anyone tried a "wrap"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgswss

Reaction score
I was watching a marathon of fast n loud and they did a wrap on some race car abolition. But the "chrome" wrap looked great (at least on TV) Has anyone ever tried a chrome wrap on v-max parts? Just thinking...

I have some thicker chrome wrap here but not sure it will contour very well on the body parts.

I think Gannon's wife (really testing my memory here) was a 3M Dinoc dealer or something like that. The Dinoc stuff is super thin and goes into corners and contours very well. I would definitely consider re-wrapping all my carbon tins in that carbon wrap.

2 or 3 members of the vmax club in holland (VMCH) do have thier bikes wrapped. From a distance, let's say 1 meter, it looks awsome. But getting closer you'll noticed that at the corners of the parts it isn't that great.

Sent from my SIII using Tapatalk

i had a wrap done probably 15 years ago. it worked quite well actually.

can try hydrodipped parts also......think thats what its called. seen it used on plastics to guns.....why not a max

I ve wrapped two trucks and two bikes now.

Works very well. You want to use 3m products. They are the most durable and worked the best for my applications.

Todd

And from my understanding the chrome wrap isnt all that great. That is coming from two professional buddies of mine that wrap for a living.

Todd

I saw some paint which act like a wrap. You can peel it off once you're tired of it and without damaging the original paint.
I found the concept pretty cool.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Here's a link to the wrap we did many moons ago. Held up well except in extreme heat which softened the glue. Keep in mind this was the very early years in wraps and I am sure the bonding agents are much better now.

I do have some of the 3M carbon wrap if someone wants to get some to play with.

Here's the other overlay I have. I have brushed stainless, chrome, brushed copper, and shiny copper on hand.
www.AlsaCorp.com

I checked into getting my parts wrapped. It was more than a custom paint job. So I ordered some chrome wrap from E-bay and gave it a shot. The stuff I got didn't bend well. It was near impossible to bend it in two directions, like on the rear fender. I was dissappointed, and thought I might have got bad material.Or I heated it too much. I watched a pro do it and the result was near perfect.The vender refunded my $$.
Steve

I tried some of the chrome wrap. It scratches easily and if your paint underneath has orange peel, it will magnify that in the chrome wrap. Also, it is not flexible enough to to wrap around the curves of the Vmax body panels.

Mike

I'm wondering how hard hydro-coating would be to do at home.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

My body work is hydrodipped. From what I've been told, the wrap can go back if it get any moisture in it from the air.

Here's a link to the wrap we did many moons ago. Held up well except in extreme heat which softened the glue. Keep in mind this was the very early years in wraps and I am sure the bonding agents are much better now.

I do have some of the 3M carbon wrap if someone wants to get some to play with.

Here's the other overlay I have. I have brushed stainless, chrome, brushed copper, and shiny copper on hand.
www.AlsaCorp.com

Wow! that Alsa stuff looks great! Sean, have you ever tired it on something like the tank or scopes. I would love to get them done in black chrome, but frankly I would rather get frame braces and SS cables first. Of course with an almost $200 a month bill for Obamacare, my SS check is spread real thin right now.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Craig

I'm wondering how hard hydro-coating would be to do at home.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

We do hydro graphics and its nice, but to get 100% perfect images its near impossible.

I ve seen hydro graphic only companies ( we only offer it as a service, its not a mainstay of what we do ) that can't pull this off. If you expect perfect, get it airbrushed. Even a wrap wont be perfect because it stretches.

Todd

Stay with stock fibers. The rest of the products give a variety of holding power. So, depends on what you are looking for.

Latest posts

Back