Are new fork springs enough

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwilson410

Reaction score
:ummm:Hey guys fitting new steering head bearings and new billet fork brace to my 98 Max. Have also ordered a new set of progressive fork springs. Will the oil change and fork springs be enough to help the front end or do I need Intiminators or Emulators which I can't really afford at the minute!

Michael!

:ummm:Hey guys fitting new steering head bearings and new billet fork brace to my 98 Max. Have also ordered a new set of progressive fork springs. Will the oil change and fork springs be enough to help the front end or do I need Intiminators or Emulators which I can't really afford at the minute!

Michael!

I'm on my third vmax and the last two I only did the progressive fork springs and new oil. That alone is fine to make the front end not bottom out and more responsive. On my latest vmax, I have the progressive spring and lowering kit (1" only) with the intimidators. I have to admit, I love the quick response and how sensitive the front end is now to this combination. Not all like this setup, but I for one do.

New springs/ correct oil wt. will make a huge difference, I know it did with my '92(Progressive Springs 2" lowering kit). Later I installed Ricor Intiminators (much like Race Tech gold valve emulators) and used 5 wt fork oil which adds a level of smoothness but wasn't the big improvement like the springs were. The spring will eliminate the fork dive while braking. :punk:

I have springs, emulators and BG Fluid. It's just a tweak more input than I need. but I'll live with it. It's a thousand percent improvement over stock. Sean Morley did and exchange for me so the work on this end was a Piece of Cake...:biglaugh:

Thanks guys, I'll go for the springs and oil for the moment and see how things go!

Cheers Michael

I had the springs when I got the bike. Heavier oil mad a small difference. The Ricor Intimators made a BIG difference, to me. They eliminated the 'vagueness' in the front that I always found so disconcerting.

The nice thing is, adding them later is piss easy - you just drain the oil, pull the springs out, drop the Intimators, replace springs, add 5W oil and possibly (i did not) cut down the spacers above the springs by height of the inserts.

Back