5'' race tachometer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JIM93MAX

Reaction score
hi i am looking to put a 5'' race tachometer on my vmax and was wondering if any one could give me some input on what i would need if any thing other that the tach it self. also i noticed that some tack's only work on a motor with a disributor. which obviously the bike doesent have a distributor. so im also asking what type of tack can i put on there? thanks

Re: 5'' race tackometer

hi i am looking to put a 5'' race tachometer on my vmax and was wondering if any one could give me some input on what i would need if any thing other that the tach it self. also i noticed that some tack's only work on a motor with a disributor. which obviously the bike doesent have a distributor. so im also asking what type of tack can i put on there? thanks

Make sure it will work with 2cyl.

There are several out there, some make them, some buy them, some make car tachs work. Tom at Cycle One Off has a trick setup, and Lankee has modified some setups for ppl here.

Here are some you can buy:

http://www.discount-motorcycle-part...10000rpm-with-integral-shift-light-p-654.html

http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductGroupDisp.aspx?ProductGroupID=4001073

Any tach that has an option for 2 cylinder input. Just run the wires from the factory tach to provide power and signal. Obviously getting one that is waterproof would be a plus. You would have to fab a mounting bracket of some sort, but that should be fairly simple. Another option that you have (although not 5 inch) would be an SPA tach.

http://www.spatechnique.com/product_pages/tachometers.cfm

You can use the factory mounting cup and has an odometer and speedometer built in. I have an older model and like it for the most part (the lighting on the older models leaves some to be desired).

cool thanks alot. ya when i started thinking of doing it i started to make my mounting bracket cuz as soon i saw it on a vmax i had to have it. also i saw that set up on cycle one off about a month ago and it does look sick but $750 is a little rich for my blood.

Here you go.... lots to choose from:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10002_10339_-1_10331

I think Lankee is using the AutoGage series (made by Auto Meter) I also like the looks of some of the SunPro gauges, but I'm guessing the quality might not be there, but I have no experiences with them.

I'm looking for one as well, leaning towards one with memory, but who knows what I'll find.

oh ok i haven seen lankee's set up for the tach, but i did see his triple gage set up on the dash i really like that too.

ya thats what i thought too. looks like one off cycles gage set up sweet but expencive.

ya thats what i thought too. looks like one off cycles gage set up sweet but expencive.

No Offense to Tom and his gauge cluster setup but as to see a view from the front of the bike, its a cluster F in my opinion lines, tubing etc. Plus his gauge setup starts at around 700.00
I have figured out a way to make the 5in monster tach work with shiftlite and memory. Auto Meter and Autogauge tachs ONLY work on 4cyl, 6cyl, 8Cyl. but I have adapters with instructions if you are interested in buying one... Also if you would like a gauge setup contact me in email in what you are looking for. I can do as calm as a gauge setup to 6 gauges.. all are LED and the tach I am currently using digital state of the art! Indicators are all LED's including the backlights which can come in a variety of colors green, amber, blue, red, purple whatever ya want I can build you.. Plus I am cheaper than Tom at Cycleone and I answer my phone..

Nice work Tom! Even if you won't answer the phone when you see Lankee's number on the caller ID :rofl_200:

Personally I like the clean look, this has always been my favorite setup. Dyna Shift Minder. Under $200.00...easy to mount.

Attachments

• shiftminder.jpg
    shiftminder.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 63
Thats a clean setup Gary on the dragmax! Tom answered my call when I called him a yr ago to answer a question after I purchased a spin on adapter for my 85 engine. I take that back

Nice work Tom! Even if you won't answer the phone when you see Lankee's number on the caller ID :rofl_200:

Personally I like the clean look, this has always been my favorite setup. Dyna Shift Minder. Under $200.00...easy to mount.

No Offense to Tom and his gauge cluster setup but as to see a view from the front of the bike, its a cluster F in my opinion lines, tubing etc. Plus his gauge setup starts at around 700.00
I have figured out a way to make the 5in monster tach work with shiftlite and memory. Auto Meter and Autogauge tachs ONLY work on 4cyl, 6cyl, 8Cyl. but I have adapters with instructions if you are interested in buying one... Also if you would like a gauge setup contact me in email in what you are looking for. I can do as calm as a gauge setup to 6 gauges.. all are LED and the tach I am currently using digital state of the art! Indicators are all LED's including the backlights which can come in a variety of colors green, amber, blue, red, purple whatever ya want I can build you.. Plus I am cheaper than Tom at Cycleone and I answer my phone..

"and I answer my phone" ouch that hurt..

TC

i do have the dyna 3000 ignition so will a 4 cyl tach work with that or do i still need a
2 cyl tack ?

i do have the dyna 3000 ignition so will a 4 cyl tach work with that or do i still need a
2 cyl tack ?

I'm running the Dyna 3k as well and am still using the stock tach, so I'll be willing to go out on a limb and say yup, ya still need it to work with 2cyl.

O.k. now I have been thinking about this for quite some time now. Why do we need the tach to work on a 2 cylinder. I understand the VMax has a wasted spark. So wouldn't there be twice as many sparks as you would normally see with a 4 cylinder if we could use the orange wire coming from the pick ups? Wouldn't this then mimmic an 8 cylinder and avoid all of the problems you would have with trying to configure a tach to work off the gray wire?

Back