" why are these engines so noisy " ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COP RUNNER

Reaction score
OVER 3 YEARS AGO WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT MY MAX , ( BRAND NEW ) WHEN I GOT HOME AND HAD IT RUNNING , I SAID TO MY FRIEND " MIKE " MAN THESE ENGINES ARE NOISY ! .. WE WERE LAUGHING , 3 YEARS LATER ITS STILL NOISY , SINCE I HAD CARB. ISSUES 3 YEARS AGO , I'VE HAD MY IDLE AT ABOUT 1,100-1,150 RPM'S , YESTERDAY I DECIDED TO LOWER IT AND SEE HOW LOW IT WOULD GO , SO WITH NO HELMET ON AND KNEELING DOWN NEXT TO IT AND MESSING WITH THE IDLE , IT JUST SEEMS LOUD , I NO THAT MOST ON THIS FORUM HAVE SAID THAT THIS IS NORMAL , BUT MAN , AT IDLE IT CLUNKS - BANGS - TAPS - THUMPS - SOUNDS LIKE A ROCK TUMBLER - A SEWING MACHINE - ALL IN ONE :rofl_200: BUT RUNS GREAT ! .. BUT BEING A MECHANIC , IT JUST SOUNDS WRONG ! .. :confused2: .. BUT OFF OF IDLE IT SOUNDS FINE ! .. :confused2: .. PS. I FELT AS IF I SHOULD HAVE BEEN WEARING A " KEVLAR FLAK JACKET " WHILE KNEELING NEXT TO THIS THING ! .. :rofl_200:

I know what you mean. It's a combination of cam chains, 4 valves per cylinder, 4 pistons, areas with space for sound to amplify and things I haven't even thought of running against each other. I've had a wide variety of motorcycles. Some have been serious rock tumblers and others have been extremely quiet. I used to worry, especially because a helmet tends to modify the sounds. The quietest engines were 2 strokes. No valve train. I got over the noises of most by installing a louder exhaust. That masks the engine noises. :biglaugh: And, Sounds Cool Too.

i cant underrstand what are you talking about...
in my engine i just here the sounds an engine produces with a v-4 sequence. my zxr 750 i owned that is an engine that makes noises like something is wrong in the idle. thisa very old video of my bike when my engine was 1260cc if my supertrapp werent that noisy you can understand that the engine sound is very smooth and not noisy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EB0zIRpk1Y

Enjoy the noise while you can...just a matter of time before the electric ( re: noiseless ) bikes take over...:ummm:

OVER 3 YEARS AGO WHEN I FIRST BOUGHT MY MAX , ( BRAND NEW ) WHEN I GOT HOME AND HAD IT RUNNING , I SAID TO MY FRIEND " MIKE " MAN THESE ENGINES ARE NOISY ! .. WE WERE LAUGHING , 3 YEARS LATER ITS STILL NOISY , SINCE I HAD CARB. ISSUES 3 YEARS AGO , I'VE HAD MY IDLE AT ABOUT 1,100-1,150 RPM'S , YESTERDAY I DECIDED TO LOWER IT AND SEE HOW LOW IT WOULD GO , SO WITH NO HELMET ON AND KNEELING DOWN NEXT TO IT AND MESSING WITH THE IDLE , IT JUST SEEMS LOUD , I NO THAT MOST ON THIS FORUM HAVE SAID THAT THIS IS NORMAL , BUT MAN , AT IDLE IT CLUNKS - BANGS - TAPS - THUMPS - SOUNDS LIKE A ROCK TUMBLER - A SEWING MACHINE - ALL IN ONE :rofl_200: BUT RUNS GREAT ! .. BUT BEING A MECHANIC , IT JUST SOUNDS WRONG ! .. :confused2: .. BUT OFF OF IDLE IT SOUNDS FINE ! .. :confused2: .. PS. I FELT AS IF I SHOULD HAVE BEEN WEARING A " KEVLAR FLAK JACKET " WHILE KNEELING NEXT TO THIS THING ! .. :rofl_200:
Clutch is making 80% of that noise.

That can be eleminated but why? LOL

Yep, loads of parts moving around in a pretty big case. Like a big block V8 with a hot cam....sounds like crap at idle. Rough, loping, until you get on it and things take off.

My V30 magna was extremely quiet, though it had the stock exhaust on it. Even still, the motor itself produced just a soft whine as it ran. At idle with a helmet on I couldn't hear it, remember always having to look at the tach to see if it was still running. Of course it always was, Hondas don't stall.

Yep, loads of parts moving around in a pretty big case. Like a big block V8 with a hot cam....sounds like crap at idle. Rough, loping, until you get on it and things take off.

My V30 magna was extremely quiet, though it had the stock exhaust on it. Even still, the motor itself produced just a soft whine as it ran. At idle with a helmet on I couldn't hear it, remember always having to look at the tach to see if it was still running. Of course it always was, Hondas don't stall.
All OF MY BIKES WERE ALWAYS PRETTY QUIET , MY MAX IS NOT TO BAD UNTIL IT GET HOT , THEN IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE " ONE ANGRY MECHANICAL BEAST " !

Back