2 brush starter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.n2o

Reaction score
Well guys my 89 has been cranking over very weak for about the past year, so much that I would cross my fingers every time I was out on a long ride and had to hit the button after a break. I decided to take the starter apart for shits and giggles and found that one of the brushes was not getting close enough to the armature causing it to crank very weak due to lack of current. What was happening was the 2 wires that connect to the brush were hanging up on the brush support not allowing the brush spring to push it fully on to the armature. I tweaked the wires very little allowing the brush to travel further down the bracket to the armature, brake cleaned everything good and reinstalled. "IT CRANKS LIKE A DIESEL." I started it "HOT" 5 times back to back and it still cranked hard. I just figured I share this with you guys before anyone decides to drop $100 on a starter. I bet this is a common problem.

Bro, you must have missed Yukoners post this week about the starter and it's rebuild. It is complete with pictures.

Bro, you must have missed Yukoners post this week about the starter and it's rebuild. It is complete with pictures.
oops....i'll have to check it out. I finished the job and started typin' too quick :bang head:

Back