85 Drag Bike Project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a friend take a vid with my camera, but the sound never worked. It really is a bummer because it sounded sweet. The turbo is a lot quieter than I expected, but I'm sure I didn't get it spooled up much either. Anyway, I'll attach the vid so you can at least see my uguly mug. I'm in the gray sweatshirt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cwe75imQh4

O.k. I just posted this on the Turbo/Blower section, but thought I would post it here as well. I finally got some video and audio of the bike running. It sounds BAD ASS!!!!! I really like the Kerker, but IMO this has a low deep rumble and the whine from the turbo is pretty sweet too. Crank up the volume and enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X62PdtiIww

At about 38 seconds I turn off the enricher and it wants to fall on it's face when I give it a little throttle (you can see the white smoke a few times). The throttle response on this thing is unbelievable!

I said it on the other post...
But I'll say it again! because I watched it again!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

That is totally eFFin SWEEET!

Great Job Hubee!
Awesome!!

:smoke000::smoke000:

Was that good for you too? :biglaugh:

Sending that link on to other friends!

BAD ASS JEFF!

Oh and if you hit the HQ button the sound and picture improves a TON!:eusa_dance:

Hey Jeff, be sure to let it idle a bit (at least til your sure you don't hear the turbo whining at all) before you kill it. The bearings in the turbo are oiled from the motor, so when you shut the motor down, the oil stops. The turbine in the turbo can spin up to 150,000 rpm(higher on some, a lil lower on others) and with it being a non-ball bearing turbo, you wanna make sure there is oil supply while its spinning. Just wanted to mention it.

BTW, sounds TOTALLY AWESOME! Congrats!

Jeff,

Nice Job! Did some diggin and found some stuff you might be interested in. I'm going to send you the steering damper setup Monday no charge. ( the fork leg bracket dia. is 43 mm) Still diggin for the swingarm ...one more truck body to go through. Here's some pics of the other item's used on my first turbo bike, everything works fine.

The tach bracket setup bolts right up. The tach has a small issue in that the bulb socket is mucked up. It can be sent to Autometer for repair (can't cost too much) The nice feature is shiftlight adjustment at the line. The hole on the left is for a Mr Turbo Boost Gauge (2.5") The A/R meter is the thing you may be most interested in getting your hands on. If you want the whole setup you can have it for 200.00. The A/F meter alone goes for 275.00 without the Bosch sensor. There's also an Autometer Pro Light. I used it for a low oil pressure alarm, don't have the sender, you can get one on line at Summit. Anyway... here's some pics let me know if you want it. Don't let anybody tell you that you need more R's than 10K. As you run your bike you'll quickly learn that your vmax will like being short shifted. Remember turbo's like the load. Higher heated gases = more boost/power.

Attachments

• Damper.jpg
    Damper.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Group.jpg
    Group.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Mr Turbo.jpg
    Mr Turbo.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 36
  • Bosch.jpg
    Bosch.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Light Closeup.jpg
    Light Closeup.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 28
Well, I got the call I have been dreading for a while now..... My company has me on a 3 day work week.... the next move would be... well, I might be flipping burgers at the local McDonalds, but what ever I need to do, I'll do.

I'm not too worried, I have lots of connections and can find work pretty easily, but it won't pay as well and won't be as easy. I'm getting too close to this drag bike project to let it die, so I am going to make the most of what $$ I have left and try to get this completed. I still need gauges and an air shifter. I contacted Tom at Cycle One Off and I'm hoping I can get the air shifter kit through him. I found some cheaper gauges on eBay that I will probably end up getting, but who knows. I do have some parts to sell that should be able to offset the remainder parts I still need so I should (fingers crossed) be able to finish it without putting it on hold. I just found out a buddy is renting the 1/4 mile track nearest me to work on their 60' times at the end of March, so I'm hoping I can make that....
I guess I should have a few more days during the week to work on it now:eusa_dance::bang head::ummm:

Later,

Jeff

I just found out a buddy is renting the 1/4 mile track nearest me to work on their 60' times at the end of March, so I'm hoping I can make that....

Huh?

Sorry to hear about the job...

You may have to go back to your night job huh?

Chris

I got a little more work done on the bike tonight. The front brakes are done, the rear are close... may need to bleed them a little more, and the clutch feels great! I haven't had a chance to ride this beast yet, but I am getting close! I tried to get my new Phoenix drag slick mounted tonight, but the freaking thing won't bead up.... more grinding to the rim... AGAIN!!!! These slicks are starting to piss me off!!!!!!

My gauges should be coming any day now so I have the electrical system and the fuel system to get working on and then I should have a mostly complete drag bike. The only thing left for me to get would be the air shifter. Oh, and I have the drag bars to finish, the struts to finish, paint, kill switch, coolant leaks to stop...... I'm having a blast working on this, but I'm hoping the most fun is yet to be had! I really appreciate everyone's help. Oh, and I got the front fender spaced down a bit (THANKS MIKE!!! for donating the Delrin rod) and I have to mount the steering stab at some point (THANKS Turbo Gary for that donation!!!!) Damn, the more I write, the more I remember of the "things not done yet" so I'm gonna get going!

Jeff

Jeff, sorry to hear abot the work situation. Im in the same boat, I just got laid off today.

Let me/us know about the rented track, any of us welcome? or not?

Well, I got the call I have been dreading for a while now..... My company has me on a 3 day work week.... the next move would be... well, I might be flipping burgers at the local McDonalds, but what ever I need to do, I'll do.

I'm not too worried, I have lots of connections and can find work pretty easily, but it won't pay as well and won't be as easy. I'm getting too close to this drag bike project to let it die, so I am going to make the most of what $$ I have left and try to get this completed. I still need gauges and an air shifter. I contacted Tom at Cycle One Off and I'm hoping I can get the air shifter kit through him. I found some cheaper gauges on eBay that I will probably end up getting, but who knows. I do have some parts to sell that should be able to offset the remainder parts I still need so I should (fingers crossed) be able to finish it without putting it on hold. I just found out a buddy is renting the 1/4 mile track nearest me to work on their 60' times at the end of March, so I'm hoping I can make that....
I guess I should have a few more days during the week to work on it now:eusa_dance::bang head::ummm:

Later,

Jeff

Back