85 Drag Bike Project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after a disappointing day with Abe's bike, I did a little wiring on my drag bike and took it out for a test ride, and holey $hit is this thing going to be fun! There are a few hiccups but when I get this thing dialed in I think it will be a pretty good setup. Here is a quick vid of the very first ride on it, there are many "quick fixes" on it (including my oil container/fuel tank and wire nuts on my coil leads:ummm:) I have right at 1 month to have it ready for my first track day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAqKQ1mpfmw

Oh, and of course I had to do a smoky burnout in the driveway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE6Lmc20zcM

CHECK OUT THAT GRIN ON THE WAY BACK !!

Bike sounds awesome, and looks mean as hell. And man it's gotta be a great feeling when the turbo picks up - heard it instantly in the first two gears as you pulled off the first time.

I wanna have a go! Do you do straight line rentals?

Bet your neighbors love you too haha..

It's ALIVE! Nice job Jeff! Another monster is born :BigGrin:

it's alive.jpg

CHECK OUT THAT GRIN ON THE WAY BACK !!

Bike sounds awesome, and looks mean as hell. And man it's gotta be a great feeling when the turbo picks up - heard it instantly in the first two gears as you pulled off the first time.

I wanna have a go! Do you do straight line rentals?

Bet your neighbors love you too haha..

:rofl_200::rofl_200:That almost looks like a school across the street too!! :rofl_200::rofl_200:

WOW Jeff looks and sounds great! Let me know when you're bringing it up to Cordova for the first time. If I am free I am there!

Chris

:rofl_200::rofl_200:That almost looks like a school across the street too!! :rofl_200::rofl_200:

It's a hospital, it was a Sundy night, not too busy. I also live 2 houses down from a cop and live right next to a nursing home.... yes, I'm sure my neighbors love me:punk:. It is raining pretty hard here so I'm off from work already, I hope to try a few more thing out on Abe's bike and see if I can't figure this damn thing out.:bang head:

I don't remeber what Jeff said it was making for boost. I am going to estimate 160 rwhp with 7-8lbs of boost which the engine should handle.

Sean

The frame and suspension mods are going to make a HUGE difference as well... I think over the NOS bike THAT is what's going to make it faster. Oh and the fact that it weighs less too perhaps.

Have you weighed it Jeff?

Just wondering how much lighter it is. That turbo has to weigh something...

Dam Jeff! You are crazy as hell! That thing sounds like a big bock v8 coming down the road!

Why don't you just throw that motor in my bike and get me outta there? :biglaugh:

I don't remeber what Jeff said it was making for boost. I am going to estimate 160 rwhp with 7-8lbs of boost which the engine should handle.

Sean

Sean,

Dug up an old draw-thru dyno run... got a little wet when my shop got flooded. 8-9 PSI,1260, 8.5-1 compression ratio. Minor port blending stainless valves.

Draw Thru 8 PSI.jpg

Draw Thru 8 PSI1.jpg

Nice, shows I should be close on jeffs hp guess. He's 1300, with thick gaskets, no port work, and hopefully less boost.

Sean

For the first ride it sounds good!:clapping:
Dont you just love them first rides it feels like such an accomplishment to get it going after all the work..

Now just ride it dont put it on a dyno or take it to the track thats when it gets fusterating..

One more thing.... becareful with riding a slick on the street and gasing it, they will come out from you in a heart beat!!! I have a buddy that was testing his dragbike in a parking lot and the slick spun up fast and dumped his ass leaving him over 40 stitches up his arm not a pretty site. Even more so put a fucking helmet on!! I dont want to see your rear slick slide out from on the street when the turbo boost kicks on and splats...... well you know the formula for that.

Awesome job jeff. I have been crazy busy with work.that thing sounds awesome. let me know when you come up to cordova. I just got my cases split i had a spun bearing. I dont know if chris told you my valves were to tight and i was losing 2.5 psi. I got it between 13 13.5:1 when I got them all set it was a completely different bike and then starting knocking. My oil pump was completely clogged with somthing. thats what i get for not going thru a motor that set for 20yrs oh well the time has come. roy

That sucks Roy! So I take it Ottawa is out for you? Well I guess Paula isn't going to miss it after all... Doh...

Well now open her up and make some changes.

I would contact Morley for a high flow oil pump and other bits before buttoning it back up.

Chris

First off I want to say thanks again for everyone who has helped me on this project!!!

Second thing I want to say is....... TURBOS are the $HIT!!!!!!

I was able to load up the bike, take it to my buddy's house who lives out in the country on a straight road, and open this bad-boy up.... It is scary fast! I think I am around 8-10lbs of boost and (more than I want, but the waste gate set screw is backed off all the way) The motor seems to handle it well... for now anyway:punk:. I am on an old rear tire right now, but I was still able to stand the bike up on my launches. I have a 190 Shinko Stealth 003 ultra soft tire waiting for me in the garage, so I don't think traction should be too much of a problem. I didn't have a speedo on it, so I'm not sure what I got it up to, but it is FAST and runs straight and no wobbles as of yet. I have my first race in 2 weeks so we'll see where we are with times and MPH. This bike pulls 10 times harder than the 40 shot of NOS, so I'm hoping for some good numbers. I hope to have it dynoed as well at this rally/race. My guess is around 170 - 180 RWHP.

With the bike raked an extra 10 degrees I'm still floating the front wheel off the ground through 3rd gear, I really think this bike could be fast with the right rider..... I'm trying to decide if I want to try and run the wheelie bars or not? I played around with the Dyna3000 2 step, but it sucks with my setup! It comes on as it should, but then stays on way too long, or it loads the motor up... something funny is going on with it.

I'll try to get some more vids of the test runs up soon.

Later,

Jeff

Back