$74 for 4 orings?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
WTF is it with Yamaha pricing. :damn angry: Please.. someone direct me to someone who sells a 85 front caliper rebuild kit for a reasonable price..

Thanks

:punk: Rebar, you should get the 4 pistons with those o-rings. That's what cost so much. Good Luck, Spur

Trying to keep it stock rebuilt if I can. Arnt the fronts identical to the rear when it comes to seals? Found some rear seals for 20 some.. Now that's reasonable..

http://www.cyclebrakes.net/

:punk: Rebar, you should get the 4 pistons with those o-rings. That's what cost so much. Good Luck, Spur

Are the 93 and up the same size piston? I could use both sides..

Spur, you don't. It's about $144 if you want the pistons. Highway robbery. I would upgrade to Busa calipers. It's only $50 to rebuild those if necessary.

Ask the guys here (or myself) for some good used stock calipers. They should have a few laying around and I'm sure would be cheap for you.

Sean

Did you take your calipers apart yet - sometimes the seals can be salvaged, it's just crap built up around them that creates the leak. Once cleaned up, they are ok again.

Mike

Did you take your calipers apart yet - sometimes the seals can be salvaged, it's just crap built up around them that creates the leak. Once cleaned up, they are ok again.

Mike

No I have not. Thanks! Do I need to split the caliper in half to remove and reinstall the old orings?

If someone has 85 calipers with good paint on them I would consider buying.

No I have not. Thanks! Do I need to split the caliper in half to remove and reinstall the old orings?

If someone has 85 calipers with good paint on them I would consider buying.

Basically, there is one o ring and dust boot at the piston. Piston will come out with compressed air - than there are two small orings between the two caliper halves - Once they are completely apart and cleaned, sand with scrotchbrite and shoot with caliper paint - good as new.

Mike

To blow out piston need a compressor with air gun. Blow where brake line fits. Fit one of old pads back in caliper so that side stays in. Then other side will come out.

To blow out piston need a compressor with air gun. Blow where brake line fits. Fit one of old pads back in caliper so that side stays in. Then other side will come out.

and do not put fingers near the pistons.

and do not put fingers near the pistons.

Definitely keep the fingers out! Put a rag between the pistons before splitting, or wrap it up if you have split the 2 halves of the caliper.

I'll try to do some digging. (May not be able to look for a day or two. Bike night tonight and ballooning tomorrow night, so I won't be home.) I may have some seals left from when I rebuilt mine. Ended up not needing them. Let me know and I'll check. If interested, I'll let you have them cheap!

Got a PM back from Earl. Looks like about $225 to get mine rebuilt from him.

"Hey Mike,
The front, 2 piston calipers on the 1985 VMAX are larger than the front calipers on the MKI VR. The Seal Kits are $47.50 for EACH Front Caliper. The rear is the same for both the VMAX and the MKI VR. I can Disasemble, Ultrasonically Clean, Hone, Reseal, Repaint, and Reassemble the two front calipers for $100.00 each and the rear caliper for $75.00, You would need to ship your calipers to me for rebuild and then pay the shipping to have them shipped back. Basically, $300.00 for all three calipers, if the shipping is less, I will refund the difference. I realize that is a bunch of money,
mo%20money.gif
but they will be like brand new when I am done. If you are still interested, let me know,
Earl"

He's only making $50 per caliper to Disassemble, Ultrasonically Clean, Hone, Reseal, Repaint, and Reassemble. Then your sure your good to go. the other $50 go to 4 rubber orings.

Chances are that the orings may be good though. If they aren't cracked and brittle they should be fine to reuse. Take the bleeder out of our caliper and put the tip of your air compressor in there and blow the pistons out. As mark said use a pad or a thin piece of wood to block one side.

If the o rings are bad you might even be able to find something compatible at a local hardware or hydraulics place. There is a hardware store near me that has orings from 1/4" up to 3"'

Most time the outer dust seal gets worn looking a bit and some crap may get in there. I'd try to clean em up myself for free and spent a couple bucks on fluid and test them myself before I spent $300 on a rebuild of a set of calipers that are below par to begin with.

I would think for my $$$ I would go with the "busa caliper conversion, have them coated to your preferred color, and put any other $$$'s towards SS lines.
That way they would look brand new and you would have braking power on par with today's bikes!

Latest posts

Back