I have one in my garage too. I just wish it was mine. My friend has two 85's and one is in pcs going through a major restoration. He has taken it all the way down to the frame. Powder coated frame , re-painted engine, chromed wheels Etc. it is all tricked out!

Looks fantastic! It's better with the cut-down fender too.

Now you just need to investigate modding that durn gas tank so it holds more than 2.5 gallons!

Ride well and safely.

Elimax

Nice eliminator i to almost bought 1 when i was on the hunt for a muscle bike i found the zl 1000 rode it, but i dont know why kawi didnt give the 1000 the same mean look as the 900. After i bought the vmax i was hooked i did race a 900 in a quarter mile rolling start and it was close, i beat him not by much. I keep looking on ebay for the 900 my problem is every time i get some green the mod monkey is there collecting for the Max. Nice rides . Jim

Thanks again, guys.

My point in this was that there's really only one Vmax. Nothing else like it.

Nothing.

I bought my 1st Eliminator brand new in 1985 in Florida. My riding buddy at the time was pissed and ended up buying a new ... '85 Vmax shortly after.

We had an absolute blast on those things. And as 1967Vmax mentions, they are surprisingly close in the quarter - especially if the Max rider is sleeping.

But, after those days, two things happened. I missed my ZL9 after selling it. Missed it badly.

And I wanted a Vmax.

It took me a while, but I managed to do both.

I can die now.

I like the styling of your Kawi, very tastefully done! An Eliminator for the stable is next on my want list when funds allow!

I've been riding for a long time. Lotsa bikes, miles, years, stories. I'm not a poser and like the real deal. Power over style. Substance over "aura". Adrenaline over ego.

I recently re-acquired another of a bike I had years ago. I loved it and regretted selling it for many years. But, I got another and the mod monkey hit on that one, too. I kept it sensible and can easily revert to fully stock condition if I like. Another of the '80's power cruisers, the ZL900 Eliminator:

Now this bike is certainly no slouch, and I've been riding it a lot lately. Mainly since the Max was semi down for some much-needed brake work. Well, the brake work was finished last weekend and I got back on Mr. Max after over a month.

And I remembered the answer to the thread title question. It's a whole 'nother dimension.

Holy Hell these are great bikes!

But, you guys already knew that.

Sorry. I'll be alright.

Must be my meds wearing off...

That was beautiful, man.........But you still can't have my Bud Light.....:eusa_dance:

Hey all,
I currently have an 85 max lightly moded ( piped,jetted & K&N filtered) & a 86 v65 bone stock (except for after market slipons), Heres the grand plan, I'm going to pick up the eliminator 900 & the madura next, I want the big four muscle of the 80's.
There will be others but I have to have those four, you feel my pain right??....lol..

Shorthair88.......

Hey all,
I currently have an 85 max lightly moded ( piped,jetted & K&N filtered) & a 86 v65 bone stock (except for after market slipons), Heres the grand plan, I'm going to pick up the eliminator 900 & the madura next, I want the big four muscle of the 80's.
There will be others but I have to have those four, you feel my pain right??....lol..

Shorthair88.......
I think we have the same plan. lol

Yeah it can be a job keeping up with them. I am gonna have to wait untill I get a bigger garage.

I agree with everything except the big Madura. I'm sorry, but the spoke wheels killed it, that thing is uglier than home made soap! I also had the mispleasure of riding one, VERY buzzy, had something to do with the angle of the motor configuration, since Honda had the patent on the V65, they used a slighter different angle which resulted in an unbalanced and unpleasant, vibrating mess! Parts are impossible to find also, just not a bike I'm going to waste my time on. Now, the ZL9 and ZL1000 Eliminators? Both are kick as bikes, and part of my collection. Of course, Mr. Max is #1, but the Eliminators and V65 Magnas are right behind! If I had a bigger garage, I would have more also!!!!:punk:

Found this online, a little better explanation about the engine configuration:

The Magna has a 90? V4, 16 valves DOHC engine and a shaft drive mounted, liquid cooled with 116Bhp (With the 90? angle, there are absolutely no engine vibrations and Honda has this engine setup under their Patent)
The Magna V65 was the fastest stock bike ever to leave the factory in the early 80?s.
The Magna sold very well and was immense popular. The US needed to react fast(*)

Suzuki came with their own Power Cruiser; The Madura GV1200GLF and the smaller version the GV700GLF
The GV engine was a complete new and bold engine design for the Madura
The Madura was built in 1984 and launched in 1985 and 1986.
Due to patent from Honda with the 90? engine, the Madura was fitted with an 82? V4, 16 valves DOHC engine, a little vibration was expected and the engine was mounted in rubber.
Also a maintenance free shaft drive was fitted. The Madura is also liquid cooled and has 112Bhp

Back