Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello
Well at last I have bought a Gen 1 vmax.

I met a guy who was buying a new Harley and he told me he had a 1995 vmax which he had bought new, sitting in his garage.

I quickly asked if he wanted to sell it and he said yes.
We walked to his house and in the garage; sitting sadly in the corner covered in old torn bed sheets was a beautiful vmax except with flat tires, a flat battery

I looked at the speedo and it had just over 1000 miles. Hey?
This guy had bought it new and he never liked it because he shit himself ridding it especially when the V boost cut in.

He hadn’t ridden it for three years and asked me if I would give him $800 for it.

That night it was sitting in my garage.

The next day I bought two new tires and a battery. I cleaned the tank, gave it an oil change and plugs and fuel filter. I touched the starter and it fired straight up.

I have been riding it and it’s been going okay but suddenly I have a problem and maybe someone can help.

I was riding it yesterday and when it was cold, it was back firing through the carby and exhaust
It was as if there was too much fuel in the system and once it was all used or gone it ran okay again, of course I could be wrong but it seemed like a fuel problem. Maybe it’s a spark plug lead short, I just don’t know yet

Maybe I need to adjust the float level or something.
I am looking foir some advice, videos, on adjusting the float levels or advice on what the problem may be

I am looking forward to hearing from everyone
And it’s great to be a new member of this site

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like there might be just a bit of crud that has gotten into the carbs, they are very susceptible to stuff like that, and also crud from E-10 gas. You can try some sea foam, or trying draining the carbs.

here is a link for the peashooter method of cleaning the carbs...http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=25639&highlight=shooter

And here is the shotgun method of cleaning them. Report back if your still having problems and someone on the forum, can get you pointed in the right way.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Again, welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like there might be just a bit of crud that has gotten into the carbs, they are very susceptible to stuff like that, and also crud from E-10 gas. You can try some sea foam, or trying draining the carbs.

here is a link for the peashooter method of cleaning the carbs...http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=25639&highlight=shooter

And here is the shotgun method of cleaning them. Report back if your still having problems and someone on the forum, can get you pointed in the right way.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Again, welcome to the forum.

I'd start out with some seafoam like Tramahawk suggested. I don't think its uncommon for a Vmax to run a little ruff, when its cold, as long as it clears up when it warms up.

Another new member here. Just picked up a 1998 vmax with 9500 miles. Has been sitting for a while starting tearing into already got old gas out found mouse nest in breather. Next step removing and cleaning carbs. This is my first bike am I in over my head?

Never over your head here just need DEEEEEP pockets .. Should be a piece of cake lots of people here to help and lots of great threads to help educate yourself to do the work yourself and save some monkey money .. Welcome aboard !!!!

I hope not too deep! Lol wife has me on a budget. I pick up rather quickly plan on doing all work myself. Why better way to learn your machine. Just don't know much about yet so I get nervous

DEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPP. I think the Vmax is highly susceptible to having the ethanol separate out of the gas and render the bike inoperable. Perhaps its the shape of the tank or something.

Carry lots of 90% rubbing alcohol with you and pour generously but not liberally. Or, move to a state where ethanol is illegal.

Hi everyone...I just sold my Honda Shadow and hopefully finalize my purchase of my dream bike since High School, a 07 VMAX with 9000 miles. I am by no means mechanical, the bike I hope to get has "progressive springs" and " UFO exhaust". Can anyone tell me what these add ons are and if they are good? What should I look for on this bike to make sure it's not "tore up". Is a carfax a waste of $.... If the bike is nice, what is a fair price?

thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. Progressive is the manufacturer of springs. So usually when someone says progressive springs, they mean replacing the front "stock" springs, but the rear springs could be progressive as well. From what Ive been told, a UFO exhaust is very good...but LOUD.

Ask and see if you can ride the bike. as you go thru the gears, get on it in 2nd gear, just to make certain that it is good. If 2nd gear is bad, it will pop out of gear when you get on it.

I would say 5500...maybe 6000. Some people might say less, but it really comes down to if you can afford it, if you think its a good price, and are willing to pay it. I paid 6500 for my 07 (dealership prices) a little over 2 years ago. Some people might say I paid too much, but I got what i wanted.

ANY question you have about a Vmax can be answered by this forum.

I financed $6k for a near-showroom 07 with 14k on it in December here in Wichita Falls. Only mod was a K&N drop in. Just food for thought.

What's up? Been a member for awhile, just haven't posted. Any questions I have had about my 95 I have found answers for up to this point just by searching, massive amount of Max knowledge on here.

Lately I have been getting more obsessed with my Max and will no doubt have more questions.....I have my carbs off for cleaning as we speak. I'm sure questions will arise when I try to tune her up to run like the raped ape she was before it gummed up.

So keep it up everyone....and right on to Traumahawk for helping me find a part I was looking for.

Peace out

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just got a 2001 VMax last Oct. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a set of slip-on exhaust to add on? I would rather not mess with the jetting on the carbs. Also if anyone knows of a decent mechanic to do some work on the bike for me . I live on Staten Island New York. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Delkevic makes a nice slip-on that is reasonably priced. You can find them on ebay or at their website. There are also some nice youtube videos that shows the different sounds they offer.

As far as a mechanic in New York goes, I would have no idea!

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just got a 2001 VMax last Oct. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a set of slip-on exhaust to add on? I would rather not mess with the jetting on the carbs. Also if anyone knows of a decent mechanic to do some work on the bike for me . I live on Staten Island New York. Thanks for any help you can offer.

What do you need done Ray Ban? I'm a couple hours north of you in Columbia County and might be able to help you out....send me a PM.

And, welcome to the forum.

Hey all...just a quick intro and already a few thanks to hand out as a new vmax owner and partipant on this forum.

Always wanted a vmax since they came out in 85. Finally got a deal on one via ebay in october. An 06 with less than 3000 miles. As expected I have put another 1000 into a bike that sat dormant for a couple years. While the carbs had been rebuilt a few hundred miles before my purchase. ..I just had them done again. It now purrs like a kitten.

After the usual experiments with yamaha dealers in Tampa, I finally networked into kyle clegg who did a fast and fair priced job on cleaning my carbs and basically tuning it in what I perceive as original form. Since I am not much of a mechanic or tinkerer, I definitely need someone like kyle on my team.

I also had great responses from sean and Danny of this forum. ..so I now feel more secure in the purchase. Thanks guys.

Now I just need a cruiser for long distance trips. So I open this up for experienced opinions. Should I buy a vstar, kawasaki concourse, or a Honda vtx or Valkerie? Thanks in advance for your opinion. Tman...over and out

Not really new, but finally doing mods to my bike. I just put on the UFO 4-1 Drag exhaust. I need to get a jet kit soon, but can I shim the jets to adjust the carbs. When I ran it in my shed, I did see a small flame shoot out exhaust. Guess I need to lean out the fuel mixture. Is this correct?

I have always been told that a LEAN motorcycle will have flames in the exhaust. Basically its so lean, that it wont light in the combustion chamber, but will light in the exhaust pipe.

It is the NEEDLES that you need to shim....not the jets. With an aftermarket exhaust, I have always been told its best to shim the needles, to richen up the mid section.

Hey all...just a quick intro and already a few thanks to hand out as a new vmax owner and partipant on this forum.

Always wanted a vmax since they came out in 85. Finally got a deal on one via ebay in october. An 06 with less than 3000 miles. As expected I have put another 1000 into a bike that sat dormant for a couple years. While the carbs had been rebuilt a few hundred miles before my purchase. ..I just had them done again. It now purrs like a kitten.

After the usual experiments with yamaha dealers in Tampa, I finally networked into kyle clegg who did a fast and fair priced job on cleaning my carbs and basically tuning it in what I perceive as original form. Since I am not much of a mechanic or tinkerer, I definitely need someone like kyle on my team.

I also had great responses from sean and Danny of this forum. ..so I now feel more secure in the purchase. Thanks guys.

Now I just need a cruiser for long distance trips. So I open this up for experienced opinions. Should I buy a vstar, kawasaki concourse, or a Honda vtx or Valkerie? Thanks in advance for your opinion. Tman...over and out
Welcome to the forum ! Glad your happy with the bike . As far a long distance bike I always lean towards the Goldwing & Valkyrie but that is just my personal like's

Latest posts

Back